Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at the moment my gas is almost empty and will definately need a full tank fill up for my journey to work today..problem is... I just bought a penzo fuel cleaner which i was planning to use today when i go fill it up BUT then I found out that theres a shop nearby that sells the seafoam can(the real stuff haha).. now they wont have it in stock till tomorrow morning ...would it be ok to clean the fuel first and do the seafoam tomorrow morning? OR do both tomorrow morning and just fill like $10 worth of gas in the car?

Now I know this may have been mentioned a loads of time but I wanna make sure before I do seafoam... should I use the whole bottle? or half of it? And while its sucking into the engine.. should I do little by little? or just let it gulp it through the whole half cup?

That is all :rolleyes:;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just follow the instructions on the can. I believe it says 1/3 of a pint into the brake booster line. Also you will have to do it little by little, you will notice if you start sucking up too much and your engine shuts off.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh right engine must be running.. thanks for the tips :D

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
I dont like the idea of pouring liquid into a running engine (its designed to burn vapor not liquid after all) - i either get the spray can seafoam or i pour it into a spray bottle and use that to spray it into the hose.
If you use a plastic spray bottle, rinse it clean with soap and water afterwards or the seafoam might melt your bottle.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm planning to stick with the original instructions of doing seafoam.. it seems to work out well for others.. well most of them haha... but Yeah I'll make sure to clean the bottle. Thanks for another tips!

:D

·
PICKLE GANGSTER
3,191 Posts
I dont like the idea of pouring liquid into a running engine (its designed to burn vapor not liquid after all) - i either get the spray can seafoam or i pour it into a spray bottle and use that to spray it into the hose.
If you use a plastic spray bottle, rinse it clean with soap and water afterwards or the seafoam might melt your bottle.
yeah but too little at a time just gets burned up. You have no add enough to clean the engine but not enough that it stalls.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so am I suppose to stall the car??

·
Registered
Lexus ES300
17 Posts
10-4 on the funnel. Went straight from the store to the gas station wasn't thinking about needing a darn funnel. Plus, too blessed cold out to waste a lot of time looking for something to jam in there.:rolleyes:

·
The laziest around
1996 Camry V6 LE
356 Posts
Weak sausage. i use a straw and an empty can lol to get it in the brake booster line

·
R.I.P. '95 Camry LE V6
'95 Toyota Camry LE
1,267 Posts
i just used the hose.. and if you put in in the crank case (oil) then change the oil after a few hundred miles. and make sure to have plenty of room for ventilation.

·
official e-thug
78 Bronco & 92 Camry
37 Posts
I was curious and want to stomp any speculation, if you put too much seafoam in your motor via the vaccum line, will the motor hydrolock? Other people have told me it will. I've stalled out or come close to stalling out my 78 bronco and it didnt hydrolock via the carb. Any insight would be appreciated.

I figure that since its a 100% petroleum product it will not hydrolock but I could be wrong.

·
R.I.P. '95 Camry LE V6
'95 Toyota Camry LE
1,267 Posts
yes it is possible to hydro lock.. when you see the engine bogging down back off a bit.

·
official e-thug
78 Bronco & 92 Camry
37 Posts
I'll be a little more careful next time. Other people advised me to dump it in and flood-out the motor at half a can. I was a little nervous to do that so I just poured it in slowly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im just going to pour a little close to half a bottle...

·
Registered
2000 Camry
258 Posts
Yeah, when the engine starts shaking real bad, lighten up a little bit on it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When you are transferring the Sea Foam from the container (I use an old plastic tub) to the brake vacuum line (I access it at the passenger side where it connects to the pipe on the firewall. The hose can reach into the container without any adapters) it will make a slurping sound when you are doing it right. Kind of like sucking on a straw in an almost empty cup. Start with the hose about a 1/4" above the fluid and lower it until it is just above the surface and slurping it up. I usually hold the hose fairly steady against the side of the container and as the fluid level goes down I tilt the container to bring the fluid surface back to where the hose can suck it up. Start with a warm engine and use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can through the vacuum line. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and then restart the car. If it is smoking a lot let it. You may have to give it some gas to keep it running. After a few minutes (or after it quits smoking) goose the throttle a few times and then drive it around with quick acceleration for a few miles.

A good technique is to use 1/3 can through the vacuum line, 1/3 in the gas and (about 100 - 200 miles before a scheduled oil change) 1/3 in the oil. It doesn't all need to be done on the same day. You can stretch the three processes over several weeks if you need to.

Kep

1 - 18 of 18 Posts