Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know other's have said that you can take it into the dealership and they can disable it through the computer but is there not a way to open up the seatbelt connection and solder or close the circuit that makes the connection when the seatbelt is inserted? When I called the dealership the first time they said it was like $50 to disable it but now they are saying they won't because of legal reasons. There has to be an easy fix for this

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it since your insurance company could state that you modified the seatbelt mechanism or damaged the internal workings of it. If you don't want to take it to a dealer then visit your local junk yard and pick up a spare belt buckle.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you always ride around with the passenger's seatbelt on? I've had times when a backpack or box in the passengers seat doesn't initially trigger the sensor and then when you get going it does. It's just an annoying feature. I often put my seatbelt on as I'm backing up or immediately after I put the car in drive and hearing the beeping noise as soon as I sit down and turn the car on is a pretty big annoyance. If there are switches to turn airbags on and off there should be a way to turn the seatbelt alarm on and off.

·
JungPhu
2010 Highlander LMT
5 Posts
Diable Seatbelt Warning

I too have found the seatbelt warning to be extremely annoying. Anyone with kids can attest that on road trips it is necessary to for the passenger to her/his seat belt off for a few minutes to tend to the little ones in back.
Dealer told me it was illegal to turn this off. Went to a minivan supplier who retrofits minivans for the disabled. One small laptop, a star connection under the steering wheel and 2 minutes later....seatbelt warning diasbled and road trips are a little more quiet now.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Dealer told me it was illegal to turn this off. Went to a minivan supplier who retrofits minivans for the disabled. One small laptop, a star connection under the steering wheel and 2 minutes later....seatbelt warning diasbled and road trips are a little more quiet now.

Dealer is full of :poop:

In order to alleviate the inevitable questions about legality, the following are U.S. Department of Transportation standards:

FMVSS No. 208 only requires a seat belt warning system for the driver’s seating position. There is no requirement for an audible or visual warning signal that applies to the front passenger seating positions. Therefore from a federal standpoint, there is no legal bar to the modification of the passenger seat warning system.

The attachment from the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations, the law when it comes to these things), said:

S7.3 (a) A seat belt assembly provided at the driver's seating position shall be equipped with a warning system that, at the option of the manufacturer, either—
(1) Activates a continuous or intermittent audible signal for a period of not less than 4 seconds and not more than 8 seconds and that activates a continuous or flashing warning light visible to the driver displaying the identifying symbol for the seat belt telltale shown in Table 2 of FMVSS 101 or, at the option of the manufacturer if permitted by FMVSS 101, displaying the words “Fasten Seat Belts” or “Fasten Belts”, for not less than 60 seconds (beginning when the vehicle ignition switch is moved to the “on” or the “start” position) when condition (b) exists simultaneously with condition (c) , or that
(2) Activates, for a period of not less than 4 seconds and not more than 8 seconds (beginning when the vehicle ignition switch is moved to the “on” or the “start” position), a continuous or flashing warning light visible to the driver, displaying the identifying symbol of the seat belt telltale shown in Table 2 of FMVSS 101 or, at the option of the manufacturer if permitted by FMVSS 101, displaying the words “Fasten Seat Belts” or “Fasten Belts”, when condition (b) exists, and a continuous or intermittent audible signal when condition (b) exists simultaneously with condition (c).
(b) The vehicle's ignition switch is moved to the “on” position or to the “start” position.
(c) The driver's lap belt is not in use, as determined, at the option of the manufacturer, either by the belt latch mechanism not being fastened, or by the belt not being extended at least 4 inches from its stowed position.
What is installed in today's vehicles by manufacturers are called "enhanced warning features" and can be legally deactivated. This is what the custom features posted allow the dealer to do. Given that we live in a litigious age, some dealers may balk at changing this setting. At any rate, if your dealer does turn off the two settings the vehicle will still be legally compliant with the legal requirement of sounding the buzzer for not less than 4 seconds and not more than 8 seconds if the drivers seat belt is not fastened.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well if you must then simply remove the seat, go to the two wires that go to the belt latch, and either short them or open them? I'm not sure if this is a NC, or NO circuit, however its easy enough to test. Just do the opposite, and the car will always think the belt is latched.

As for the box in the front seat??? I always place large objects in the back cargo area, so NO I havent had that issue yet.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I picked up these instructions, either in TN or elsewhere, and saved them in my email thinking I might use them. Not sure if it works at all, or if it is temporary or permanent resolution ... never ended up trying it myself 'cause I don't have issues with the seat belt chime

"Set odometer to Odometer, not trip a, nor B, but just plain odometer.
Turn off the car, turn it back on.
Press and hold the odometer button for 10 seconds, then while holding it, fasten and then unfasten your seat belt (hard to do because you have to do it with one hand)
A message should appear showing you that the seat belt buzzer is ON.
You can now release the trip button. Each subsequent press will cycle you through On/off
Turn the car back off and your done."

Cheers.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I picked up these instructions, either in TN or elsewhere, and saved them in my email thinking I might use them. Not sure if it works at all, or if it is temporary or permanent resolution ... never ended up trying it myself 'cause I don't have issues with the seat belt chime

Press and hold the odometer button for 10 seconds, then while holding it, fasten and then unfasten your seat belt (hard to do because you have to do it with one hand)
You can now release the trip button. Each subsequent press will cycle you through On/off

Cheers.
You also need to pull your ears up 5 times, and down 6 times, then press on your nose with a left foot index finger and stick it in your butt to make these instructions work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Cheers.
I don't think this works for 2nd Gen Toyota Highlanders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you place items on the passenger seat often enough for the seatbelt reminder to get annoying, why don't you just latch the passenger seat seatbelt at all times? That way, whenever you put an item on the seat, the warning won't chime. The only downside is that when someone wants to get in the passenger seat, they will have to unbuckle the belt and then buckle it again when they get in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts