Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing an oil change with a local mechanic. And he is planning to use a synthetic blend rather than the old school Dino type oil. Is there any problem doing this?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's very hard to know in advance if it will be a problem. Sometimes, switching to a full synthetic on an older engine causes excess oil consumption, if the old engine has enough engine wear to let synthetic to flow by piston rings, etc, where a conventional oil may not do. Using a synthetic blend is probably a good compromise. but monitor your before and after oil usage carefully. If necessary, try a higher viscosity synthetic blend or full synthetic to compensate for existing engine wear.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
253 Posts
I switched a Merc diesel to full synth at 300,000 miles. Not a problem. In fact, the turbo spooled up faster and the car became quicker by a bit.
Never, ever change viscosity in an engine that uses any kind of variable valve timing or other, oil pressure activated engine controls. The different viscosity will screw with the timing and/or other controls. The only way to "compensate" for engine wear is to rebuild the engine.

The above is, of course, null and void if you've the education of a Toyota engineer.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Switched to semi-syn, then full syn on my old '99. No issues, better for the engine. The whole "your engine will self-destruct if you change the oil type" horsesh!t is internet horsesh!t.
Variable valve timing? We're talking Gen3 Camry here... dinosaur-approved technology only in that car.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,507 Posts
We only used Corey Oil 5W-20 & 5W-30 Semi-Synthetic when I still worked at the shop. No issues and honestly I think it is the best route for a shop to use semi-synthetic bulk because this way they can just do the oil change and go instead of asking for conventional or synthetic or asking the customer for either one. If they have a particular oil, they usually brought it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add that my vehicle is a 95 V6 Camry. As the original owner in 24 years of oil changes, it seems prudent to maintain the “Dino” type oil in the car for a while longer.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,507 Posts
I forgot to add that my vehicle is a 95 V6 Camry. As the original owner in 24 years of oil changes, it seems prudent to maintain the “Dino” type oil in the car for a while longer.
It's your call, just about all of the vehicles we worked on in the shop were and are old Toyota's so whatever oil they were given was semi-synthetic unless they brought their own.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Switched to semi-syn, then full syn on my old '99. No issues, better for the engine. The whole "your engine will self-destruct if you change the oil type" horsesh!t is internet horsesh!t.
Variable valve timing? We're talking Gen3 Camry here... dinosaur-approved technology only in that car.
No one said an engine will self-destruct if switching to synthetic. But there have been instances where oil consumption increases when switching to synthetic on engines with a lot of mileage on them before the switch. "Instances" means that it has happened, but does not mean it will always happen. Even if it only happens 5% of the time (on an older car with a lot of mileage), that may not be a risk that someone wants to take.

I have used full synthetic oil in my cars over the last 22 years, and had outstanding results. I started using synthetic with the first oil change.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
It's your call, just about all of the vehicles we worked on in the shop were and are old Toyota's so whatever oil they were given was semi-synthetic unless they brought their own.
I would say that using a synthetic blend is lot less risky than switching to a full synthetic on an older car. That is because synthetic blend oils only have at most 25% synthetic oil in them (most probably have less).

Also, this is not a question of using a synthetic blend or full synthetic, but of switching from conventional oil to synthetic late in the cars's life. There is no problems in switching to a full synthetic on any model year so long as significant engine wear has not already occurred.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,969 Posts
If it's concerning, stay with a dino oil. Problems with this engine are well-documented, and synthetic will help mitigate those (sludging and subsequent oil burning). Also:

• no trips that you could have walked, as in, let the engine get to operating temp before shutting it off.
  • OCI max 5K, and change PCV system with OE ONLY every 2 years or so.
Using a different viscosity will not harm your engine (VVT variant of 1MZ didn't appear until '99). That being said, I've never seen a modern engine burn less using a slightly higher viscosity rating like 10W-30 or 10W-40. Personally I stick to whatever was recommended from the factory.

As far as VVT systems that depend on oil pressure, yeah, IMO should use the recommended viscosity. Most systems will not cause problems; notable is Chrysler systems on the pushrod engines. Have seen many gen III Hemis that threw a code for "incorrect oil viscosity" when they put in something other than the recommended 5W-20. Wear, if any, on the older engines had them throwing that code when I did oil changes with 5W-20 full-synthetic Castrol Edge. Somewhat-circumstantial evidence that you should stick with the recommended grade unless there's a good reason to change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts