Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Tacom DC 4x2
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching some car show on public television and they were comparing LSD vs. electronic locking diff. Some of the new GM trucks have an electronic locker that engages if the sensor senses more than 100 rpm difference. It can engage at speeds up to 25 mph. They were doing an up hill test where the truck had to drive on one side which had metal rollers. They showed the rear wheel spinning on the rollers and the truck not moving. They kept referring to it has LSD instead of an open diff. I don't think a LSD would operate like that. With the locker the truck went up the hill with no problem over the rollers on the ground on one side.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Hmmm... unless it's new technology... GM trucks have a mechanical locker. It is activated by a difference in RPM's, but I'm pretty sure it's more than a 100 RPM difference.

Worked flawlessly in my Sierra. I wish Toyota had the G80 instead of the LSD.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
depending on the incline, it is very possible the truck would sit still even with an LSD. LSD's are great for pavement where both tires will have close to the same traction. but in the case where one tire has almost no traction and the other tire is on solid ground still, the LSD provides minimal support

1 - 3 of 3 Posts