Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I"m trying to replace the distributor cap on my camry, and i got the old one off, looked at it, there's a monstrous crack in it, like almost running all the way through cutting it in two, stops just short of the other end.

Anyways, I'm trying to put the new one on, but i can't get the lower screw on. There's three screw to hold it on, i got the top one, and the one to the side, but not the bottom one,, and idea how to get it on there?

BTW, i have a 2vz gen2.

Thanks.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Yes! Just did the same thing myself let me go get the socket size and extension you need, and how small ratchet you need...

BRB

*goes downstairs*

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that won't help, i got it from napa, teh screws are round. I could use the old one, i think it used a 8mm.

the problem is if i use an extension that is long enough, i can't get it anywhere near there because there are hoses right in front of the cap, so i hafta use a screwdriver. That's how i had to get it off, it was such a bitch! i had to get a screw driver into the screw, and then use another screwdriver and pushed that through the little hole in the screwdriver, so i could like use that as a handle :lol:

EDIT: I think i might just hafta take off the cap completely again, and put the screw in first. Cuz there's like no room to even look down there, or stick more than one finger at a time, so u can't really move the screw around much

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah dude, i've tried that, the hoses are in the way:( I think i'll try again monday morning or something.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
*Goes outside to show you how its done*

Although I have a 3sfe so I have more clearance, but the process should be relatively the same, just take off the hoses you need to so you can do it well and get it on there tight.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
Remove air hose too, if you don't already know (which I am sure you do know) Oh and if you can just use the old screws:confused: Props on the ghetto rigged screwdriver solution!

Ok location of screws and hose ratchet clearance:

Screw 1 on top:

Screw 2 on bottom:

Screw 3 behind on bottom:

Close-up of number 3 showing clearance from hoses:

You'll get it buddy!:thumbup:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
^geeze dude, you turnin into 88 le with the cool pics and what not.

the bolts on mine also had a philips head on them, so you can use a scewdriver also. i found the screwdriver easier to take off the dizzy with

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i probably shoudla updated this...i got it on yesterday (or maybe it was two days ago, whatever, the point is i got it), just got in a new snorkel hose, so that'll go on when i work on teh car next (prolly like monday monring :( )

thanks for everyone's help.

Oh, BTW, i ended up using one of the old screws on teh bottom screw, because it ws able to use a socket wrench (the new screws were jsut round, so i would a had to use a screwdriver, plus, i lost one of the new screws in teh rear motor mount:lol: ) What i did was put the screw into the socket, but not hook up the whole mechanism, and got taht into the hole, then turned it a bit with my skinny fingers. Once i got it in the hold securely enough that it wouldn't slip out, i went ahead and attached the whole wrnech it self to it, and finished tightening it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts