Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a set of indiglo gauges from procarparts, finsihed fitting them, but now I need to wire them up.

I couldn't find an install guide for the gen2, so I used RayRay's guide, but the wiring seems to be different.. I turned on the car to "ACC" and switched on the headlights, and began testing the ends of the harnesses, but I can't seem to get a light on any of them, Maybe I'm not doing it right.

If anyone has a proper wiring diagram or knows which wire I should splice into that would be ace.:)

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
Wire the power wire for the gauges into the tailight fuse under the driver's side kick panel. You can ground the gauges on pretty much any bolt that holds the dash on, of which there are many on the gen 2. To wire the gauges into the tailight fuse just wrap the power wire around the bottom of the fuse and then plug it back in. Make sure the fuse goes in straight and all the way in. Check to see if the gauges come on, they'll only light up when your lights are on, not during the day time.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
Alternatively, you can wire it to the cigarette illumination. This is fused also and it's an easy wire to locate because all you do is remove the centre trim. Try using 'Quick' connectors that wrap around the wire and squeeze on. Then just use a corrosponding plug for the connector to plug in. It's a more 'secure' method of connection, rather than wrapping a wire around a point and pushing it down, putting pressure on the fuse which might pop it out. Plus, the wiring near the kick panel is tight and awkward.

I just installed the SAME indiglo guages, this is the way i did it, and they work great. I installed the Indiglo dimmer and color switch, right next to the factory dimmer switch, quite neat.

If you need anymore help, just drop a bell.
:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it won't be possible to do the tail-light fuse option, as the cable on the dimmer isn't long enough.

The cig illumination might be a better option. Although I'm not quite sure where to connect the wires to. Do I connect to the power for the cig lighter or to lighting (illumunation) for the cig lighter?

Any chance of a pic?

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
You connect to the ILLUMINATION of the cigarette lighter. If you connect to the power, when you turn the key over to ACC, the guages will light, and you don't want that. You want them to light when you turn you parkers/lights on.

Not sure of a pic, ill see if i can find some. You really can't miss which wire it is. Look at the cigarette lighter, and where the bulb is located there will be a wire coming off it. Just connected to that one. If anything, before you make the crimp connection, just use a probe and test which wire it is by connecting the guages earth somewhere and using the probe on the guages positive. Don't turn the ignition on, but just have the parkers on, when you find the wire, the guages will light up.

EDIT: I can't really tell you what wire color it is, because my car is a JDM model, and yours is most certainly different in wiring colors. (As the Aus model is to the JDM in most cases.)

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Zfreeman said:
If anyone has a proper wiring diagram or knows which wire I should splice into that would be ace.:)
Green wire (parking light wire).

Look for it on one of the plugs going into the back of the instrument cluster.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
89SV21 said:
Wire the power wire for the gauges into the tailight fuse under the driver's side kick panel.

To wire the gauges into the tailight fuse just wrap the power wire around the bottom of the fuse and then plug it back in. Make sure the fuse goes in straight and all the way in.
*Cough*ghetto rigging*Cough* :disappoin

The proper way to hookup the power wire on the guages is to splice into the parking light wire.

1. Strip some of the insulation off the wire, solder, and wrap it with electrical tape.

2. Use a wire tap.

3. Use a crimp connector.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today I hooked up the gauges to the dimmer and grounded it. I figured out that the large white harness is the one that provides illumunation to the gauges, so using the other dimmer wire I touched the end of each wire contact until I got a large humming noise (I had the dimmer turned all the way up so I'd know which one was providing a connection), and two of the wires hummed or lit up the gauges, One of them (red/blue) provided constant power to the gauges even when the lights were off, and the other, a green wire allowed the gauges to be turned off with the lights. :D

I had a little trouble trying to get all the wiring and stuff to fit, but it did eventually.
These gauges are the business, they make a massive difference to the car and match my blue Blaupunkt head unit perfectly.

Definitely worth all the hard work. Thanks for helping out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts