Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved to NJ and had to get my 96 Camry through an emission/safety check....well, they flunked my car because the driver's side window comes up too slow! The state considers that a safety hazard. I tried to argue that 45 seconds...max a minute can't really be considered a safety hazard but they weren't buying it. So have to have that fixed in order to pass my car. The garage (America tire) I took it to told me I would need a new window regulator and runner chanel? and they also recommended that I change the axle and inner tie rod on the driver's side since it is quite worn. Total cost $1500. Seems a bit steep to me. But maybe that's just what it costs!
Can anyone recommend a good garage or mechanic in the north/central NJ area? I figure if I have to spend that much I'd like to be sure the work will be done right!

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Camry
16 Posts
Hehe, i do,

Ken the master tech at the Sunoco in North Plainfield.
Really nice guy, gets right down to buisness. Call him up, see when you can bring it in for an estimate.

Its right off of somerset st, across from quick check. You can reach it from 22 East.

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AlqdRx0nMEtzrfdIgtHmvKWHNcIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBpZzIyMjd0BF9zAzk2NjEzNzY5BHNlYwNzcg--?id=10708938&state=NJ&city=North+Plainfield&stx=Sunoco&csz=North+Plainfield%2C+NJ&fr=FP-tab-lcl-t&ed=Olg.F6131DxpkfoB_ZZhav_z93vwIkgh3EI6c_s7H45BE6bYDhvG5SI9&lcscb=mMGRAYhlTeg

Sunoco On Yahoo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Will give him a call.....BTW, do you know if he will install parts that I get of the internet?......... I guess I can get the answer to that from him!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Man if the guy is going to work on your car to get it to pass let him make a little money on the parts! Do you take your own drinks into the bar also?:D

Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.........I thought he would be making the money on the labor! But parts too..... you are obviously a lot more generous than me.
And speaking of drinks, why would I carry my own to the bar, I'd rather have you buy them for me.....;) !

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,156 Posts
vml68 said:
I recently moved to NJ and had to get my 96 Camry through an emission/safety check....well, they flunked my car because the driver's side window comes up too slow! The state considers that a safety hazard. I tried to argue that 45 seconds...max a minute can't really be considered a safety hazard but they weren't buying it. So have to have that fixed in order to pass my car. The garage (America tire) I took it to told me I would need a new window regulator and runner chanel? and they also recommended that I change the axle and inner tie rod on the driver's side since it is quite worn. Total cost $1500. Seems a bit steep to me. But maybe that's just what it costs!
Can anyone recommend a good garage or mechanic in the north/central NJ area? I figure if I have to spend that much I'd like to be sure the work will be done right!

Note to Self....Never move to New Jersey.....thats the biggest rip off I've ever heard of!! Did you see in writing the requirements for state inspection?? If not, ask to....if they refuse call the state police!!..

Here in Virginia they've always been a pia with inspections, but never check the "speed" of the windows going up....?? What if you had manual windows, and a sore elbow would they fail you because you couldn't roll it up fast enough??....sounds like bull shit to me:eek: :disappoin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts