Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried unsuccessfully for the past 1.5hrs to remove the last bolt securing the transmission to the engine in a 94 4Runner SR5 V6, 5SPD to change the clutch. It's the top bolt. Obviously it's a tight fit. However, I'm getting really fed up. Anyone who has pulled this off, please tell me how to do it before I set fire to this truck. I have bigger hands, so I'm already bleeding from this!:(

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
I used a really long extension with a universal joint at the end and then the socket. I went in from under the truck, btw. I may have used an electric impact wrench, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do what I do when I run into a similar problem:
Leave it alone, regroup and come back later with a clear mind and more patience!
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I feel your pain

I have done the same thing on my truck and I remember that it took me about a full 4 hours before I finally got that damn bolt out. I had to try everything. I ended up getting the right combination of attaching wrenchs to the back of a rachet in order to get the right angle on it to get that bad boy out. But it still took me a hellish 4 hours to do. Good luck. (In my opinion it is the hardest bolt to take out on the entire truck)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you ever end up getting that bolt out? I am going to be putting my tansmission in tomorrow so I will once again be feeling your pain... :(. I hope you got it in-Sampson

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had my share of problems with the bolt you describe, fortunately I replaced the clutch at a shop I used to work.
Had the truck on a lift, the correct size socket on a "wobbly" adaptor, and several extensions. I then removed and installed it with an impact. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is it possible to pull the motor without removing the trans. once that top bolt is out? (And everything disconected of course) The manuel I bought says you can only remove them together but that is a lot of work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem when trying to remove the engine on a 92 4runner i ended up taking the crossover pipe from one manifold to the other off and it was still pretty hard,
you might try using a air ratchet w/ a short ext. and going from the driver side wheel well
(remove the tire first) hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
there are two bolts at the top of the tranny. on the driver's side i take off the exhause pipe from the manifold and the cat and get it out of the way. there is also a heat shield there on the frame that's easy to remove and gives you more space. I get underneath so I can reach around the bellhousing with my arms. on the tighter bolts I use whatever to extend the length of the wrench handle, sometimes I've resorted to attaching a chain to the end of the wrench then pulling on it with both hands, making sure the socket is on good first of course. the bolts on the pass. side are easier because you can push with your back on the ground. the bolts on the V6 are easier to reach than on the 22r's.

of course the engine can be pulled without the tranny, it's actually quite easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts