Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Here is my progress with my newest retrofit. I bought some 2009 MDX D2S projectors off ebay and added TSX-R clear lenses from Matt at the R/S . I used metalic black to paint my shrouds. These MDX Projectors bolted right
into the stock mounting bracket the same way that the H11 halogen projectors did. No guess work here.. these are very similer to the RX330
non AFS projectors. On with the pics. Projector mounted.

If you look close I covered the squirel spotter with an aluminum pepsi can
JB welded to cover the hole.

Back og the headlight...

Custom painted metalic black shroud done by me.

The cutoff line .....

Any opinions comments welcome.

Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About time! Nice work.
I know, I know.. I decided to go this route because I could never get the
RX330AFS to line up correctly with the shroud so I am going to sell those
and decided to go this route. You know how it is when your modding a 25,000 to 30,000 dollar car you want to do it right. Thanks for the complement..:D

Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
home much glenn for your rx afs projectors?
I'll give them to you... I did not pay that much for them, did you want the semi clear lenses too ??? Send me the drivers side reflector and I'll send you these another words a swap how is that ???

Glenn

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
you got a deal. waiting just for my headlights from my guy. as soon as i do i'll even drive up closer to you so you can have same day. doesnt matter what lenses. i got e30s for the projectors in my original retro. i had cleared lenses already in there so i can use with these rxs.

also how about before you finish this up we install some custom prism tail shields in those puppies(mdxs)?? jvx i think takes 35 for the shields.

·
2GR FTW
2007 Toyota Camry SE
1,543 Posts
Ah niceee, Did you use the stock halogen brackets and just modified them to fit the MDX projectors?

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
according to glen the mdx's brackets/shields have holes in exact same spot as our stock halogens.

·
JDM420.com
463 Posts
Beautiful. Gen 6 owners are lucky that something like that bolts right up :) Do you have any pics from a distance so that we can see how it look installed?

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ah niceee, Did you use the stock halogen brackets and just modified them to fit the MDX projectors?
No dark,
These are set up the same as the halogen a 3 piece set up, you have your bowl, bracket/shield then your front half (black piece) which is your lense
holder also. I eyed these up on ebay and thought to myself w/o taking any measurements.. thinking boy these look like they will bolt right up to the
highbeam reflector just like the stock halogens did. Guess what my intuition
was dead on they did. It has to be the easiest retro that I have ever done.. This guy's thread at hidplanet only confirmed that the mdx
would bolt right in... here is the link..

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32836
Glenn

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So basically this route is easier to do? :D
Yes sir,
Much easier, its take off the halogen projector screw in the MDX D2S projector, no cutting or modifications needed its a direct swap. The
reason why I started a new thread is to share my findings with other GEN6
owners that would be interested in doing this halogen to HID projector swap.
I got these off ebay for 100.00 dollars with 2 phillips 85122 4300k bulbs.
So I got a great deal. The stock semi clear lenses I was not a fan of, I did
not like the yellowish cut off, but throw in some 2.5 inch clear lenses
and watch these babies come alive. So yes these drop right in !!!!!!!!!

Glenn:D

·
Paul_09WhiteV6
09 XLE V6 White
6,677 Posts
well the only thing to do now is to buy some more sets and to get some others to the retrofit side. too bad i don't have a spare set of headlights because i would do a retrofit service with these. drop in some clear lenses only and maybe a custom shield if people like. glenn drop me a pm and lets see how the shield would look in these.

·
2009 Camry SE I4 MGM
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well the only thing to do now is to buy some more sets and to get some others to the retrofit side. too bad i don't have a spare set of headlights because i would do a retrofit service with these. drop in some clear lenses only and maybe a custom shield if people like. glenn drop me a pm and lets see how the shield would look in these.
Pawel,
You cant drop a shield in these bacause the shield and bracket is one piece
just like our halogen set up. They are not like the RX330-AFS or TSX where the shield is a separate piece the comes out by unscrewing the 2 philips head screws. Ya do you want to start a retrofit business j/k haha

Glenn

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
Yes sir,
Much easier, its take off the halogen projector screw in the MDX D2S projector, no cutting or modifications needed its a direct swap. The

Good job, Glenn! :clap:

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Yes sir,

We'll be in touch. :D

·
My other cars a DSM!
2010 Camry, 1998 AWD
138 Posts
Wow great job for taking out the guess work for the rest of us. Im sure alot of us will be jumping on the retro wagon now rather then just dropping hids. Now all i gotta do is figure out a way to convince the wifey to let me do the mod.

1 - 20 of 377 Posts