Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The piston on my glove box door kept falling off. Probably been popped off one too many times instead of just taking off the screw. Anyhow....just used a tab off of a can. Seems to be a pretty good fix!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because I think the clip that the tangs are worn out on are a part of the surrounding part of the dash. Maybe not....performance of the glove box door is not that big of an issue for me to go through all the maneuvers of trying to find the proper part (if indeed it isn't molded into the dash) let alone buying a new dash or even a junk yard...this was free. It's totally hidden. And seems I work.

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
I still haven't installed my piston back onto my glove box. It works without it. Realistically, how often will you open said glovebox?

·
Slow AF
99 Posts
Because I think the clip that the tangs are worn out on are a part of the surrounding part of the dash. Maybe not....performance of the glove box door is not that big of an issue for me to go through all the maneuvers of trying to find the proper part (if indeed it isn't molded into the dash) let alone buying a new dash or even a junk yard...this was free. It's totally hidden. And seems I work.
Could of just wedged a piece of popsicle stick in between the 2 retainer clips and it would of been a better fix instead if the can tab mangling the edges of your retainers.

·
Slow AF
99 Posts
I still haven't installed my piston back onto my glove box. It works without it. Realistically, how often will you open said glovebox?
I open my glove box a few times a day, say at least 3. More if im out on the weekends. I stash my radar every time I leave my car for extended periods.
Biggest thing I could for see happening is the bottom plastic hinge will eventually get bent/worn out due to the free fall and sudden stop of the glove box. Toyota installed it for a reason, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
The plastic hinge design is pretty robust IMO. When I use my glove box, I don't let too much of the gravity to pull it. I catch it.

·
Slow AF
99 Posts
The plastic hinge design is pretty robust IMO. When I use my glove box, I don't let too much of the gravity to pull it. I catch it.
understandable. My fiancees glove box is missing the dampener on her RAV. shes had it for a few years now and I have noticed that her gloves box has been getting more and more loose due to her letting the glove box drop. I have tried to fix the hinge but it never stays

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
Look for replacement at this point. Inspect the hinge on the instrument panel for damage also.

·
Super Moderator
5,205 Posts
The glove box has hooks at the bottom. On the instrument panel, the hinge is made out of plastic. They just mate together without hardware. Other than the piston.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts