Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my roomates 95 Elantra won't start. :rolleyes: Of course, I'm not a mechanic and I just want to be sure that I've gone about diagnosing this properly. :thumbsup:

Well, I got back and we attempted to jump start the car. Waited for a few moments for the battery to charge up. After he turned the key, I noticed that the headlights and radio were working, but there was no noise coming from the engine. Not even relay clicks. So I grabbed a breaker bar and moderately tapped the starter a few times. Nothing.

I'm assuming a bad starter motor relay would be the best thing to replace at this point. Any input? Thanks!

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
Doubtful that it is the starter. You guys were jumping it off? Was his battery dead?

A neutral safety lockout can cause the very symptoms you describe. Try shifting from park to low and back a few times and see if it changes anything. You can also try starting it in neutral instead of park.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doubtful that it is the starter. You guys were jumping it off? Was his battery dead?

A neutral safety lockout can cause the very symptoms you describe. Try shifting from park to low and back a few times and see if it changes anything. You can also try starting it in neutral instead of park.
He thought the battery was dead, so we jumped it off of my Expedition. No, the battery wasn't dead. :rolleyes:

I was wondering if someone would bring this up. It's a 5-speed (manual) and it doesn't have a neutral safety switch.... or at least not that he's noticed. It'll start in ANY gear as long as the clutch is in. Odd? I'll fiddle with the shifter and see if that's the issue later.

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
He thought the battery was dead, so we jumped it off of my Expedition. No, the battery wasn't dead. :rolleyes:

I was wondering if someone would bring this up. It's a 5-speed (manual) and it doesn't have a neutral safety switch.... or at least not that he's noticed. It'll start in ANY gear as long as the clutch is in. Odd? I'll fiddle with the shifter and see if that's the issue later.
AH! I assumed it was AT.

The five speed still has a switch with a similar purpose. It's just on the clutch instead of the auto trans shifter. The switch engages when you depress the clutch and start the car to keep people from starting a car in gear. I'd check that it is working first.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AH! I assumed it was AT.

The five speed still has a switch with a similar purpose. It's just on the clutch instead of the auto trans shifter. The switch engages when you depress the clutch and start the car to keep people from starting a car in gear. I'd check that it is working first.
That was my fault. :lol: Okay let me ask it this way... M/T cars have a neutral safety switch AND a clutch safety switch? Or is it just the clutch safety switch?

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cdnacadian said:
Sorry about all the PMS lol, im sitting here thinking about your Elantra.

The first thing you want to do is check for power while someone is trying to crank the car over on the small wire on the starter. The color is Black with a Yellow stripe.

There should be power there while someone is trying to crank the car.

While your down by the starter with the test light clip still hooked to Neg, probe the large gauge Red wire from the battery, should be power there all the time.

If you DONT have power on the small gauge Black with the yellow stripe, then we need to check for power at the clutch switch by the top of the clutch pedal, it will have a plug with two wires coming off of it. The wire colors on the vehicle harness side of the clutch switch are, Black/Yellow stripe and Black/Red stripe.

You should have power on the Black/Yellow while trying to crank it over.

If you want to eliminate the clutch switch as a possible problem you can just jumper the Black/Yellow to Black/Red and try to start the car this eliminates the clutch safety switch all together.

DISCLAIMER lol make sure the clutch is pushed in when you do this as it will start in gear lol.
Huge thanks for all that! Just posting so others can see what I may do tomorrow. HOWEVER...

The car started this evening... Without doing anything. I don't trust it. Hmmm.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Huge thanks for all that! Just posting so others can see what I may do tomorrow. HOWEVER...

The car started this evening... Without doing anything. I don't trust it. Hmmm.
We had a 92. Those cars, electrically, trouble prone. Ours had, among other issues, a problem where the electrical system would cut out if you backed it up on an incline. Very strange and could never figure out what caused it. I agree it sounds like the clutch switch, but can't offer help there as this was an A/T. Make sure the connections on the starter are on good too, because I had an issue where the ground in this case was basically broken off on my Corolla and the car would only start some of the time. Otherwise, have fun... finding technical help on these was a nightmare back 8-10 years ago. Maybe with the internet being bigger you'll get what you need now though, but it does seem like a clutch switch as mentioned above.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ I hear you on that. I'll check all of that tomorrow when I have time. There's an issue with the microswitch for the brake lights too. Good thing I don't mind electrical. :lol:

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I HATE test lights.... I have a multimeter for that. :) But thanks.

I think the official decision here is to leave it alone until something else goes wrong.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, here's the update.

Tested everything I could find with the multimeter. Clutch safety came back good. I could NOT find the the starter relay though... so we ended up just taking it into a shop. We were both tired of fooling with it. :rolleyes: Working on a car in the TGI Friday's parking lot was getting old.

Anyways, he's picking it up right now, so i'll be interested to see what was wrong with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts