Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...so I'm gonna get buddy camry to last as long as possible. I'm using cheap Kendall oil right now from a Firestone place(it was 12 bucks...what the hell) and am deciding to go synthetic. The car has 113,600 miles on it and runs quite well. So at my next oil change I'm going to go Mobil 1 5w-30 Synthetic. This will also be the first time I will change the oil myself. So I figure...what the hell, mind as well go sythetic.

I've heard some horror stories that if you go from dino to sythetic that is can cause you engine to start smoking cause it cleans out all of the seals and whatnot. Any confirmation of this being true or not?

Oh, and one last quick question. When I take my car to get the oil changed(whether it may be jiffy lube, sears, or Firestone), they normally always put in 10w-30 but the oil cap says 5w-30, no matter what the season. I should always be putting in 5w-30 right because thats what the cap says right?

It's a 1999 Toyota Camry LE I4(5S-FE) btw.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive always used mobil 1 synthetic oil and its kept my engine really clean. i highly reccommend it. I have a 95 and have always used 10w-30 mobil1 synthetic and no problems for 167k miles

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Bobistheoilguy.com
Forums

No, swapping from dino to synthetic, or any type of oil to another is not detrimental to anything. Nothing but stupid lies. There is a possibility that if your seals are bad now, but don't have a large enough gap that dino can flow through, synthetic might.

For the protection synthetic gives, it's worth it.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
i switched my car (92 v6) over almost 2 years ago, it didn't leak with mobil 1 5w30, i just put in mobil 1 0w20 for the winter, this is the thinnest oil i've ever seen, hopefully it dosen't turn my engine into a seive

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
yup.......Mobil one's 'da kine'. Real synthetics like M1 (Valvoline)are great at start up, cold weather etc. Had an old (69) dodge pick up with over 300k on it. Coolant ate thru the actual block behind the water pump.........any who, when I tore the engine down the thing looked like brand new inside! (After flushing out the 'peanut butter') Cleaned it out, welded the block and that truck is STILL running around Mesa Arizona. If you have a bad seal somewhere, IT WILL FIND IT as soon as it cleans the crud out....
MCTOY

·
40x40 pixels is crap !
357 Posts
Toysrme said:
Bobistheoilguy.com
Forums

No, swapping from dino to synthetic, or any type of oil to another is not detrimental to anything. Nothing but stupid lies. There is a possibility that if your seals are bad now, but don't have a large enough gap that dino can flow through, synthetic might.

For the protection synthetic gives, it's worth it.
yeah i had this problem i started running synthetic and it would run right throught my seals i was leaking about a quart every 2 days ( big money) then when i switched it back to regular oil it was fine. i have close to 140,000 miles

·
Registered
346 Posts
idk but from what my friend tells me is that pure synthetic is bad for the engine btw my car is an 88 camry. any who i decided to switch to quaker state pure performance or sometin like that but out the two of em it didnt make a difference for me. i cant really say much cause im not too experienced in engines nd oils so i just go with wat pplz tell me(ones that noe about engines).

·
Triple A Whore
Z06, Camry, Tucson
7,650 Posts
Frank,

I've been running 10W-30 ever since I got the car 4 1/2 years ago and haven't had a problem. I don't run synthetic though so I only addressed your concern about the weight.

You can pick up 5 quart containers of Mobil 1 at Wal Mart for $20.00, best price I've ever seen.

Use a Toyota, Purolator Pure One, K&N or Mobil 1 oil filter. Don't FRAM or that Supertech garbage from Wal Mart.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I am switching my car to that stuff too. They have a version for motorcycles and I put it in my bike over the weekend and am impressed. Currently running Castrol Synth - not the blend.
But I know my car is going to feel different, rebuilt tran (
:D ), Springs, shocks and swaybar...about time...only had the damn things in my closet since March. Yah baby.

·
Not so Noob now!
561 Posts
At my oil changes I do Mobil 1 or Syntec with the K&N filters. Love your car and it will love you... (most of the time)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30 on my '91 Camry (3S-FE). A little bit leaks past the seals where I lose a quart about every 1,000-2,000 miles, but honestly I think the protection it gives is totally worth it. I've run two quarts low without any damage to the engine. Oil pressure light came on briefly once, but didn't hear any metal friction. I might be able to slow the consumption by switching to a heavier weight, but I don't want to really have too thick of an oil running through my engine.

Get a decent oil filter with an good anti-drainback valve and filtering element. I hear the Mobil 1 and K&N filters are supposedly the best.

- John

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just put in mobil 1 synthetic for either normal cars or high mileage cars (i cant remember the name), all in all, its good oil, its the same oil that mercedes benz's have in their cars.

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
im scared to switch over to synthetic in my sv21, although it will make my car last longer...

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
When I bought my last jug of Mobil1 at Wallyworld,I also saw Valvoline (Real synthetic, not mineral oil) in the "high mileage formula". I will probably switch to it on my work vans. I am using Mobile1 on them now and have noticed some "seepage" around some seals (50K plus vehicles that I purchased used) Sounds like the best of both worlds....synth. protection with seal softeners blended in....
MCTOY

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic or non-synthetic are very safe oils to add to your engine.
What I don't like is Quaker State. And Penzoil is probably the worst oil you could use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts