Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience importing wheels from wheelsnext.com. They've got a package of Enkei CDR9's (17x7) that I'd really like to get, but they don't pre-bill for the import duties/taxes... All told, the price is ~CAD$1000. Anyone know what kind of duties I'd be paying?

(or for that matter can reccomend a good place in Canada that has these wheels for cheap?)

TIA. :canada:

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
I imported my 19's in from Texas. Shipping was 30 bucks per wheel..and customs for 2 was i think 78 bucks. so times that by 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thats cheaper than I guessed. Some places were quoting it all built in for ~$300.

Do you remember if you had to pay GST?

Thanks =)

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
i never paid any taxes, except for customs. It may or may not be a bit less for you because they're smaller wheels..but it is all based on weight i believe.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
Just get them shipped via USPS to avoid brokerage charges.

Customs will most likely charge you GST and PST of the full value of the wheels in Canadian dollars.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
you always have to pay taxes unless you are exempt from doing so due to a trip out of the country that you took beforehand and declared them as "goods to follow" when you re-entered the country. they will usually exempt you $50 per item (gift limit per item) so that you will only be taxed on the value of each item individually over that- but that can also depend on how things are billed and how nice/ass the officer you're dealing with is.

duties are only paid if the items that you are importing are made outside of canada/us/mexico (NAFTA treaty). so I believe that enkeis will be dutied since they are made in japan. sometimes the customs officer will let it go because they are lazy or ignorant, sometimes not.

the other charges are from the shipping company who clears customs on your behalf and also pays the appropriate taxes and duties on your behalf. ups and usps/canada post will usually make you pay the balance when you receive the item. fedex usually bills you later.

taxes are 13% in ontario and duties depend on the origin of the item and the type of item it is.

I hope this helps.

and I'm moving this thread to the general section since this isn't related to meets

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
^I didn't pay any duties for my wheels which are made in Germany... yay me.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ thank your lucky stars for unionized workers who don't give a damn :hammer:

I know that back when I worked at customs, I didn't even make ppl go in to pay taxes/duties unless they pissed me off :lol:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Agreed, USPS is better choice, but could still be dinged brokerage charges, but just much less than UPS or Fedex. Ask seller if he's willing to mark as gift.

Best way to be sure is call USPS or UPS to get an estimate from them.

Or, given the state of the Cdn $, you may want to try kxwheels.com out of B.C.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts