Toyota Nation Forum banner
701 - 720 of 723 Posts

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #701 ·
Where can I get that cover with the correct decal for my fuses?
Probably the best thing you can do is just find a cover and then make the 2 labels to cover over the 2 fuses (ECU-B and OBDII 7.5A) that are different. While you could go hunting for the proper cover, I'm sure it will cost you more cash and time if you do. ;)

Reactions: TXRailroads73

·
Registered
97 T100 v6 5pd 4x4, 06 Tundra v8 4x4
53 Posts
So I've got a P0420 and of I'm understanding correctly, it's either my o2 sensor(s) or my cat, maybe both. My truck is a 97 so I'm thinking I'll just remove the cat and use an O2 simulator for the rear sensor instead of buying a new cat. Does that sound like a good plan to y'all? I'm new to T100s and to a vehicle that won't have to pass emissions in Texas due to age (truck was made in 08/96), but this is my 3rd 5vz Toyota and my 4th Toyota truck. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Anyone running headers? What brand?
i could use a new front pipe on my old truck, costs $215 after 25% off MSRP of $278, not sure what install cost might be for it
unless there is another low-cost remedy of stopping whatever corrosion is onit, had the catBack & muffler with a hole replaced almost 3years ago with a borla unit guaranteed not to corrode for 1 million miles warranty

·
Registered
'97 T100 3.4 V6 DLX Xtra Cab 4x4
347 Posts
So I plan on changing out the power steering fluid, I looked up my downloaded owners manual, it says to use AT Dexron II or III, I don't know what I have in it now, I've never had an issue with my PS, the fluid level has always been good, but I'd like to change anyways, what are you guys running? What should I get??? AT fluid or just a jug of Prestone or what brand of PS fluid to get?

·
Registered
53 Posts
No Pic but there is plenty of return hose where it dumps back into the resivior. That's where you put it in line. 3/8" filter and 2 hose clamps is all you'll need.
Magnafine is what I use on my vehicles. One on the transmission return as well.
How often do you replace that filter?

·
Registered
347 Posts
No Pic but there is plenty of return hose where it dumps back into the resivior. That's where you put it in line. 3/8" filter and 2 hose clamps is all you'll need.
Magnafine is what I use on my vehicles. One on the transmission return as well.
But I was asking if you could please take pics of both when you have time, greatly appreciated

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I took my truck to AutoZone to get scanned and their reader found way more code than the p0420 my scangauge found. P0306 misfire on cylinder 6. So I replaced the spark plug. Nope. Replaced all the wires. Nope. Replaced the coil pack and spark plug on cylinder 3 since it's linked to 6. And I finally remembered to reset the ECU and now it's running smooth as I rember my 5vz tacos used to.

Next is install a URD short throw shifter along with the OEM shifter bushings and small inner boot. Then onto the Bilstein shocks/struts, center carrier bearing on drive shaft, and finally the dash lights and new radio. Then I'll get it insured so I can get it inspected and registered. Then onto the locks and window switches.

Then I'll replace the other 4 spark plugs, install headers, remove cat and muffler, install a single in dual out performance muffler (still not sure which, suggestions welcome) and some 2.5in pipes coming out Infront of pass rear tire. Then Lexus GX470 17in wheels and some 265/65/17 all terrain tires. Then new cup holders and new driver seat.

I should be done modding it after that until I save up for the supercharger and 7th injector. Hopefully by Black Friday. I'll also be looking for a rear anti-sway bar if anyone knows of one that fits.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
does anybody know anything about the products Corroseal vs Por-15 (or similar) and differences of the two

·
Registered
347 Posts
So how do I know what starter I need? I see two options, with cold spec and without???? Any help greatly appreciated

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #715 ·
So how do I know what starter I need? I see two options, with cold spec and without???? Any help greatly appreciated
Unless yer going to be in a really cold environment, go with the standard starter (1.4KW vs the 1.8KW). ;)

·
Registered
1995 Toyota T100 4X4
42 Posts
Next is install a URD short throw shifter along with the OEM shifter bushings and small inner boot. Then onto the Bilstein shocks/struts, center carrier bearing on drive shaft, and finally the dash lights and new radio.
Saw your Tundra on the pictures thread. That truck is sick!
Regarding the short throw shifter, keep in mind that all T100s, even those with the 5VZ, use the tailhousing from the older R150 with the passenger drop transfer case. All of the other trucks with R150s behind 3.4 V6s use an updated tailhousing with a driver drop T-case. URD says their kit is not compatible with 95 and older T100s, but all T100s used the passenger drop tailhousing, so I suspect it's not compatible with any T100. If I'm wrong let me know.

Marlin Crawler makes updated shifter bushings for the transmission and T-case. My OEM Toyota ones disintegrated, but they were also probably the original ones.

What Bilsteins are you planning to get? I've got the 4600s on my truck, but I've heard that the 5100s will fit since the suspension is basically the same as the Toyota Pickups. Honestly, the 4600s are a bit stiff. I'd love to do a suspension lift with the 5100s, longer leaf springs, and upgraded torsion bars, but not sure if I can find the torsion bars. SAS would be cooler, and the T100 is a great candidate, but they're already pretty slow without the heavier front end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Saw your Tundra on the pictures thread. That truck is sick!
Regarding the short throw shifter, keep in mind that all T100s, even those with the 5VZ, use the tailhousing from the older R150 with the passenger drop transfer case. All of the other trucks with R150s behind 3.4 V6s use an updated tailhousing with a driver drop T-case. URD says their kit is not compatible with 95 and older T100s, but all T100s used the passenger drop tailhousing, so I suspect it's not compatible with any T100. If I'm wrong let me know.

Marlin Crawler makes updated shifter bushings for the transmission and T-case. My OEM Toyota ones disintegrated, but they were also probably the original ones.

What Bilsteins are you planning to get? I've got the 4600s on my truck, but I've heard that the 5100s will fit since the suspension is basically the same as the Toyota Pickups. Honestly, the 4600s are a bit stiff. I'd love to do a suspension lift with the 5100s, longer leaf springs, and upgraded torsion bars, but not sure if I can find the torsion bars. SAS would be cooler, and the T100 is a great candidate, but they're already pretty slow without the heavier front end.
I installed the URD kit this morning. I'm about to go take it for a test drive. I've got the 4600s I plan on installing on my next day off. Tomorrow I might tackle the center carrier bearing on the drive shaft. I'm working nights so since the t100 isn't my DD, I try to get a little bit done before it gets hot in the morning, then sleep, work, rinse repeat.
Thanks for the compliment. I bought the tundra bone stock 3 years ago. It's a fun truck and it does pretty well off road

·
Registered
53 Posts
Will any 5vz intake tube fit to my stock air box? IE: from a 4Runner, Tundra or Tacoma? Mine is dry rotted to hell. I know my old tacos had a different air box but the tube looks the same to me. And I believe the 5vz Tundras have the same box as T100

701 - 720 of 723 Posts