1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I priced out a set of Denso Designer wiper blades on RockAuto.com

DENSO 1603119
DENSO 1603121

With tax and shipping, they will add up to more than $38. This is a bit more than I'd like to pay. So I am wondering whether anyone can recommend something that works well but not this expensive? Given tax and shipping from RockAuto is almost $10, it seems this is something we'd better get from local Autoparts stores? Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've always gotten mid range wipers from RA, 3 sets or more for our vehicles all at once to maximize savings. But after going 2 years on wife's 2017 hybrid, I've ditched that plan and will go with ones that are Teflon coated. I never get more than 6 months from what I've thought were decent rubber wipers.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am now going through RA's collection and search for their ratings on Amazon. Most of the time, cheap wipers got poor ratings. For budget ones, these have decent reviews (more than 3.5 stars).

Bosch clear advantage (19-CA and 21-CA)
Trico flex beam (18210 and 18190)

Denso designers do have better rating at 4 stars. But they also cost a lot more. There are just too many choices here.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,750 Posts
Silicon wipers are the best and last a very long time. However, at times they are tend to be really noisy when activating them when windshield is dry or partially dry.

I am just too cheap so, I just get whatever that is on sale at the Auto Parts place close to me and allow them to install it for me.

That's it!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honestly I always just got some Michelin Optimum XT Wipers. My local Walmart has the 21" for 11.47 and the 19" for 14.47. That's $25.94 before taxes. I live in Washington so you know I use my wipers a lot. I've had these on my 88 Celica for about 4 years now and they are still going strong. Don't make any noise when its dry either.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I get the free ones from Menards when they have them on sale. I just resign the fact that I will need to buy two-three set per year. I good cleaning of the glass with Bon Ami and 0000 steel wool and glass cleaner of your choice followed by a RainX treatment and you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Just a suggestion from someone who rarely replaces wiper blades.

Use rainX on your windshield.Not absolutely necessary or relevant to wiper longevity.
Every time you wash the car or monthly if you don't. Take some glass cleaner and clean the wiper blades themselves. Keep cleaning them until the paper towel stops getting dirty. Removing the dead bug goop and dirt from the rubber part of the blades gives you a clean surface and it really makes them last a long ..

Mine are usually good for years. The wifes car is 3 years old and they have never been replaced since the car was bought new.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Just a suggestion from someone who rarely replaces wiper blades.

Use rainX on your windshield.Not absolutely necessary or relevant to wiper longevity.
Every time you wash the car or monthly if you don't. Take some glass cleaner and clean the wiper blades themselves. Keep cleaning them until the paper towel stops getting dirty. Removing the dead bug goop and dirt from the rubber part of the blades gives you a clean surface and it really makes them last a long ..

Mine are usually good for years. The wifes car is 3 years old and they have never been replaced since the car was bought new.
It's not just the bug goop and the dirt you are removing by cleaning the wiper blades themselves; it's the oil that's thrown up on your windshield by the cars in front of you. The oil that drips on to the road from many cars get's thrown up on to your windshield by the cars in front of you when driving in the rain. Using glass cleaner or alcohol cleans that oil off the blades makes the wipers work fine.

Mike

·
5,915 Posts
10 X to RainX. Wiper blades use down to minimum, makes glass much less sticky to all kinds of junk.
Otherwise, blades are disposable item. there is not really significant quality and longevity between cheapest ones you can buy and fanciest ones.
SO I buy cheapest ones walmart. I have no problem replacing them often. Same time, fancy frameless ones, I have to replace them as frequently, so why bother...

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's easier said than done to clean the wiper blades. I used water and alcohol. No matter how many times I wiped down with paper towels, there was always a dirty mark on the paper. I probably have to replace them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Old Mechanic
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing