Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
07 Camry SE - White
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As per thoots suggestion, I agree that it would help if we all described what kind of rattle/noise problems we're experiencing in our Gen 6's, hopefully leading to a repository of solutions.

I've got the following noises after 1 week, 700km on the car:

Problem: When the car is extremely hot, and the A/C is turned on, for the first 5 minutes, there is crackling noise from the centre console, plastics. This happens at almost all speeds.

Solution: None so far

Problem: Driving with the sunroof open, the sunroof resonates/rattels in the roof. Almost as if it's too flimsy, and Not solid. This happens when the car is moving at approximately 60-120 km/hr (35-70mph),

Solution: None so far - have an appt with service next week.

Problem: There is a rattle from the rear deck/seats area when the car is moving at approximately 60-100 km/hr (35-70mph).

Problem: There is a rattle in the driver's side door, near the seatbelt pillar. This happens when the car is moving at approximatley 80-100 km/hr (45-60mph),

Solution: When the door panel is pushed lightly against the door, the rattle stops.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks thoots and slim_EL for this thread, if I was the only one with the squeeks/rattle/noise throughout the car. Well I have a couple

Rattle in the center controls(specially where the air condition controls are and the shift knob) it rattles when the car is hot and cools down from the air condition on but now i notice that is squeeks even with the AC on, just driving over heavy bumps and holes. It's getting worst as well. No solution yet.

Rattle on the passenger side, coming from the seat area and specially from the passenger door panel. Really noticeable when someone sits in the passenger seat.

Click noises from the rear seats. Noticeable when you sit down and press down in each corner.

The noises from center control are the worst. I'm getting these noises checked out tomorrow and with my luck, I'm leaving the dealership exactly with the same noise as when i got there. :sosad:

So far that is it, any advise or solutions, it would greatly appreciated

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have all of the above, plus my chair stills sqeaks, they made it go away for two weeks, but know it's back!

·
Registered
93 Posts
slim_EL said:
As per thoots suggestion, I agree that it would help if we all described what kind of rattle/noise problems we're experiencing in our Gen 6's, hopefully leading to a repository of solutions.

Problem: When the car is extremely hot, and the A/C is turned on, for the first 5 minutes, there is crackling noise from the centre console, plastics. This happens at almost all speeds.

Problem: Driving with the sunroof open, the sunroof resonates/rattels in the roof. Almost as if it's too flimsy, and Not solid. This happens when the car is moving at approximately 60-120 km/hr (35-70mph),

Problem: There is a rattle from the rear deck/seats area when the car is moving at approximately 60-100 km/hr (35-70mph).

Problem: There is a rattle in the driver's side door, near the seatbelt pillar. This happens when the car is moving at approximatley 80-100 km/hr (45-60mph),

Solution: When the door panel is pushed lightly against the door, the rattle stops.
V6 LE here, and can vouch for #1 and #4. Rattle in the passenger side footwell/door area somewhere as well. The "crackling" of the plastics even when pressing down on certain areas brings up doubt about long term durability (3+ years.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with proteus220!!!!!!!!

Do you guys think that there is something the dealership can do. I have an appointment tomorrow and I do want them to look at everything but by now they probably sick of me cause I have been noticing this and mentioned it before all they do is look at me weird.

·
"Two Tacos"
232 Posts
Slim's #3 problem??

I had rear package tray noise from day 1. The dealer had the whole rear int. torn out only to find the rear struts were the problem. Strut to body mount needed some kind of isolation material. No noise since. I am happy with my LE V6, 1100 mi.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
slim_EL said:

The only problem I have on the list is #2.
Perhaps a sunroof wind deflector would help.
I don't like the look of the deflector so I'll probably live with the rattle.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have #1, going to dealer next Friday to have it checked. They already replaced the entire vent assembly without any improvement.

·
Streaker
2013 Sunset Bronze T
1,802 Posts
;)
slim_EL said:

Thank God I don't have any of the above problems. They would drive me batty. Hope you all have them resolved quickly and permanently. Post the solutions so if these same problems arise for the rest of us, we'll be able to deal with them. Thanks and Good Luck!

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Streaker said:
;) Thank God I don't have any of the above problems. They would drive me batty. Hope you all have them resolved quickly and permanently. Post the solutions so if these same problems arise for the rest of us, we'll be able to deal with them. Thanks and Good Luck!
My Japanese XLE is also problem-free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Joe B said:
The only problem I have on the list is #2.
Perhaps a sunroof wind deflector would help.
I don't like the look of the deflector so I'll probably live with the rattle.
There is a TSB on sunroof rattle. I found on Tundrasolutions

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
BoloMK33 said:
Same thing here on the seat noises...guess I'll call the dealer and see what they can do.
There is a TSB on front seat squeak noise -NV004-06, May 23, 2006, for 2004-2007 Toyotas.

NV006-06, Moon Roof Rattle when open. June 20, 2006, '07 Camry

·
2015 Corolla S Premium
1,246 Posts
Folks,

I've got the center console crackle -- it happens when the car heats up, and then when you kick on the air conditioning, it'll crackle for about five minutes until the temperature of the parts equalizes.

I played with it tonight, but I've got some image processing to do before I can really give you a good write-up. Hopefully tomorrow. Here's a teaser, though:

Yep, those "pillar thingies" pull right off. And, the wood-grain part just pulls right up. This is about as much as you can go without unhooking the seat heater buttons, but it's enough to get in there and muck around. I used a bunch of silicone lubricant, so we'll see how that goes. Again, much more detail to come!

Beyond that, my Japan-built XLE only has a few minor ticks and nicks on some of the roughest potholes and such, mostly coming from (as far as I can tell) the headliner above the passenger doors somewhere. It's not anything regular enough at all to be considered a "rattle" in my mind -- just a little tiny little bit of a noise every now and then. Heck, it could just be the unused seat belt buckle tapping against the front passenger seat, as it seems to be as loud as that could be -- just a wee tiny little bit. But, I think it's higher up than that, like up in the headliner.

But, that's the only other thing -- the crackling that goes away after 5 minutes with the A/C on, and the little nick/tick up in the headliner that shows up very infrequently. I'm working on the crackling, and I think I could probably shut the little headliner thing up in good time, though opening stuff up to do it might risk creating more rattles -- it really isn't even worth that. Otherwise, it's pretty much "peace and quiet" in the XLE. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the lack of rattling issues, and hoping that I'll kill all or most of the console crackling. Especially compared to the POS rattletrap 2003 Accord I bailed out of to get the Camry, this has been a wonderful, quiet interior!

As soon as I can do a full "bake the car in the afternoon sun then start it up and turn on the A/C" test, I'll let you know how my little work tonight did. And, of course, I'll get back with lots of pictures and a description of what I did tonight!

·
Premium Member
2012 Base Tacoma 4x4, 2007 Camry XLE
1,329 Posts
As for a B-Pillar "rattle" I thought I was hearing one then I noticed the seat belt buckle at times doesn't lay correctly after someone leaves the car. It will "rattle" then after I move it to it's correct posistion it stops... I do not know if this is the problem people are talking about...but...it is something I have noticed on my Camry.

Also when I read the title of this thread I thought it was about the Pontiac G6...hehe :)

·
Registered
07 Camry SE - White
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thoots,

I'm looking fwd. to your full test & writeup as I'd also like to eliminate this hot-cold-crackle. Hopefully the silicone will work. Do you think this will also happen when it's -30C outside, and we turn on the heater in the winter... I guess we'll wait and see.

I wonder if I can use silicone in the drivers-side door panel where the ticking comes from ocassionally. What do you think?

BTW, your interior looks really nice...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thoots,

Cant wait for your results and your description in how to fix this issue. I was suppose to take the car down today to the dealer but it didnt work out so I'm taking it on Monday but these rattle/noise will definitely be dicussed.

·
2015 Corolla S Premium
1,246 Posts
OK, here's the write-up of my experience with the center console. Unfortunately, my schedule got all turned around over the past couple of days, so I really haven't had a chance to test this in the heat. That'll come tomorrow, I'm sure!

At any rate, it all started out the other night when I just started yanking on one of the "pillar covers." In days past, I had pulled up on the rear edge of the wood-grain trim around the shifter, but it was obvious that the pillar covers were in the way of getting the trim panels up very far, so they would just have to come off to do much of anything to silence the crackle.

So, lo and behold, the thing came off! And this is what it looked like underneath:

I'm not sure what the significance of the rather large black plastic part with the screw in it -- presumably it holds the center stack together, and it fits against the pillar cover, but beyond that, your guess is as good or better than mine. Note that there's a little bit of a rubber strip coming out of the upper clip hole. I found little strips like this here and there throughout the assembly.

Here's what the pillar cover looks like inside:

You can clearly see the two clips or whatever they're called, which have some pretty thick, grippy pink plastic around them. Note also the bit of felt or whatever at the upper end, to the right in this picture. And also note the second one, a bit "below" that one, beneath the upper clip. There is quite a bit of concern shown here about keeping the interior noises down.

Here's another look at the uncovered pillar:

Note the two tabs coming off the side of the HVAC panel -- you can see how they fit above and below the upper pillar cover's upper clip -- golly, right where those two pieces of felt or whatever are. I think this is a significant crackle area, so maybe doubling or tripling up on some cushioning stuff here would be a good idea.

Here you can see that I've pulled the other (driver-side) pillar cover off:

You can again see the little tabs coming off of the HVAC panel. Oh, and now I think I'm beginning to get the gist of the black panels with the screws -- they would hold the "box" behind the fold-up door in place, now wouldn't they?

Here's a closer look at it with both pillar covers off:

Let's move on, though -- now, start pulling up the wood-grain trim, from the "back" of that panel:

To get started on that, open up the cupholder cover partway, and then you can get your fingers in underneath the wood-grain panel. You're really just trying to grab the very thin top hunk of plastic. Think of the whole thing as being "hinged" from the front where it joins up with the console box, and you'll be doing fine. It just pulls up with very little effort.

Here it is with the panel lifted a bit, and my tube of Sil-Glyde silicone lubricating compound:

Basically, my plan was to coat all of the "feet" or "claws" or whatever they're called with this stuff, along with coating virtually all of the plastics that would touch each other in the whole assembly.

Here's the panel held up quite a bit higher -- yeah, that's my car key holding it up so that I can snap the picture.

You can see the "feet" that go down into the console to hold this panel in place. Towards the front end of the panel, you can see clips much like those inside the pillar covers, this time coated with some grippy yellow plastic. You can't really get it too much out beyond this without unhooking the seat heater buttons, if you have them -- something I didn't even want to try to do. So, from here, I started lubricating all of those feet, clips, and the entire underside of this panel.

Here's a closer look at it:

Note the crud on top of the panel that moves around with the shifter -- I cleaned that up before I started with the lubricant. Again, you can see feet and stuff, and even another strip of rubber right above where the key is holding the panel up. There was a long rubber strip on the side of the panel that actually "faces the driver" as such.

Finally, here's the picture I pasted earlier:

I coated the underside of the wood-grain panel, all of the clips and feet and such, and all along the areas that the pillar covers cover, and heavily around those tabs that come off the side of the HVAC panel, and, finally, I coated the clips and the inside of the pillar covers. Then, I popped everything back into place, and wiped away any lubricant that got out where I could see it.

Popping out the pillar covers is simple and easy, and requires no tools. You just kind of need to keep pulling, until you get brave enough to pull with enough force, and then they'll pop right off. It won't take you even a minute per pillar cover to do that. The wood-grain panel, or the silver if that's what you've got, literally lifts right up -- I just had to be careful of the seat heater button wiring, as there didn't seem to be much slack in that at all. Lubricating everything took me about five minutes, just getting the lubricant on my fingers and coating everything I could coat. Another minute to pop the wood-grain panel down and pop the pillar covers back in place, and that's all there was to it.

So, this was about a 10-minute effort that required no tools. It took me MUCH longer to write this up, a lot longer to take the pictures and process those, and so on. All of the clips seemed to be well-engineered things that wouldn't really "break" or "become worn" through this process -- I especially liked the big, soft-plastic covered pink and yellow clips -- quality stuff.

I don't think any kind of a "spray" would help too much -- that's why I wanted the gel-like lubricating compound. Now that I've gone through the pictures, where I could really see better than I could there in person, I could see taking a non-greasy approach, and maybe just beef up the soft-plastic clip stuff with more soft stuff, add more felt-like stuff to the areas that will meet with the HVAC panel tabs, and so on.

I hope this helps! And, I should be able to get back into this topic tomorrow -- I think I'll have a fine chance to bake my car tomorrow, and then we'll see what happens when I crank up the A/C for the first time!

·
Premium Member
2012 Base Tacoma 4x4, 2007 Camry XLE
1,329 Posts
EXCELLENT! thoots! Quite interesting. You can rip apart my LE anytime. :D

Were you using just tiny drops of the lube?

·
Registered
07 Camry SE - White
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent writeup thoots.

I am also going to try this approach today once I get some of that lubricant, and post my results when it gets really hot.

SLiM

1 - 20 of 178 Posts