Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sheenobi
2005 Matrix XR
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
True scenario: Yesterday a female driver parked her car next to me. She drove a 1990-something Mercury Grand Marquis and I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR. I don't know this stranger. She went for a run while I went to my tennis practice. When I return from practice, the girl was standing between our cars, looking a little nervous. I get the vibes she either in trouble or looking for trouble so I was cautious. I have remote keyless entry but decided to use my key instead. As I opened my door, she came around the car near me and asked "What would you do if you lock yourself out of your car?" By that question I knew she did it herself! LOL! A nice person she is and pretty desperate I offer to stay and give her some help and security. The place is at a public park and as night fall it gets pretty dark. She recently had the keyless entry feature installed in her car. She took the remote with her and left her Iphone and the car key in the car while jogging. I don't know how or where she kept the remote on her but mysteriously she lost it during her run. And worst, she a foreigner, has no family or friend, and her significant other is physically in another state. I offered her a ride home to get the spare key but still her house key is in the car. GREAT! And no sense wasting time trying to find her lost remote because it was too dark to see and the route she ran was too far. Luckily, I have membership with AAA roadside assistance (whew!) I did a phone call, waited for the AAA truck to arrive (45 mins.) and then came the slim jim! It saved the girl's night and her car could go home. While driving home in my car I thought about what if that girl's car is my car (the matrix), would a slim jim still work at all? Would it work on newer model cars?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most likely a slimjim will not work on your matrix. All of the toyota doors that I have had apart use a sheathed cable (like on a bike), which a slimjim won't work on.

That said, where there's a will there's a way. I've locked myself out of three different cars, and got to watch 3 different people figure there way in. All 3 used an "air bag" resembling a blood pressure cuff to pry open the door slightly. A cop in Maine used a flexy-type coathanger to fish my keys out of the center console. An AAA guy used a noose to grab the lock and pull it up on my brother's accord... and another one used a stick o push the electric locks on my truck...

I've always thought the tools would be nice to have on hand, but I guess they are instruments of mischief without a good reason. Could get you in trouble in some states.

·
Sheenobi
2005 Matrix XR
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, I sure never heard of that "air bag" method before. I guess for me (and anybody else) it is worth having roadside assistant when you need it.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
I locked myself out od my '95 Tacoma 4x4. An off duty cop tried to help me with a slim jim and couldn't get it open. I called a locksmith and told him the cop tried with a slim jim and he said they don't work on Toyota's made after 1990.
Anyway, he used a hanger and a thick rubberband to grab the manual lock. It took him about 15 seconds and he charged be $35.00... I was ready to break my sliding rear window. Glad I didn't. Stealership wants $400.00 for it.
What part of Hawaii are you from? I'm from Ewa Beach on Oahu.

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
A metal tool slid down in a car door to hook the locking mechanism and open it.

I met my wife 34 years ago by breaking into her Mustang when she was locked out. Used a coat hanger.

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts

I met my wife 34 years ago by breaking into her Mustang when she was locked out. Used a coat hanger.
smooth move with an epic win

·
Half a Bubble Off Plumb
2009 Yaris Sedan
138 Posts
See, kids, practice those life skills like breaking into cars. You never know when they'll come in handy!

(I was cutting a class that morning, too, as i recall.) :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
What the heck is a slim jim?
Most likely a slimjim will not work on your matrix. All of the toyota doors that I have had apart use a sheathed cable (like on a bike), which a slimjim won't work on.
The ones that I have seen seemed to be 12" or 18" metal rulers (without the cork backing) with a certain notch cut into the side down near one end. It is slid down in that slim space between the window and the outer door panel and hooked onto the locking mechanism to force it unlocked. I have only seen it used on (older) cars with the pull-up/push-down lock button; as mentioned, the slim jim may not work on newer Toyotas with the rotating lock barrel that is part of the inside door release handle.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,864 Posts
i always keep a slim jim, rubber and wood door wedges, and some long and skinny pieces of medal in my trunk for just such an emergancy. luckily i have only had to use this stuff once so far (obviously not on my car). i think i was in their car with 45-60 seconds.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
See, kids, practice those life skills like breaking into cars. You never know when they'll come in handy!

(I was cutting a class that morning, too, as i recall.) :D

haha....epic win :thumbup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you're interested, there's various entry kits available. Most bent wire kits require a certain level of door contruction knowledge, and training. Check out some tow truck supply sites. The thing that looks like a blood pressure cuff is an air wedge, and is available as part of a kit called the Stec Big Easy. I have one, and have used it numerous times (firefighter). It requires very little training, is quite easy to use, and very quick to open doors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah that's always fun, had that happen a while ago when in college. Was going to my car and had someone who was locked out approach me. Asked if I knew how to get into his car. Was like, a 1997 Ford Taurus and I took the coathanger and hit the electric dealy on the door. Worked and everything. But then I worked at a couple auto places up here and we had the whole air bag lock out device. For a while the employees kept locking the keys in customer's cars. But hey, was valuable knowledge to learn incase soemthing happens when out.

·
SIGtastic!!!
07 Tacoma Quad cab
236 Posts
just more reason I keep a spare key in my wallet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts