Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting this was not posted. GM is recalling 322409 Chevrolet Impalas to check for potential problems with their seatbelts. Problem is that the seatbelt straps may separate from the anchors, not providing protection in a crash. Credit GM for letting the public know

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
They've had this problem with these seatbelts for ages... yet just now they're doing a recall? nice.

Manufactured by either Autoliv or TRW in Mexico, can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember problems going back at least 2yrs ago.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
Reminds me of the 3800 V6 NA/Supercharged motors out of the Grand Prix, Impala, Regal, Monte Carlo, etc., that was recalled not long ago for randomly starting on fire. They've had problems with these motors starting on fire since the LATE NINETIES!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Reminds me of the 3800 V6 NA/Supercharged motors out of the Grand Prix, Impala, Regal, Monte Carlo, etc., that was recalled not long ago for randomly starting on fire. They've had problems with these motors starting on fire since the LATE NINETIES!
Got a link? My wife's 2004 Impala has the 3.8L and I never received a recall notice? :confused:

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,765 Posts
This is the recall for the supercharged engines:

Date: March 12, 2008

Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 07035

Potential Under hood Fire - 3.8 L Supercharged

Engine

Models: 1997-2003 Buick Regal GS

1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

With 3.8 L V6 Supercharged Engine (VIN1 –

RPO L67) LISTED BELOW

To: All Buick and Pontiac Dealers

Attention: Service Manager, Parts Manager, and

Warranty Administrator

Based on information from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website, the media may report that General Motors will be announcing a safety recall involving certain 1997-2003 model year Buick Regal GS and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP vehicles equipped with a 3.8 L supercharged engine (VIN 1 – RPO L67).

These vehicles may experience an under hood fire. The fires may be caused by drops of engine oil being deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. If the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame in and in some instances the fire may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel. Most cases have occurred five to ten minutes after the vehicle has been turned off.

If a fire occurs, it may cascade through the engine compartment causing vehicle damage and in some cases, the fire may spread to structures where the vehicle was parked.

A total of 207,542 U.S. vehicles are involved. We are currently working with our suppliers to obtain parts required to launch a safety recall in the near future. However, in the interim, a customer advisory letter (see attached) is being sent to all customers of record to inform them of this situation. This letter will also provide three important precautions the customer should take: 1) Do not park the vehicle in a garage, car port or other structure. 2) If a burning odor is detected, the customer should take their vehicle to a dealer for inspection. 3) Customers should use premium fuel (91 octane or higher) as recommended in their vehicle owner's manual. The customer letter will be mailed on March 13, 2008.

If a customer comes in with this letter or is otherwise concerned about this condition, please use Technical Service Bulletin 08-06-04-019 to service their vehicle. Please note that there are two T labor operations listed. Warranty claims should be submitted using the specific T labor operation depending on the source of the gasket (GM or aftermarket) you install in the vehicle. The use of the two T labor operations may allow GM different options when the recall is officially released. The Technical Service Bulletin 08-06-04-019 is available in SI on March 12, 2008 and is attached for your convenience.

After the repair is complete, the customer will be ableto park their car in their garage, car port or other structure.

A Frequently Asked Question and Answer document has been developed for your reference. This FAQ will help answer any customer concerns. Please see the attached Dealer FAQ's.

GMVIS information will not be available for this recall until the recall bulletin is released to dealers

·
Banned
0 Posts
yes, rather than fixing the leak they simply keep the oil from puddling...its still leaking oil onto hot manifolds.
Huh? You think every car that comes in for the recall is leaking oil?

Think! Duh!

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
yes, rather than fixing the leak they simply keep the oil from puddling...its still leaking oil onto hot manifolds.
There were lots of people that claim the problem wasn't fixed and had an engine fire after the recall work.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Is this issue in the Impala related to the seat belt issue in the Traverse about two months back? I can't remember the exact details of that one though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts