Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bent plate down to decrease glare.....it worsened!?
While I had the headlights out as a test run for blackening them, I figured might as well just bend the metal plate down to decrease glare on my 5000 Xenon HIDs.....well, it seemed to increase the glare. I know there is another thread where it was stated this happened to them as well, (forgive me, it's 4am EST) and just figured i'd post a new one to re-present this potential troubleshoot since bending it down should in theory moderately IMPROVE by lessening glare (bec the hole underneath is still there should it only be moderate reduction)
WHY on earth would the glare appear WORSE!?
I really didn't want to start the whole JB weld deal, I just found it odd, that bending that plate down may have in fact worsened it. I don't know where I'll go now, if I bend it back to where it was, leave it or weld, but thought I'd put it out there in addition to the other thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i did the same thing by just bending the flaps which really didnt do anything, light still got throught that hole. it got worse probably because when u bent the flap it directs the light higher through the hole.so what you gotta do is follow the "covering the squirrel spotters tutorial". just get you some jb weld and cut a coke can the right size and then ur in business.

·
Registered
08 Camry
217 Posts
the only way to solve this problem is to COVER the hole. if you have the headlights apart for blackening them out this is very easy, hell you might even wanna just create a new shield for the projector all together and skip the JB Weld, but that is going to require significantly more time effort and work than the old aluminum can with JB Weld to entirely cover the slot.

the optics of projector assemblies are complicated and when the plate is repositioned it directs light in some peculiar directions.

the JB Weld solution works, it have done it and it is holding up very well after many months. until i have the time and desire to do a complete retrofit with some euro spec projectors, it is the best alternative.

Good Luck

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
if u had them apart then why didn't u just do a retrofit. come on you know you want to :lol: it's not as expensive as people might make it seem as long as u look at the right places.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
I told you just leave it alone. ;)

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Wow, just another repeat, repeat thread...........

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am probably left with no choice now but to JB weld. Leaving well enough alone was the best move in the first place huh GTR? :headbang:

I will have the headlights apart so might as well JB weld.

Njerald, I appreciate your tuning in to this thread, but I would actually appreciate some legit input (since amidst your ongoing sarcasm & dissatisfaction with threads - you actually ARE knowledgable) in my other thread with the fog light harness assembly.

*And it was a repeat thread bec it was 4am EST & I have little computer time (with holiday) to get searching and input before I get car apart again on Monday.

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
Yeah, I am probably left with no choice now but to JB weld. Leaving well enough alone was the best move in the first place huh GTR? :headbang:

I will have the headlights apart so might as well JB weld.

Njerald, I appreciate your tuning in to this thread, but I would actually appreciate some legit input (since amidst your ongoing sarcasm & dissatisfaction with threads - you actually ARE knowledgable) in my other thread with the fog light harness assembly.

*And it was a repeat thread bec it was 4am EST & I have little computer time (with holiday) to get searching and input before I get car apart again on Monday.
well atleast u didnt make a rim thread asking about if these wheels or others fit when those questions for those rims were already asked before :lol: seems in this situation it would of been better to leave it alone. if it was me i would take 300 bucks and get some projectors, ballasts, and bulbs for a retrofit if ur opening this thing up again. trust me you wont regret it and u'll love the output you'll get.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oy, don't mention rims, my head is still all confused at which style to go with....and by the way, that's where the rest of the IRS return $ is going, so a retrofit is out ;)

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
Oy, don't mention rims, my head is still all confused at which style to go with....and by the way, that's where the rest of the IRS return $ is going, so a retrofit is out ;)
if u want 18s then go trd or find some of lammy's hr2s. if u want 17s then get the new 5 spoke from 2010 camry SE. if u want 19 or 20 then get hr2s.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
There is a meaning to those words "Plan Ahead"......................and the more useless repeat threads that are started means it will continue to take longer to go thru the BS threads to find answers that were posted over and over years ago.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Much was planned, I just expected the flipping down to improve, ie redice glare. Weather sucked here in NYC yesterday, so went ahead and rescheduled for Tues.

*I understand the theory on a repost for clogging up more future searches though. For that gang, I do apologize

1 - 13 of 13 Posts