Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an article about GM's new SUV's.

"What's surprising in light of all this is that GM executives, starting with Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner, sounded cautiously upbeat about the coming year during conversations at a holiday reception last Thursday.
Mr. Wagoner was careful not to make predictions of returning to profitability. But he and other GM executives sketched out a scenario in which things get a lot better than they were in 2005.

For starters, GM isn't planning to repeat the crash effort to cut a glut of overstocked vehicles, which GM executives say forced the company to cut production by some 250,000 vehicles -- representing a roughly $6 billion hit to revenue.
Second, GM executives expect that during the first part of 2006, they'll be building and shipping a lot of their new, large SUVS, such as the re-engineered and restyled Escalade and Chevy Tahoe. That should be a lot better for the bottom line than slashing production.

Third, North American marketing chief Mark LaNeve says he's ready to go on the offensive in the large-SUV market, with ads that will call out Toyota for selling a large SUV with worse gas mileage than the new Tahoe. Overall, Mr. LaNeve said he's determined in 2006 to stick to his strategy of promoting GM's much-improved vehicles and boosting the images of GM's brands instead of succumbing again to corporate-wide giveaway programs."

That ********************************************

I can't wait for GM to go bye-bye.:clap:

·
I am HOT? NO SHIT?
425 Posts
Why would you want GM to go bye bye? Here is a guy saying that he wants his products to be right up there with the likes of Toyota. They are telling people that their products will be better and able to compete with the japaneese competetion. This can mean great things for Consumers as car companies try to one up each other.

·
I'm that guy.
351 Posts
Driver said:
Why would you want GM to go bye bye? Here is a guy saying that he wants his products to be right up there with the likes of Toyota. They are telling people that their products will be better and able to compete with the japaneese competetion. This can mean great things for Consumers as car companies try to one up each other.
He wants them to go away because hes a fan boy with no idea of what GM going under would do to the North American Economy.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nyscene911 said:
He wants them to go away because hes a fan boy with no idea of what GM going under would do to the North American Economy.
Our economy may take a little sting, but it's not going to collapse. Besides, Toyota is PROVIDING JOBS in the U.S. which HELPS the economy. GM is in a race to lay off as many as possible.

·
I am HOT? NO SHIT?
425 Posts
84Cressida said:
Our economy may take a little sting, but it's not going to collapse. Besides, Toyota is PROVIDING JOBS in the U.S. which HELPS the economy. GM is in a race to lay off as many as possible.
I do not mean to be dis-respectful to you, but your views on General Motors going under are very short sighted. I love all my toyotas, but it doesn't mean i am a toyota fan boy. I have no brand loyalty. I am a consumer who is looking for the best deal my money can get me. If GM happens to make cars in the future that are as reliable as a toyota, have nice interiors and exteriors and offer great features for the same price or less then i will give their products a glance and might consider buying them.

·
H/O 455
1994 Chevy Lumina
976 Posts
Boo hoo. It's called advertising and reality...deal with it. How is that "insulting" Toyota by advertising an advantage? It is a fact that GM SUVs get better gas mileage than some comparable Toyota SUVs...it's all in black and white at fueleconomy.gov.

You clearly do not have an understanding of economics when you say "I can't wait for GM to go bye-bye." The Wal-Martization of America will begin with the death of the American auto industry. The ripple effect will be felt in cities and towns across the country as suppliers close, local eateries that catered to autoworker employees go out of business, and tax base erodes as people leave these factory towns in search of new jobs. It's partially GM's fault, but it's also due to legacy costs that GM can't continue to pay. 460,000 retirees are pulling GM under...compared to Toyota's measly 1600 retirees in the US. That equates to BILLIONS of dollars that GM has no choice but to pay, and it will continue to worsen as the baby boomers keep aging. All because Bush and our government are too stupid to realize that the American auto simply industry can't compete with this burden being placed on its shoulders. While Japan takes care of its industries, we tell ours to go to hell.

FACTS:
GM loses $2,331 per vehicle
Toyota makes $1,448 per vehicle

GM US employment:
36,000 White Collar
106,000 Production
406,000 Retirees

Toyota US employment:
17,000 White Collar
21,000 Production
1,600 Retirees

Health Care Costs Per Vehicle (2005 Harbour Report & A.T. Kearny Inc.)
GM: $1,525
Toyota: $201

You decide who is more important to our economy.

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,269 Posts
84Cressida said:
:lol: There are so many things wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin. Ok, let's say GM disappears off this planet. dsmnick said it best, but let me reiterate...there are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of suppliers for GM, they will all go down...even tire companies like Michelin will take a huge hit. Suppliers depend GM, if GM goes, they'll probably go with it.

Remember 9/11? Two planes hit two towers, and the NA ecomony goes sour. Heck, even people in my company were laid off a few months later because we were affected by it.

I thought I had the first on this thread say but two people beat me to it. I'll lock this thread before 84Cressida gets eaten alive on this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.