Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Fix

Thanks to Anacoda281 for the idea...here's my tweak.

Used "Industrial Strength" VELCRO available a Home Depot, Lowes and other places.

Placing the fuzzy portion of the velcro as shown below disrupts the air flow through the pivot assembly area and has in my case stopped to the annoying whistle.

2012 Camry XLE 2.5 4-cyl, Super White

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Thanks to Anacoda281 for the idea...here's my tweak.

Used "Industrial Strength" VELCRO available a Home Depot, Lowes and other places.

Placing the fuzzy portion of the velcro as shown below disrupts the air flow through the pivot assembly area and has in my case stopped to the annoying whistle.

2012 Camry XLE 2.5 4-cyl, Super White
had piece of sticky Velcro in my garage, will see if it works.
nice find, it fits perfectly and pretty tight.
I cut triangular pieces of Velcro, bent mirrors back and placed Velcro so it cover gap on the front surface of the mirror housing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems like many of our wind noise issues are different. different things we do somehow some the same issue.

I FINALLY found the reason why mine caused this whistling noise. It has nothing to do w/ the gaps between the mirror and the pillar holding it or where the plastic meets the painted part of the mirror.

I noticed that the square panel on the underside of the mirror was not "snapped in". So I took a look at the passenger side and it was flush.

I pushed in the panel to try to make it as flush as possible and applied a small amount of electrical tape to around the panel to prevent leaks. And voila! No more whistling noise. :lol:

So now I no longer have ugly tape around the pillar or the front side of the mirror, just on the underside where you can't see it!

Hope this helps some of you.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

had piece of sticky Velcro in my garage, will see if it works.
nice find, it fits perfectly and pretty tight.
I cut triangular pieces of Velcro, bent mirrors back and placed Velcro so it cover gap on the front surface of the mirror housing.
well, it works.
it lowered wind noise coming from mirror housing.
but noise that I was complaining about (coming from driver window/B-pillar area) still noticeable...

recently I spoke to toyota adviser and he said that more than few people complained about air coming from window switch bezels, but nobody besides me complained about wind noise...

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, it works.
it lowered wind noise coming from mirror housing.
but noise that I was complaining about (coming from driver window/B-pillar area) still noticeable...

recently I spoke to toyota adviser and he said that more than few people complained about air coming from window switch bezels, but nobody besides me complained about wind noise...
I haven't noticed air coming from the window switch bezels. Afraid to evaluate closer. :facepalm: Any clue where the air is coming from?

As much activity as this thread has had, I'd be amazed if Toyota hasn't been made aware there is a problem with whistle from the mirror or near the B-pillar seals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All Camry Gen 7 owners with noticeable wind noise...
I am experiencing the same driver side wind noise issue and went to the dealership twice and call Toyota Customer Experience Center and these TRAINED technician and representative are totally clueless and not trying to improve their quality. It is the typical bouncing the ball technique.
1. These "Trained" technician can't hear wind noises and told me to turn on the radio if I hear this noise.
2. They said that all 2012 Camry having the same wind noise and it is normal.
3. They told me there is nothing they can do to as it is manufactured this way.

What is the best approach for Toyota to recognize and admit there is a design flaw in the side view mirror and take the appropriate action to address this annoying problem? It is indeed annoying hear that wind noise. This vehicle has been out for quite some time and I am so shocking to know that they have not hear anything about it. Is this the Toyota Quality?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Has anyone posted a youtube vid documenting the noise? That may bring more attention to the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took my SE to dealer today, took 4hours,
as i expected, "cannot hear any special noise ", stupid technicians just drove a bit and filed the issue......
I guess the Toyota technician certification class doesn't include hearing test for sure. I am sure the deceive class is part of the certification. I took the car to the dealership twice and they claimed they do not hear anything whistling noise and it is operating NORMAL.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I guess the Toyota technician certification class doesn't include hearing test for sure. I am sure the deceive class is part of the certification. I took the car to the dealership twice and they claimed they do not hear anything whistling noise and it is operating NORMAL.
My buddy took his venza to dealer because it was making noises (something was vibrating and rattling when going over the bumps) and after two test drives they said everything normal. But they tried to replace his air and cabin filter, deodorize his AC and replace his rear wiper, all for just $250 or so.
When he requested to go for test drive together with service manager and tech, they heard it right away…
Per service manager at my local dealer a lot of people complaining about air coming from switch bezel, but nobody but me and one more person complained about wind noise. Guess most people driving with radio on.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
I haven't noticed air coming from the window switch bezels. Afraid to evaluate closer. :facepalm: Any clue where the air is coming from?
it coming from window regulator switch plate/bezel, from right around window up/down switch.
I added some sound deadener and put two layers of flees (local walmart $3 per sq. foot) on the door cart. It work as a noise and wind barier.Less road noise and better sound now, but I still can hear wind noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
it coming from window regulator switch plate/bezel, from right around window up/down switch.
I added some sound deadener and put two layers of flees (local walmart $3 per sq. foot) on the door cart. It work as a noise and wind barier.Less road noise and better sound now, but I still can hear wind noise.
Don't you think that Toyota should get their hands dirty and fix this wind noise issue faster than vehicle owners? They seemed not care! Boycott all their cars.....

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Don't you think that Toyota should get their hands dirty and fix this wind noise issue faster than vehicle owners? They seemed not care! Boycott all their cars.....
you are right.
unfortunately, I cannot boycott camry because I already bought it...
:)
I've done my part: I already complained about it, spend 1.5 hrs at the dealer ship and been told since all 2012 camry doing the same it is normal, but manager admitted that it is not normal and they don't have a fix for it. :)...
they can fix something only if it is broken or TSB issued.
dealer filed my complain to Toyota, but I've been told that they need certain quantity of complains to start investigation and issue TSB if toyota will find problem...
I don't expect extra ordinary comfort and quality from 25K car, but sometimes things like that really make me thinking that I should've buy something else (my next chose was used ES3500).

·
Registered
12 Posts
you are right.
unfortunately, I cannot boycott camry because I already bought it...
:)
I've done my part: I already complained about it, spend 1.5 hrs at the dealer ship and been told since all 2012 camry doing the same it is normal, but manager admitted that it is not normal and they don't have a fix for it. :)...
they can fix something only if it is broken or TSB issued.
dealer filed my complain to Toyota, but I've been told that they need certain quantity of complains to start investigation and issue TSB if toyota will find problem...
I don't expect extra ordinary comfort and quality from 25K car, but sometimes things like that really make me thinking that I should've buy something else (my next chose was used ES3500).

Hi David,
Don't forget that Lexus share parts with Toyota to minimize their overhead cost. They are all the same .....Remember when they do recalls? All inclusive....no exceptions, all models recalled. I think everyone should file the "Toyota Customer Claim Form" to their National Center for Dispute Settlement @ PO BOX 688, Mt.Clemens, MI, 48046. So they are aware of how many complains they are having for this type of small but truely annoying problems. "While you drive enjoy the speed and hearing this ABNORMAL wind noise". Is this a Toyota trade mark and quality? Toyota treat their customers like junk for sure, especiall those dealership service departments.....don't believe their commercials/Ad at all...all Lies....The Service Manager tells me ..even it is a problem but we don't have a solution for it...."We simply can't fix it."
I was thinking....please just admit that you have a hearing problem and need to see an audiologist. Let Toyota get those technician a pair of hearing aid to better diagnose consumer's concerns. This is 1100% NOT ACCEPTABLE.....TOYOTA, Do you hear us?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi David,
Don't forget that Lexus share parts with Toyota to minimize their overhead cost. They are all the same .....Remember when they do recalls? All inclusive....no exceptions, all models recalled. I think everyone should file the "Toyota Customer Claim Form" to their National Center for Dispute Settlement @ PO BOX 688, Mt.Clemens, MI, 48046. So they are aware of how many complains they are having for this type of small but truely annoying problems. "While you drive enjoy the speed and hearing this ABNORMAL wind noise". Is this a Toyota trade mark and quality? Toyota treat their customers like junk for sure, especiall those dealership service departments.....don't believe their commercials/Ad at all...all Lies....The Service Manager tells me ..even it is a problem but we don't have a solution for it...."We simply can't fix it."
I was thinking....please just admit that you have a hearing problem and need to see an audiologist. Let Toyota get those technician a pair of hearing aid to better diagnose consumer's concerns. This is 1100% NOT ACCEPTABLE.....TOYOTA, Do you hear us?
All 2012 Camry owners - We deserve a response from Toyota Engineer department and they need to admit this is not NORMAL and must be addressed ASAP.:clap:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope Toyota resolve the problem for everyone who's having this problem. I have the 2012 SE V6 with acoustic windshield and so far I'm content with wind noise level. Not perfect but it's not as if this is a luxury vehicle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
261 Posts
I hope Toyota resolve the problem for everyone who's having this problem. I have the 2012 SE V6 with acoustic windshield and so far I'm content with wind noise level. Not perfect but it's not as if this is a luxury vehicle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Do all the models come with Acoustic Windshields (XLE)?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Hi David,
yep, I know about lexus sharing parts with Toyota, especially ES. But somehow ES drives much nicer and quieter than even 12’ camry.
Of course for the brand new 12’ camry LE-SE price I could’ve get 2009 ES with 30-40K so I decided to get brand new car.
I do not regret, I love camry, but little details which could’ve and should’ve been fixed before car went on sale sure make difference between good and great car.

It actually might be a good idea to contact National Center for Dispute Settlement.
I’ll do it. I hope everyone who having same issue will contact them as well.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
acoustic windshield has nothing to do with mirrors and B-pillars noise.
it probably makes ride bit quiter, but does not effect flow of the air outside of the car.

121 - 140 of 330 Posts
About this Discussion
329 Replies
92 Participants
molson.david
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing