Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know who makes a Good oscilloscope for auto diagnostics. If anyone has any info that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
I'm in the Aviation Industry, Field work. Ours is an older version of this one, not sure of the model # since it's out of the shop being used by another A&P.

Also, Good resource for research.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sdspeed. I do my own work on my cars. I am a beginner to oscilloscopes. Thanks for the help. Do you know and good oscilloscopes that are cheap for a beginner. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
I use a multi-meter a lot and have very little time on a scope besides ocassionaly at work and when I was in college when hand-held scopes didn't exist :( Not my strong suit!
I've been a auto/aircraft mechanic for close to 50 years and besides while working in the avionics shop many years ago have rarely ever used or needed one so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I guess if I were considering one I'd decide based on what I intended to do with it, set a budget and read about various units from sites like the one I mentioned. Use that research to pick a unit and then Google used ones that have a guarantee on them.
A lot of industries upgrade constantly so good clean units are out their. Check Industrial Auction sites too.
Example:

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,221 Posts
Just curious , how do you plan on using one in the automotive arena?
I wanna say the oscilloscope can be used for... coil packs, crank sensors, cam sensors, stuff like that. I like my Fluke... 87? 89? multi-meter because it does a lot of the work for you and is easy to understand. Probably my favorite tool in my tool box because of how great it is for electrical diagnosis. Power probes are great too.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
I wanna say the oscilloscope can be used for... coil packs, crank sensors, cam sensors, stuff like that. I like my Fluke... 87? 89? multi-meter because it does a lot of the work for you and is easy to understand. Probably my favorite tool in my tool box because of how great it is for electrical diagnosis. Power probes are great too.
A former co-worker liked my Fluke so much he took it the day he got fired, Ugh!
Vangm25, Where do you get the technical specs on those various parts and sensors. Thinking operational parameters etc.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
A former co-worker liked my Fluke so much he took it the day he got fired, Ugh!
Vangm25, Where do you get the technical specs on those various parts and sensors. Thinking operational parameters etc.
Toyota TIS is gonna have everything and and if I remember correctly the TechStream's (as in the ones at the dealerships) are gonna have some tools to use too. I did some of those test while I was still in the Toyota T-Ten Program but I was never good with drivability. Toyota TIS has the procedures, lists of recommended tools, specs, etc. etc. etc. I am really only okay at reading electrical wiring diagrams and saying "yes this components is probably bad" but I am not good at testing the actual component. I think Knock Sensors is another component that an oscilloscope may be used for testing.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
Toyota TIS is gonna have everything and and if I remember correctly the TechStream's (as in the ones at the dealerships) are gonna have some tools to use too. I did some of those test while I was still in the Toyota T-Ten Program but I was never good with drivability. Toyota TIS has the procedures, lists of recommended tools, specs, etc. etc. etc. I am really only okay at reading electrical wiring diagrams and saying "yes this components is probably bad" but I am not good at testing the actual component. I think Knock Sensors is another component that an oscilloscope may be used for testing.
Good to know,Thanks!
Your electrical issues are the same ones that got me kicked out of the Avionics Shop :) Although I sure could burn up the time clock starring at a scope since no-one else knew what the hell they were looking at either.
Didn't break my heart since I prefer powerplants!

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Good to know,Thanks!
Your electrical issues are the same ones that got me kicked out of the Avionics Shop :) Although I sure could burn up the time clock starring at a scope since no-one else knew what the hell they were looking at either.
Didn't break my heart since I prefer powerplants!
Yeah, I could look at a scope and just be confused. I guess in simple terms, this might be how to read a crank or ABS sensor in numbers. 🤷‍♀️ I could also just be thinking of the wrong tool.
  • Good
  • Bad
    • Missing tooth

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,357 Posts
Don't have the uScope yet but am contemplating it.
It is inexpensive as scopes go howsoever only one channel.
Understand very uselful for most automotive checks.
Drawback would be when you want to compare signals such as cam/crank syccroni

1 - 20 of 49 Posts