Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I purchased a 1978 Toyota Corona at auction and want to get it started. It last ran in 2007 (assuming the license plate with 2007 tag belonged to this car). I guess my questions are pretty basic "how to get a car started that has been sitting" questions but figured there may be certain things to look for with the corona which you all would be able to help me with.

I drained the coolant and there is corrosion in the radiator and hoses. It was originally green but there is corrosion that is a orange-brown color. I added photos showing the radiator and hoses. What should I do to get rid of the corrosion? Also would this radiator still be useable?

I also drained the oil and it smells like gasoline. I've read that gas in the oil can be caused by leaky fuel injectors, but since this is a carb setup. Would it be a stuck needle that would make this happen? What can having gas in the oil affect or damage? What should I check?

This is the first time I try to get a car started that has been sitting. All information and advice is welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,518 Posts
Flush the block and radiator out with a garden hose then refill with water measured in gallons to see how much the system holds, then drain the radiator and measure what comes out, that'll tell you how much straight coolant to fill it with to get close to 50/50 or 70/30 or anywhere in the middle.

It sounds like the carb flooded it's gas out into the engine, likely needs a rebuild or thorough cleaning. May be better off getting a rebuilt unit. Fuel tank needs to be drained, dropped, and flushed out, and the fuel pickup checked. You probably need new rubber fuel hoses and a new fuel pump (diaphragm gone bad can also dump gas into the engine oil). Once it's all together with new oil and coolant and carb you prime the engine by pouring about 1/2 an ounce of gasoline down the carb throat and a couple shots of starting fluid as a chaser.

You'll also need to check/replace parts of the ignition system like cap/rotor/wires/plugs. And for heavens sake make sure the brakes work enough to stop it before you try to drive it off under it's own power or even push it around!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. This was the type of guidance I was hoping for. I will give an update once I get around to doing all of this to the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Csanch33
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing