Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 330 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
just spoke to my buddy in CA. he got V-6 SE couple weeks ago.
he hear no wind noise from mirrors and driver B-pillar, but there is clear wind noise from passenger side B-pillar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just spoke to my buddy in CA. he got V-6 SE couple weeks ago.
he hear no wind noise from mirrors and driver B-pillar, but there is clear wind noise from passenger side B-pillar.
I strongly feel the driver side rear view mirror is a defective parts on some Camry models. Does SE v6 using the same mirror parts?
It is very annoying to know that Toyota Keep messed up in their design and lowered their quality standard. It is super funny when I see their ad - "We are ready, are you". "We raised our voices, where is yours?". "We tested drive your defective product. Please improve."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Possible fix

I have a Camry hybrid LE 2012 and also noticed the excessive wind noise. This thread is very helpful.

I know quite some about the fluid mechanics, so I analyze mirror shape a little bit. I noticed the rear view mirror have a sharp edge on the side close to the car window, and air flow will separate at the edge and leaving large and unstable eddies behind. Those eddies are the reason for the noise. The idea is to stick a pad with rough surface at the inside leading edge of the mirror body, the air flow over the sticky pad will become turbulent early, mixing well to reduce the occurrence of the trailing large eddies. I used the "Velcro sticky back", (not the fuzzy side). It does not reduce noise when it is 40 MPH, but does seem to improve at the highway speed. If you are interested, you can try this out and see if it is any good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Camry hybrid LE 2012 and also noticed the excessive wind noise. This thread is very helpful.

I know quite some about the fluid mechanics, so I analyze mirror shape a little bit. I noticed the rear view mirror have a sharp edge on the side close to the car window, and air flow will separate at the edge and leaving large and unstable eddies behind. Those eddies are the reason for the noise. The idea is to stick a pad with rough surface at the inside leading edge of the mirror body, the air flow over the sticky pad will become turbulent early, mixing well to reduce the occurrence of the trailing large eddies. I used the "Velcro sticky back", (not the fuzzy side). It does not reduce noise when it is 40 MPH, but does seem to improve at the highway speed. If you are interested, you can try this out and see if it is any good.
Thanks! Would you mind post your image of what you did? We are the genuine pigs of Toyota. what a shame for Toyota doing this to their customers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! Would you mind post your image of what you did? We are the genuine pigs of Toyota. what a shame for Toyota doing this to their customers.

I think it is totally not car owner's responsibilty to figure out what is the best remedy. Toyota failed terrible on this issue....Totally.....Totally Failed. Their dealership failed to be authorized dealership. They should stand up and tell us that these must be recalled and repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. I picked it up about a month ago and now have 1200 miles on the odometer. As soon as I picked up the car and drove it home (about 80 miles from the dealer), I noticed wind noise coming from the top of the drivers window. My wife heard it from the passenger's seat. I had a chance to take it back to the dealer a week later and have them check it out. They took it for a drive and when the technician returned I was told that the " window glass channel" needed to be replaced. The part needed to be ordered so I returned today to have it installed. It took about an hour. After we left the dealer we drove 260 miles and most of the trip was around 70 mph. The wind noise was completely gone. After reading posts here regarding this problem I was concerned. I hope this may help you guys that have been struggling to find a fix for this problem. I absolutely love the car. We averaged 41.2 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I filed a case with Toyota and this is what they have responded: They apologize...doesn't mean anything! LOL

We apologize for the concerns you have experienced with the wind noise on your 2012 Camry.

According to our records, xxxxx your case manager, worked with you and your dealer to address the concerns with your Camry. The notes in your case indicate her research with Tim, Service Manager at Toyota of Concord and that he advised after testing your Camry and other similar vehicles on his lot that the sound was a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle.

This position has not changed and is Toyota's final position in this matter. If you no longer want the vehicle, arbitration would be your next step. Arbitration paperwork was mailed to you on May 4, 2012 and you will need to follow the instructions on the paperwork to proceed with that process. You can also find a copy of the arbitration application in the middle of your Owner's Warranty Rights booklet in your glove compartment.

We again apologize for the situation you encountered with your vehicle and we are sorry for any inconvenience or expense you may incur.

-----Just fix the damn car for all 2012 Camry owner. I think they do have several versions of side view mirror and don't know if 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE has the same or different side view mirror. Any way, the side view mirror is definitely defective parts for sure. Toyota needs to fix it soon or later ....maybe a class action will take care of it.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE. I picked it up about a month ago and now have 1200 miles on the odometer. As soon as I picked up the car and drove it home (about 80 miles from the dealer), I noticed wind noise coming from the top of the drivers window. My wife heard it from the passenger's seat. I had a chance to take it back to the dealer a week later and have them check it out. They took it for a drive and when the technician returned I was told that the " window glass channel" needed to be replaced. The part needed to be ordered so I returned today to have it installed. It took about an hour. After we left the dealer we drove 260 miles and most of the trip was around 70 mph. The wind noise was completely gone. After reading posts here regarding this problem I was concerned. I hope this may help you guys that have been struggling to find a fix for this problem. I absolutely love the car. We averaged 41.2 mpg on the highway.
this is interesting.
first: how did you manage to convince technician to hear that noise?
most of them are deaf and blind :)
second: window glass channel is it rubber piece which goes inside of window frame?
it is was my initial "suspect" but dealer convinced me that it is impossible...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for upload this picture! It is helpful. I put some 3M 468 MP 200MP Adhesive along the side of the driver side view mirror.

Here are some pics:
http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_2398.JPG

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_23971.jpg

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_23991.JPG

Thanks for keep this post full of useful information. Toyota....really needs to read this.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not the response I would expect from Toyota. I should have stayed with my 2009 Maxima. I even hear the noise with my window down. It is a design flaw that they should correct period. I don't need an apology nor should I incur any expense due to their design error. My car is coming due for its first scheduled maintenance 5k. I will be talking to the service manager about this. I will let everyone know what he says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for upload this picture! It is helpful. I put some 3M 468 MP 200MP Adhesive along the side of the driver side view mirror.

Here are some pics:
http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_2398.JPG

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_23971.jpg

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/data/500/IMG_23991.JPG

Thanks for keep this post full of useful information. Toyota....really needs to read this.....
not sure that you did the same thing as me. Please note the 3 pads on my picture, those are close to the edge of the mirror housing where air pass through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure that you did the same thing as me. Please note the 3 pads on my picture, those are close to the edge of the mirror housing where air pass through.
Yeah, I saw that and thanks for sharing. If I could take this mirror down I would do it.

Do you notice the cover under the side view mirrow is not fit suugglely. It sticks out being not fit perfectly.. .....this is another sign of defective parts.

I am thinking about trading this vehicle in after all these bs that I had to put up with Toyota. Not worth of my time to fight for something so small.....I wish this is like buying merchandise at Walmart....return if I don't like it....No questions asked!

·
Registered
5 Posts
this is interesting.
first: how did you manage to convince technician to hear that noise?
most of them are deaf and blind :)
second: window glass channel is it rubber piece which goes inside of window frame?
it is was my initial "suspect" but dealer convinced me that it is impossible...
I was very impressed with the service department. I called them after I originally picked up the car and told them about the wind noise. They never hesitated to make an appointment to evaluate the noise. They had the car for an hour to initially check it out. When they returned the car they simply stated that the window glass channel needed to be replaced and the part needed to be ordered. I am assuming that the part is the rubber surrounding the window but I am not positive. I asked if this was a common problem. The service manager said he was only aware of one other case. The work order did not have a part number. Under the column OPERATION it listed "96TOZ" and OPERATION DESCRIPTION as BODY REPAIR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to edit my last post.

The work order did not have a part number. Under the column OPERATION it listed "96TOZ" and OPERATION DESCRIPTION as BODY REPAIR.
I just received a work order in the mail from the dealer and it does include a part number for the glass channel. 68151-06090 RUN. FR DOOR GLAS

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think a lot of "wind" noise is actually tire/road noise. I drove a few hundred miles of Interstate this past weekend and drove on grooved concrete, smooth concrete, weathered asphault, and silky-smooth new asphault. Each surface made a BIG difference in the ambient noise level in the car.

So here's my 2 cents: The car is so well insulated from sound, the windows are the primary source of road noise. And road surface plays a big role in noise.

I suggest that anyone with a wind noise issue to turn the sound system off and drive at highway speed on various road surfaces. I bet you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think a lot of "wind" noise is actually tire/road noise. I drove a few hundred miles of Interstate this past weekend and drove on grooved concrete, smooth concrete, weathered asphault, and silky-smooth new asphault. Each surface made a BIG difference in the ambient noise level in the car.

So here's my 2 cents: The car is so well insulated from sound, the windows are the primary source of road noise. And road surface plays a big role in noise.

I suggest that anyone with a wind noise issue to turn the sound system off and drive at highway speed on various road surfaces. I bet you will notice a difference.
I am totslly disagreed with your post here. We are all experience driver and can simply distinguish what wind noise or road noise are after 20+ years of driving experience. You just lucky to get the Camry that is not defective or creating noises. You are welcome to drive my vehicle to see what we are talking about here. Not every car made the same even with same parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my windows tinted last week and I haven't experienced the same wind noise as before or at least it's not making that minor whistling noise anymore. I think that whatever minute gap was filled by the tint. I am wondering if everyone who has the same whistling noise doesn't have any tint? Which makes me think that the problem is the window channel being too thin in some areas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dont know why it took me so long at thread. This is my first toyota and i thought they all sounded like that.
Same here, thought my camry is in the top fifty quiet family sedan in the world.:lol::lol::lol:

141 - 160 of 330 Posts
About this Discussion
329 Replies
92 Participants
molson.david
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing