Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
spin turbo hammy... SPIN!
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok here are my thoughts, you can check my crappy pic and see if you agree...

Basically i mentioned in another thread i am gonna upgrade to a bigger amp and a kicker L7.
I currently have an optima yellow top and a 1.2 farad cap and this weekend i am going to upgrade "the big 3" and remaining engine grounds. My question is if the pic i have provided will be an ok way to wire my new system. Since i got a little extra cash i want to upgrade my sub for some SPL and then my interior stuff for a little SQ. I have a 4 gauge wire going to the trunk- with a distribution block up front with an 8 gauge wire that splits off onto a bunch or 14/16/18 gauge wires for my neons, 12V accesories, gauges and such- nothing to largely powered...

my main question is will i be ok around my capactior if i run a 4 gauge power to it along with a 4 gauge ground off, then have a 4 gauge wire to my bass amp and an extra 8 gauge wire going to the smaller amp for my 4 interior speakers... also would it be a good idea to add an extra fuse before each amp off of the capacitor?

Thanks for any comments, i have been reading online @ some of the sites I have found from other posts and I think things are fine, i just don't wanna create any fires and you guys seem to be good audiofiles

nate

FYI- bass amp- 600 watt RMS stable @ 2 ohms, 1 4-ohm DVC sub wired down to 2 ohms
interior speaker amp-50 or 75 watt X 4 RMS... haven't decided if i even want to buy one yet- just researching ahead of time

·
Registered
73 Posts
hmmm my suggestion is use graph paper, it makes diagrams much easier. and if you use a scale you could figure out how much wire you need... o well just a tought

·
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am not worried about scale and all of that- i got plenty of wire, what i mean is can i run an 8 and 4 gauge wire of the cap, when i only run a single 4 gauge wire for power...

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
theamazingnate said:
my main question is will i be ok around my capactior if i run a 4 gauge power to it along with a 4 gauge ground off, then have a 4 gauge wire to my bass amp and an extra 8 gauge wire going to the smaller amp for my 4 interior speakers... also would it be a good idea to add an extra fuse before each amp off of the capacitor?
You could run 8 ga to your smaller amp. you might even be able to getaway with 8 ga for the larger amp.

I would also suggest using a fused dist block before the amps

·
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Getting power to everything (picture)

Phi said:
You could run 8 ga to your smaller amp. you might even be able to getaway with 8 ga for the larger amp.

I would also suggest using a fused dist block before the amps
yeah that would be a good idea to upgrade to that- i think i will put one under my hood and one in by the amp, imo- you really can't have too many fuses cuz i have see what happens when wires start to overheat :disappoin

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Run 4awg (+) from bat to rear (I believe you have the bat fused already)
From rear use a maxi distribution block 4awg in 8awg out.
Run one 8 awg (+) to your four channel amp
Run one 8 awg (+) to your cap from cap run the 8 awg to your sub amp.

Ground both amps and cap to chassis of car.

·
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eddiem67 said:
Run 4awg (+) from bat to rear (I believe you have the bat fused already)
From rear use a maxi distribution block 4awg in 8awg out.
Run one 8 awg (+) to your four channel amp
Run one 8 awg (+) to your cap from cap run the 8 awg to your sub amp.

Ground both amps and cap to chassis of car.
that is a good set up- but the amp says that for the 600 watt RMS amp it is neccesary to have a 4 gauge wire... is that not true?

nate

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
60 amps (if you ever max) of draw only requires 8awg, and a 4 channel amp at 75x4 will require a 30amp fuse, so your max draw is 90amps, 4awg to the rear is suffice. So you will need a 100amp fuse at the battery.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
I recently purchased a stinger fused distribution block. Do I need to match the fuses with my system? or is it fine the way it comes?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
What do you mean? I dont understand what your asking

·
Road Trippin'
63 Posts
97avalonxls,

It depends on what fuses are already in the block and what your system setup is. If you have a system that needs 100 amps going through one fuse that is rated for 80 amps, then you'll need to get a higher-rated fuse (and possibly heavier gauge wire, depending on your power needs).

Does that answer your question?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts