Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
Yes it does. But I admire the detail you put into this resto project. It's great when you can find OEM parts instead of the knock offs.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
"It's great when you can find OEM parts" - part of my incentive for going this far with the rebuild, rather than simply repairing what needs it now, is the concern for losing access to OEM service parts as the years go on, and they sell out.

It has been amazing, how much of it I've been able to get OEM, and not have to resort to "mystery quality/random tune" aftermarket parts. Sadly, some of the struts are no longer available, and we all know what a crapshoot the aftermarket ones are. I'm trying to get with a Bilstein rep who works with our race team, to see if we can figure out a solution (and once figured out, they could easily add to their catalog for future / new customers). I was able to get 2 RH OEM, SE spec fronts from Toyota, and my SE spec rears are not too old since the last time I had replaced them with OEM, so am OK for the next 20-40k miles or so.

Toyota's policy for service parts is, "if it is still selling, keep on making it", which has been a GREAT help. Also, my parts car was in great shape (though, also with 200k miles), so I could clean up and rebuild its parts and come out way ahead of my rusty ones. The OEM rebuild kits are great: cheap, and complete, and I know it'll go at least another 27years/200k miles.

Looks like I'll have to resort to Rock Auto for a couple of hose assemblies, and one of the shift cables.

Exterior moldings is a conundrum: my original SE ones are really rough (the black resin overmold is nearly worn off), and only a few of them are available new. I've been putting off until much later in the build to decide about that bit (maybe I can plasti-dip the old ones to restore their black surface, or something).

Norm

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
I can help you if you need locating parts out here in the desert. Just send me a DM and I will see what they have!

Plenty of Camrys in the yards. Both old and new!

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
WOW, that's awesome, 75, thanks for the offer, I just may take you up on that at some point.
Just now, it seems like I have everything that I need, other than those exterior moldings, who's black PVC covering degrades in the sun over time (I am guessing that the ones there in the dessert would be no better than the ones on my SE Michigan car).

Oh, and an "SE" badge for the trunk, mine is discolored and corroded. The font used for the '93~'96 (Gen3) was different than used on the later years (Gen4~), and it is no longer available new from anywhere. I've been thinking about someday having my old one re-plated, if I can find someone who specializes in that. If there are any good ones out there let me know!

thx,
Norm

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
WOW, that's awesome, 75, thanks for the offer, I just may take you up on that at some point.
Just now, it seems like I have everything that I need, other than those exterior moldings, who's black PVC covering degrades in the sun over time (I am guessing that the ones there in the dessert would be no better than the ones on my SE Michigan car).

Oh, and an "SE" badge for the trunk, mine is discolored and corroded. The font used for the '93~'96 (Gen3) was different than used on the later years (Gen4~), and it is no longer available new from anywhere. I've been thinking about someday having my old one re-plated, if I can find someone who specializes in that. If there are any good ones out there let me know!

thx,
Norm
I will do that.

Sadly, the belt moldings are the first to deteriorate before they discolor. But will be on the look out.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
By the way, how is the emblem attached to the camry? I assume this vintage uses hardware on the inside of the trunk instead of 3m.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
This looks like an SE. Please confirm.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
The badge is attached with acrylic foam tape and a couple of pins for alignment. A heat gun and a sharp razor should separate one from a trunk lid (or just a razor and some finesse - don't try to lift it or it'll break easily). Don't worry about trying to save the pins, as I don't use them (I've welded up the holes in my deck lid and use only 3M tape to attach the badge, I cut off the pins).

That one in the link is an XLE, so its badge will say, "XLE" on the back. Gotta find a rare "SE".

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,934 Posts
Ok. I noticed this one has a spoiler. Will let you know when I come across one. Just dm me if you have odds and ends that you need. As this just entered the yard earlier this week.

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
Easy way to spot an SE in a junkyard... In ‘93, both the SE and the DX trims had black side mirrors. All the other trims had mirrors painted to match the body. The DX had a manual antenna mounted in the A pillar, so that’s an easy way to ID a DX Vs an SE.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Steering Rack rebuild update: the video that I put in post #42 is priceless, he shows not just how to disassemble and re-assemble, and how to use common materials in place of the special service tools but he also shows how to use your own hands to stretch, and then relax the teflon rings for assembly. Lifesaver.

One thing he didn't show, which isn't explained anywhere, is what to do if you buy a new control valve assembly housing (the thing on the top of the rack that the column attaches to) and it comes with a 1mm orifice in its inlet.

I studied this for a while, and finally decided to remove it.
Background: the original control valve assy housing on my SE rack was badly worn (see the deep rings in the photo below, and the shiny, smooth wall of the new one). These grooves are where the teflon rings ride, and the teflon ring's job is to keep the high pressure fluid in the correct chamber for efficient operation of the power steering (and to prevent leakage from the rest of the rack). So, I had to replace the worn housing.
Toyota stocks new ones (see exploded view below)

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
But here was my conundrum: the original housing has a 4.5mm dia hole in its input (where the high pressure line from the pump enters the rack), the replacement housing had a 1mm dia orifice stuck in there (see pictures below). 1st picture, the hole to the right is the input, with a 4.5mm dia hole. 2nd picture is the new one, the 1mm restrictor is visible.

From my understanding of hydraulics, such an orifice might have been added to reduce cavitation noise, maybe good for selling mainstream, white bread Camrys, but it would also reduce the pressure and flow rate in the rack and lead to increased risk of "getting ahead of the pump" during fast/sudden maneuvers, especially with the 10% quicker SE rack.

Here is an illustration of that effect: (hmm, I don't know why that .pdf didn't load as an image, and has to be downloaded to view)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,092 Posts
I wonder if that restriction would give the power steering less assist? So it would provide more feedback to the steering wheel?

That's one minor thing I don't like about my Avalon. It's got the old '70's Caddy over-assisted power steering. I can one-finger steer thru a corner, and it's quite numb feeling.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
A smaller pulley on the pump would achieve that result very well for you.

Using a restrictor orifice at the rack merely means the pump won't be able to supply the full pressure or flow rate at max demand (bad for fast maneuvers, like hooning around an icy parking lot, swinging fast from lock to lock, when the steering suddenly gets "wooden" for a moment, it interrupts the transition and at worst case, prevents from completing the maneuver smoothly).

By the way, for any power steering engineers out there, this orifice I'm referring to should not be confused with the one located in the pump, which is used to control flow rate through the main output valve during use (the one that directs flow to the rack to match demand, and routes the rest back through the reservoir otherwise, as the vane pump has a fixed output which goes up with engine speed).

The control housing assembly (in fact, the whole rack) was used on a huge array of vehicles over the years (from Camry to Highlander and Sienna, heck even the Tundra's giant rack uses a great deal of common sub components with this one), so I am guessing that orifice was added for something, at some point, and they decided to only stock the one for service (kind of like how the 10% quicker SE rack was substituted by the mainstream rack, once the stock of them ran out). :p

Norm

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Here's how I got it out:
photo 1: run a long thin screw into the restrictor (this is hard to do because its made of stainless and it spins in a spherical housing. I used a high speed screw gun and a fair amount of pressure for a few seconds until it grabbed.
photo 2: make sure the screw is long enough and then lever it out with two screwdrivers
photo 3: what it looks like after removal
photo 4: proper 4.5dia hole remains
photo 5: the offending restrictor

Attachments

61 - 75 of 75 Posts