Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not quite sure what to think about this. For a while now, i have noticed a change in the way auto manufacturers make their cars, specifically in the design of the exterior door handles. When they first started doing this back in about 1999, I noticed it, but not to the extent that I have now. Now, pretty much all car comapines are changing their door handles from the traditional stlye, as can be seen on the Camry (up til the 2002 model), to the one that is currently featured on the '02-'05 Camry. I wondered if anyone knew if there was a particular reason for this or not. I know it obviosly has the benefit of not cracking in half like the older style. Also, here is my speculation... I know that the ADA laws regulated for public buildings to change their doorknobs to the kind that jut out and look like a hook for disabled people who don't have fingers. Could this be the possible reason why the car handles are changing too? Although I can't really imagine a person with a hook or two driving.

·
The Matrix has you......
128 Posts

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I would think the main reason is the problem with breaking the door handles but you bring up a good point about the disabilities act. IT would be easier for people to open the doors.

What he is talking about is on the Camry's and most other cars up until the Gen5 the door handle was basically flush with the door and you had to put yout fingers under the handle and pull up nad out to open. NOw they are more like a bar that you wrap your fingers around and jsut pull out.

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4414/cat/523

http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4307/cat/522

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
matrix37495 said:
why the hell couldn't I see that?

And now that I see pics, the question makes sense. I'd say it has to do with what Cyorke said, cause I know more than one person who has pulled a flush-mount handle out of the door.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Me being one of them. My camry is missing about 3/4 of the drivers door handle right now. I have to use jsut my index finger to open it and hope I dont cut any other ones off.

·
Registered
4runner
682 Posts
they could always do what they did on overhaulin a few weeks back. Where they took the door handles off a dodge magnum and made it so youo could just push a button type thing where the handle use to be.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
I see Chris. Thanks for the pics.

I think the new designs are much better. I'm missing the passenger door handle on my Sebring because of it breaking....

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
wormhole said:
they could always do what they did on overhaulin a few weeks back. Where they took the door handles off a dodge magnum and made it so youo could just push a button type thing where the handle use to be.

Well they used to be like this in a lot of cases. The handle was similar to what the Camry and almost all other manufacturers have gone to but there was a push button towards the back of the handle. If you look at a lot of cars from the 60's and 70's youwill notice this.

As far as it being Toyota ergonomics. The Current Tahoes, Yukons and other Gm trucks have had this setup since they were introduced in 2000. There are many other vehicles that have had it for many years. It seems mostly the Europeans. I would assume there is more of a likelihood of freezing in European countries and such. The Mercedes have it had it for years.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
better grip is what i say the new handles offer. Especially on heavier doors. I have one complaint about the gen 4 camry and that is the front two doors esp, are real heavy and when parked on a slanted driveway/hill the door always loves to come down and smak you. My mom has gotten hurt many times even though she "prepared" for the door to come down on her.

Just curious if there are any quick fix ideas etc?

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
A couple of things

1) Women - they complain they break their long fingernails with the lift-up type handles. With the pull-type, they can wrap their hands around

2) Winter - I don't have a problem but that's because it's milder where I live but I assume in colder climates, it's easier to grasp the pull-type handle with glove on than the lift-up type

3) Trend? - Perhaps the, since everyone else is doing it, maybe I'll do it too?

4) kids? - esp. with minivans and SUVs, I'm guess it's easier for kids to pull the handle than to lift it up higher than they are.

The thing is, I like the lift-up types because, when done well, they're nice and perfectly flush (unlike those cheap black plastic handles on the Xterra or the Explorer that bulge out). The newer ones are okay as long as it's not super bulky e.g. TSX. Come to think of it, the old Volvos with the door handle behind the "bar", rather than pulling the whole handle, was a good idea.

·
Registered
98' LGT
1,113 Posts
Cyorke said:
Well they used to be like this in a lot of cases. The handle was similar to what the Camry and almost all other manufacturers have gone to but there was a push button towards the back of the handle. If you look at a lot of cars from the 60's and 70's youwill notice this.
Yeah, that's how they are on my truck. The only thing that's bad about them is that they are hard to open with the off hand (right hand on the driver side, left hand on the passenger hand) cause you have to flip your hand over funny. There has been more than one time that it pissed me off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mercedes used to advertise their door handle design as a "safety feature". The pull-type handle is easier to get a real hefty pull on if your doors jam in an accident. Just imagine trying to open a jammed door with the lift-up kind. Now you can put one foot next to the door, put BOTH hands through the handle and pull like heck!

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
I almost broke my Camry driver side door handle off last winter when my door was frozen shut. I finally got my passenger rear door to open and climbed over the armrest...

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Big Body LX said:
I almost broke my Camry driver side door handle off last winter when my door was frozen shut. I finally got my passenger rear door to open and climbed over the armrest...
When I was at Rivergate we replaced door handles almost every day when winter came and the weather was bad. People used to come in all the time with broken ones.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think Toyota has also been changing the pull handles give the car a more premium feel, even my new Yaris RS hatch has them, when my Echo RS hatch did not and the handles do feel more solid and substantial...

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
I don't mind both of those handles, but on my Dad's LeSabre you have to grab the handle from the top, and then use your thumb to push a small button on the side. I'll get a picture of one in a minute... :burnout:

BTW, I don't care for those handles because they stick out way too far.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts