Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ground point near trunk?

Need a ground point near the trunk, was told I had my ground for my amplifier on something that wasn't a good ground.

·
Registered
14 TCH SE
43 Posts
You are going to run a 2000w amp on a hybrid, Don't you worry about the kind of power you will be pulling on that. It is not like this car was built with a very heavy duty electric system Sure the drive system has a lot of power but it is separate from the on board electric

·
Registered
2012 Camry Hybrid
1,442 Posts
It all started with the "Toyoda Automatic Loom company"

Mr. Toyoda was a perfectionist in anything he did. They were ask to build a truck for the war. They designed and built one of the best trucks. Those trucks were built tough and were long lasting. I think the story reads the dad handed the company over to his son. They both had dreams of building a high quality long lasting cars to sell to the public after the war.

Here are more details below about why the name change and other interesting facts about the company's history.

http://www.toyoland.com/history.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
$75 hybrid fee in Idaho

Well, Idaho just officially became one of the dumbest states in the Union. Effective July 1, if you drive a hybrid vehicle you are subject to an additional $75 fee. Unless you drive a hybrid to feel good, you now need to drive a lot of miles to justify the expense! I know states are facing highway funding issues because of vehicles getting higher mileage, but putting a fee on a select user group isn't the way to go, particularly when that user group is getting ALL the energy they use from gasoline!

·
Registered
368 Posts
What protects the inverter from a coolant leak?

It seems to be common knowledge here that if you change the inverter coolant, you need a tool to run the pump to circulate the new coolant before you start the Hybrid Synergy Drive. If you don't do this, you risk damage (substantial $$) from the inverter overheating. My question is: If the inverter is so easily damaged from a lack of coolant, what protects it in the event that a stone cuts the radiator while I am driving and allows the coolant to leak out?

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
Nothing... On mine the lower vent in the bumper is the only place where it is exposed. The chances of a rock getting up in there and not hitting one of the cross bars before it hits the radiator is probably about the same as being struck by lightning. Good point though! You wound think they would have some kind of hardware cloth protection or something covering the thing.

I actually have screen covering that opening because of the love bug problem we have down here, so pretty much nothing can get through there besides dust or sand. My application is for bugs. But, I guess if you were paranoid you could do the same thing or something similar for "protection".

Funny thing though.... About 10 years ago with a different car, I took a rock though the grill (behind one of those damn rock trucks) and it took out my A/C condenser on that car. I remember it setting me back around $500 to get it fixed. So, it IS possible.

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
The MG ECU which is composed of the inverter coolant and the mg motors (mg1 and mg2) has sensors for overheating. They operate independently and will cause the system to limp mode when overheating happens. A check engine will appear (DTC) and a Check Hybrid System will alert of the fault. Nothing will prevent it from overheating if the owner continues to drive it with the DTC on (or Check Hybrid System is showing) for a long time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks, lincolnshibuya. My understanding is that the digital "temperature" guage on the dash only reports the engine coolant temp. Is there any indication that the inverter coolant is becoming overheated prior to the system lighting up the idiot lights and going into limp mode?

·
2007 TCH owner
341 Posts
I think the warning lights (and message) is the indicator and it's up to the owner to check under the hood and decide if it's wise to drive or tow.
Usually the limp mode will let you drive it home (at low power) but just like any overheating problems you don't really know when the components can actually fail.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
You know..... I remember inverter failure being my biggest fear about this car in the beginning, because I really wanted a Highlander Hybrid. Then I started reading about all the Inverter related failures with those particular vehicles.

Impending doom is at a moments notice. When the traction battery fails, it just fails... THATS IT! Its gone.... By the time the warning lights come on, it's too late.

Limp mode, PFT...When it dies, it's gone and that's it. Yea, it goes into "limp mode". BUT, when it does, the damage is done. Unless something has changed that I don't know about? That is a fact, not an "I think" statement.

It is a good point too. So, what if your inverter failed tomorrow afternoon and you had to pay for it out of pocket?

I can honestly say that my particular car has been great and I have been lucky. BUT, I will never own one again..... Tooche....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Camry Hybrid part looks like it exploded.

I don't know what happened here, but my Ex Wife's car was impounded due to abandonment. It is still in my name so they contacted me. The battery of the car was dead and I had no keys, so I wasn't able to do much. I went to look for the jump points under the hood and found this.

There was an orange wire going into this box (it was disconnected)

What part of the HV system is this, and what could have happened here?

(sorry for the crappy pictures)

·
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Picture is worth a thousand words. My kid ran his Eclipse into a raccoon and put a huge crack into the bumper COVER. OP, what you broke is not bumper, it's bumper cover.
So I patched his cover with fiberglass cloth and resin, from behind.
It depends. Once again, it boils down to your sense of aesthetics and ability to drive around with something that is not looking that good.
Otherwise, bumper cover paint job is $400 or so. I had my rear one done for a hundred, but I have the right neighbor, you know.
You may try calling around and locating one same color at a salvage yard maybe?
Unless you are local to me and I can hook you up with my guy. Auburn WA.
Also try this place:

http://www.certifit.com/t-storeProducts.aspx

as I used them quite a few times. Inexpensive. You may look into local stores availability. But you'll still need to paint the cover from them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Picture is worth a thousand words. My kid ran his Eclipse into a raccoon and put a huge crack into the bumper COVER. OP, what you broke is not bumper, it's bumper cover.
So I patched his cover with fiberglass cloth and resin, from behind.
It depends. Once again, it boils down to your sense of aesthetics and ability to drive around with something that is not looking that good.
Otherwise, bumper cover paint job is $400 or so. I had my rear one done for a hundred, but I have the right neighbor, you know.
You may try calling around and locating one same color at a salvage yard maybe?
Unless you are local to me and I can hook you up with my guy. Auburn WA.
Also try this place:

http://www.certifit.com/t-storeProducts.aspx

as I used them quite a few times. Inexpensive. You may look into local stores availability. But you'll still need to paint the cover from them.
Here is a picture.

Attachments

·
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Give this to a shop. It's not the cover itself, the area where clips hold it in place to fender well is likely damaged too. I mean, it can be rigged..... We had very similar hit on son's Mazdaspeed this time, same side, and that cover never wanted to stay in place right thereafter. Kept popping up and such. I finally resined it in place, forever.
Black color is good though. Front cover gets dirty very fast and no one will notice some shade difference.
Took a second look at it. Well, with some patience and heat gun, the dent can be pushed back out. Will not be pretty. That plastic they use for covers, it's very pliable. Then you will still have to do some paint job and rig clips to stay in place. Zipties work.
Like I said, it all boils down to how tolerant to "ugly" vs "save money" are you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Give this to a shop. It's not the cover itself, the area where clips hold it in place to fender well is likely damaged too. I mean, it can be rigged..... We had very similar hit on son's Mazdaspeed this time, same side, and that cover never wanted to stay in place right thereafter. Kept popping up and such. I finally resined it in place, forever.
Black color is good though. Front cover gets dirty very fast and no one will notice some shade difference.
Took a second look at it. Well, with some patience and heat gun, the dent can be pushed back out. Will not be pretty. That plastic they use for covers, it's very pliable. Then you will still have to do some paint job and rig clips to stay in place. Zipties work.
Like I said, it all boils down to how tolerant to "ugly" vs "save money" are you.
So your saying pretty much to pop the dent out and rig it?

·
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You could. You will need to remove the cover though to have good working area. Then you need heat gun. Heavy leather glove to work it out. Some clean surface to push against. As far as there are no cracks, it'll pop out. Go from perimeter towards the center. Cracks can be mended with fiberglass cloth and resin. Not JB Weld. Resin. Did that too. Just make sure surface is VERY rough.
You will end up with bubble, as when it's pressed in, it stretches, then you pop it back out and it bulges out. Like I said - it's looks tolerance. A lot of scratches can be simply sanded away with fine grit wet or dry. What's left will need to be Bondo-d or use special filler for plastic, though Bondo actually holds too. Sand, prime, paint. Will take you one can of primer and 2 cans of paint, any parts store or Sherwyn Williams will sell you color match. SW will mix you automotive pain in spray can. Parts store you can order match in cans. I did my Ridgeline cover, I paid $7 for a can. Still have one.
You looking at a good day of labor.
When you have cover removed, you need to assess how damaged is the area where cover clips to it. There should be 2 screws in each corner of tire well, then it all pops off clips. Maybe some screws down the cover center, around the grill. You can look it up, it's no different from conventional Camry.
While there, you need to come up with install game plan, based on how much damage you have to clips etc. You'll have to remove R tire well cover too, to have access, but that's easy.
Like I said - day of work.

·
6,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
jdrey, just talked to my body man neighbor. He said same - take cover off and push dent back out. He says it's super easy to take off - 2 clips in the front, 4 in eaxh tire well corner. Done, He did several TCHs, he knows.

21 - 40 of 98 Posts