Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Custom User Title
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/13/autos/chevy_hhr_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes

GM to recall 180,000+ Chevy HHRs

Models without side-mounted airbags fail to meet federal side-impact standards.

February 13 2008: 5:04 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors said it will recall 181,516 Chevrolet HHR wagons Wednesday after finding that some of the vehicles don't meet government standards for protecting occupants from head injury in a crash.
Chevy HHRs not equipped with optional roof rail-mounted airbags and sold between 2006 and 2008 failed GM's side-impact tests, said GM. Roof rail-mounted airbags are designed to reduce the risk of head injury in the event of a side-impact collision.
In a letter to dealers, the automaker said dealers would need to install a piece of energy-absorbing plastic to the headliner trim.
The recall will begin in late March, GM (GM, Fortune 500) said, when the parts become available. The company will send out notification letters to customers.
In 2007, about 99,000 Chevy Cobalt sedans were recalled for a similar problem. The Cobalt and HHR share their underlying engineering. The retro-styled Chevy HHR wagon is a competitor to Chrysler's PT Cruiser.
fan

· Banned
6,039 Posts
Who has had more recalls in the past 6 years, GM or Toyota? If you guessed GM, you are wrong!

Actually they fixed the problem and that's why there's a recall. The crash test dummy bumped their head too hard and GM addressed the situation. That would seem better than Toyota not supplying the required LATCH components in their Tundras and then eliminating the cut off switch so they wouldn't have to install them. BTW those crash test dummies were a GM product. You can thank GM for advancing vehicle safety by designing a state of the art device to measure occupant safety. Toyota certainly didn't do it.

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/safety/news/2007/5_star_side_impact_rating_092607.jsp

DETROIT (Sept. 26, 2007) —The 2008 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500 Series pickup trucks have received the federal government's highest side-impact crash rating - five stars - making Silverado and Sierra the industry's only full-size pickups to earn this top rating.

· Banned
6,039 Posts
Once again, double standards are prevalent. I simply responded to a GM bashing post with a few negative facts about Toyota and suddenly I am the "bad guy who is only here to bash Toyota". Please show me one thread here that I created with the intent to bash Toyota.

Seems to me you can dish it out (GM bashing) but can't take it (Toyota bashing).

Also, you guys all attack me personally (which is against the rules BTW) yet I do not make things personal and I am the bad guy. hmmm?

Dana has made it clear SEVERAL times when you guys lobby for my banning that as long as I follow the rules of the forum I am welcome here. But because I do not own a Toyota and I defend GM, you assume I am a troll that should be banned. This is NOT TundraSolutions, if you want to only discuss topics that praise Toyota and the Tundra where ANYBODY that doesn't gets banned, maybe you should sign up over there?

· Turbo S2000 FTMFW
2005 Honda S2000
2,113 Posts
^ Haha, i own a toyota and even I think their quality is on the decline :p

That being said, there really is no need to defend GM in this thread, it isn't bashing, he didn't even say anything, he just posted a news item. Therefore there is no need to retaliate OR bash toyota.

Besides, in terms of amounts of defects per 1000 cars manufactured, toyota is STILL better than GM.

· Custom User Title
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
^^^ Wow, once again you outdone yourself :thumbup: It's always nice to hear the words "Toyota" and "Tundra" in a thread that's about a GM recall. Very civilized and unbiased :thumbup:
Like most trolls, you shouldn't feed them. They are also usually misinformed.

Auto Recalls Increase in 2007

General Motors Corp. and Toyota Motor Co. both saw a decline in total vehicles recalled. GM recalled 537,992 vehicles in 2007, by far its lowest number during the decade. The automaker has averaged 4.7 million recalled vehicles a year since 2000.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iAJTdmH_fRdM4cgFodsgqDT1ObMAD8U7SN382

Toyota's largest year ever was 2.5 million recalls in 2005 or still only 53% of GM's 7 year average.

Toyota, which has vowed to crack down on quality problems, has seen its number of recalls drop for the second straight year to about 583,191 after it recalled a company record of 2.3 million in 2005.
in the last 7 years GM has recalled 32.9 million vehicles!

GM got lucky in 07. In 08 they are well on their way to over a million. Add in the yukon spontaneously combusting, the silverado/sierra transmission problems, and the unknowns left over from previous years, it should be a banner year for GM recalls.

Fan

· How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
LOOOOOUD NOISES!!

I'm just SAYING this, but my mom's G6 had the steering column recall, since it was past the factory warrenty my parents still paid for it, and the clunking ending up coming back less than a month later. I don't understand why the replacement would end up failing again?

I haven't had any comprable issues with the camry as far as recalls go, so what I am saying may have absolutely no meaning at all, but that's what I have to add.

· Banned
6,039 Posts
GM got lucky in 07. In 08 they are well on their way to over a million. Add in the yukon spontaneously combusting, the silverado/sierra transmission problems, and the unknowns left over from previous years, it should be a banner year for GM recalls.

Fan
Lucky? Of course they did, how else could you possibly explain it? GM can do nothing right and when they do, it HAS to be luck. Damn, I think I must have inhaled some of those Toyota Kool-Aid vapors.

2 Yukons catch fire, probably from the exhaust igniting a combustible left underneath the vehicle, and you sum it up by saying that "Yukons are spontaneously combusting". But yet when the Tundra has 30 Camshafts snap it is insignificant due to it only affecting about 30 (to date...supposedly?).

Oh, and please elaborate on any transmission issues in the 07/08 GMT900's. This is the first I have heard of this. Oh wait, I think you are confused, it's the Tundra that is having the "Rumble Strip" Tranny/TC issue that Toyota still has not figured out 1 year later.

Go ahead, you can answer me directly, no need to wait until someone else does so you can do it "3rd party". Don't worry, I don't bite. :D

· Research is Your Friend!!
2006 GTO
859 Posts
What is the phrase I'm looking for. . . .

Oh yea:

ToyotaFanFanBoys said:
"At least they are taking care of these issues with a recall instead of letting the customers pay for them like some companies. . . . "
Works when Toyota has a recall (errrr, extended service item), so why not give GM credit for "owning up" to their "problems"?

Oh wait, maybe GM can blame it on a supplier. . . . .

Wake up guys, you can't have it both ways. IF Toyota gets credit for "doing the right thing" and issuing a recall, GM should be extended the same courtesy. If GM is going to be crucified for having a recall. . . .so should Toyota.

2006 GTO
859 Posts
Lucky? Yea, the stars must have aligned and all these new platforms/vehicles magically assembled themselves. . . .correctly. . . . .what great LUCK!

You really have no clue about manufacturing, do you?

I too am curious about the "transmission issues" you speak of. Source please.

Unknowns left over from previous years. . . .
Nothing like pulling data out of your. . . . . errrr. . . . head to make a point. NICE!

Who needs facts when we can just make stuff up!!!! I love the Interweb.

· GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,711 Posts
Vmax2007 said:
Dana has made it clear SEVERAL times when you guys lobby for my banning that as long as I follow the rules of the forum I am welcome here.

Very true about you and EVERYONE else that posts here. This is a Toyota Enthusiast forum, not an Toyota Owners forum. Just because some TN members are less than enthusiastic about Toyotas does not mean they are not welcome here (I believe I had said this before).

VMax has helped out in the 07 Tundra section many times, sometimes in his own way, lol.

All of you guys make for some very good discussions, lets keep it to the facts and lay off the personal attacks (I know I've said that before)

Thank you.

:Bruce:

· Banned
6,039 Posts
Very true about you and EVERYONE else that posts here. This is a Toyota Enthusiast forum, not an Toyota Owners forum. Just because some TN members are less than enthusiastic about Toyotas does not mean they are not welcome here (I believe I had said this before).

VMax has helped out in the 07 Tundra section many times, sometimes in his own way, lol.

All of you guys make for some very good discussions, lets keep it to the facts and lay off the personal attacks (I know I've said that before)

Thank you.

:Bruce:
Thanks Dana!

Here is an example:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230473

Yep, I was all over the "POS Tundra" in this thread for having rusty step bars, wasn't I guys?

· Registered
3,529 Posts
Once again, double standards are prevalent. I simply responded to a GM bashing post with a few negative facts about Toyota and suddenly I am the "bad guy who is only here to bash Toyota". Please show me one thread here that I created with the intent to bash Toyota.

Seems to me you can dish it out (GM bashing) but can't take it (Toyota bashing).
The "bad guy" thing was your own doing. I was merely applauding how civilized and unbiased your post was. But the fact was you were the instigator, not fanfan who was just posting news initially.

And the "GM bashing" thing, was that directed to me? Please show me a quote of me unjustifiably bashing GM.

Also, you guys all attack me personally (which is against the rules BTW) yet I do not make things personal and I am the bad guy. hmmm?
Where was the personal attack in this thread? Please, enlighten me.

Dana has made it clear SEVERAL times when you guys lobby for my banning that as long as I follow the rules of the forum I am welcome here. But because I do not own a Toyota and I defend GM, you assume I am a troll that should be banned. This is NOT TundraSolutions, if you want to only discuss topics that praise Toyota and the Tundra where ANYBODY that doesn't gets banned, maybe you should sign up over there?
Your mere existence here does not worth anyone's time to petition to ban you. And why would I want you banned? If you're banned then there's less entertainment for me to be involved in :thumbup::thumbup::lol: Regarding TundraSolutions, I've already voiced my opinion about that forum on the other thread, so no need to repeat myself.

· Registered
3,529 Posts
OT...Toyota just finished 1-2 at Daytona in the second 125 qualifing race!!

GO DENNY HAMILN!!:thumbup::lol::lol:.....Now, chill boys!!
Are you talking about the Gatorade Duel? I knew that Dale Jr. won the 1st duel, but who won the 2nd one?

And what about the NCTS qualifying? Did Mike Skinner win the pole?

This Daytona 500 will be awesome to watch.

· Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,089 Posts
Are you talking about the Gatorade Duel? I knew that Dale Jr. won the 1st duel, but who won the 2nd one?

And what about the NCTS qualifying? Did Mike Skinner win the pole?

This Daytona 500 will be awesome to watch.

Yeah Jr won the first race, Denny Hamlin, the second!....Erik Darnell won the pole for NCTS in a Ford...followed by 2 yotas, Skinner starts 3rd...All the races starting tonite will be awesome to watch...The Trucks a Daytona are crazy!

· Newbie One Kanobi
2003 Toyota ECHO!!
8,654 Posts
>.> Somebody answer the damn question, what the fuck is wrong with the HHRs out there right now that needs to be fixed?

Didn't you read the article on page one??? It says it right there...the HHR's not equiped with the side-impact airbags failed to meet gov. safety regs. So they are recalling those.

2006 GTO
859 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.