Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 V6 (3vz-fe) and I am thinking about making some modifications to the intake. I was hoping you guys could give me some advise and ideas.

First off I am going to locate an intake plenum, manifold, and throttle body from my local junk yard (I thought I would keep mine intact incase I screw this up).

I'm going to attempt to clean, smooth, enlarge, and port match the entire assembly. I am also thinking about boring out the throttle body and installing a larger butterfly plate.

I also plan to install a CAI much like Silver Streak's but I am considering a few changes. I would like to eliminate all of the oil and gunk inducing tubing coming from the emissions hoses so the intake will stay clean. I am considering running them to a catch can or something. Would this create any problems?

Also, has anyone found any way to replace or enlarge the AFM?

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
The most effective way to increase performance is to port the intake runners, your lower intake manifold and your intake ports all together. You don't want to be enlarging the runners to be bigger than your intake ports, or else, you would be getting intake reversion instead.

It is better to just clean up the casting and smoothen the finish for the intake plenum and intake manifold.

Running a catch can setup is fine for the engine, but you will fail emissions visual inspection depending on the place you live in. Tampering with the PCV will mostly cause you to fail. You can either run a closed system by running a catch can between your manifold vacuum source and PCV valve (better for the environment), or run a venting system by routing your crankcase lines to a catch can with a breather on it.

Try not to modify the AFM.. That is your main air metering device. If you happen to distort the air readings, your car's air/fuel will go out of whack. You can either replace to a larger AFM unit from another car (you have to research on this), or go for a completely new engine management system that uses a MAP sensor (lots of money -- not worth it for a stock motor).

:)

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
While we are on the subject, i know there is an AFM that MKIII Supra owners will throw on thier cars, either the Lexus AFM or this GM AFM... just wondering if it would be compatible with our cars? Cause my AFM is shot i think...

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
The MKIV Supra will fit for 1MZ's, the MKIII uses a completely different type though. I have an ES300 / Gen 4 AFM for sale in the classified section.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
its a perfect swap to throw on the mkiv AFM then? thats awsome... i'll have to talk to a few of my buddies then

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Tony. I think I'll just do a port match and polish. I read in another post that if you enlarge one port more then another then it can cause problems. I am also planning on doing towickedtoyz's mod .

I think I may give the catch can between the PCV valve and manifold a try. I tried running the engine without the PCV line hooked up(long story) and it would not hold idle.

There are two other lines going into either side of the intake pipe between the AFM and the throttle body. Can someone tell me what they are for? Thanks.

I'll post some pics latter when this is done. I'm info gathering right now until I finish repairing the blown head gasket on my 87 Stanza.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2004 Scion xA
730 Posts
Okay, I found a MKIV AFM... now I NEED to know if this afm thing is real or if im just having smoke blown up my ass...

N/A MKIV or TT MKIV??? i'd assume N/A... but please lemme know!

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Sorry I haven't answered, it's back to school time again...

I should have specified the TT one, that is the one you want, sorry. You can see it on Tony's Page.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts