Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have owned an accord for a while now and enjoy how the steering wheel provides decent feedback, but have been driving a friends Avalon and now I intend to buy one for many of the reasons that makes it a great car. My main issue with the car is the lack of steering feedback and was wondering if using an undersized PS pulley would be a good or bad idea. I know it would make the steering wheel harder to turn, but as it is now it's like rotating a Frisbee. I plan to go with the KYB GR2 struts if the car needs them. I don't want to make it a bumpy ride, just more feel and a bit less body roll wouldn't hurt. I am also considering slightly stiffer bushings all around, like the ones by Whiteline, but am worried about noise, I don't mind a little more noise (1-2db) but part of the reason for buying the car is the quiet ride. Any others ideas are appreciated.

And might I add that this is a long way from the MR2 MKII I was driving before the Accord.
:smile:

And just to add something for people just wanting to learn, here's this: http://www.carbibles.com/steering_bible.html

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I leaned this after getting the Avy. Its like that... Lux feeling.

You want a stiffer ride, more sporty feel so just initial change to KYB GR2s, ES or Whiteline bushings will do the trick. If you want even more precise steering, update the LCA bushings with poly as well (ES/whiteline).

Bumpy, yes for about 3-4k miles. Then its not as stiff. Bilstein or Gabriel are more like OE. Monroe quickstruts is another option but they are not reliable after 2 years. Noise, its not bad. Just grease them yourself. Get ES black (carbon) not red swaybar bushings. Can add zerk fittings. You should not have any of that noise.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.

I don't necessarily "want" a stiffer ride, just thinking that if I change the shocks it might help with body roll some.

And for the bushings, I think this might be the best way to get some feel back in the steering wheel. I had not heard of ES, will check them out.

But, I am still curious if using an undersized PS pulley will yield the results I want, ie. a more firm wheel when turning.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Here are the ES ones I got but have not installed yet. I have to drill and thread in a zerk fitting although just some silicone grease would help. Did not look into the right size for LCA bushings yet. Will go hybrid on those when its time to replace; just hate sharp cornering but I dont want sharp cornering.

Front 9.5122G [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-5122G-Stabilizer-Bushing/dp/B000CN9CBI[/ame]

Rear 8.5120G [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-8-5120G-16mm-Bushing/dp/B001660VSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1421646546&sr=1-1&keywords=8.5120G[/ame]

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Looks like these are the specs:

2002 Toyota Avalon XL V6 - 3.0L 2995cc type 1MZFE :pS Pulley: Steel; O.D.; 4.57"; Width: .906"(Rows 4); Belt Type: Serpentine; ID: .551"

But I cannot find another pulley with the same number of rows/width and with the same bore; I cannot even find one that is that much smaller diameter.

Might be out of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts