Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,403 Posts
Uscope would be as good as any testing O2 sensors however scan tool does a good job also.
I think of using a scope more for ignition/timing/MAF/TPS/CAN where waveform analysis is needed.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,545 Posts
Uscope would be as good as any testing O2 sensors however scan tool does a good job also.
I think of using a scope more for ignition/timing/MAF/TPS/CAN where waveform analysis is needed.
Wave form, etc.

vs

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Cheap entry level scopes can be had for under $100 on eBay/AZ. Hook 'em up to a computer for display. Software may not be 100% polished, as is the case with anything cheap.
Brand name scopes, such as PicoScope run $300-500 used, and up from there new. Same as above, hooks up to your laptop. Pico software is very good. Plenty of shops and dealerships use these.
Then you have portable scopes with their own screens, starting at $200-300 and going up from there. uScope is $400. You can get a similar "graphing multimeter" for a fraction of the cost, but I never looked into them much, probably has a bunch of limitations (low frequency, etc).
You can also get an old school scope with screen used for $100-200, though it's not as portable for automotive use.
The price only goes up from there as you get more and more features/channels/higher frequency.

Either of these options will allow you to hook up to and view signal out of an O2 sensor. All depends on how much you're willing to spend.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Salvie. Is the Uscope any good. Also what is a good beginner entry level scope for car sensors. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Salvie. Is the Uscope any good. Also what is a good beginner entry level scope for car sensors. Thanks.
uScope is small, portable, expensive, limited in features because of it's size. If you want small and are ok with the price and features, go for it. If not, pick something else that suits your budget, or get $5000 Fluke makes if money is no object.

TL;DR:
-->
Either of these options will allow you to hook up to and view signal out of an O2 sensor. All depends on how much you're willing to spend.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
At this point, the real question is how many times are you gonna use an oscilloscope? The next question after obtaining an oscilloscope is gonna be, "does this picture look right"?

If you really want to see O2 Sensor information, just get a device that can show you Live Data and compare the voltages and other readings related to it.

Don't make "simple things" more complicated. KISS: Keep it simple stupid.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Salvie can you actually test oxygen sensors with out an oscilloscope. If so how would I do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cj1. What is the ultimate best way to test an oxygen sensor. I thought it was a oscilloscope. What is you thoughts on that.
Also how do you test a maf sensor with a oscilloscope. I never knew you could do that.
Cj1. You said you think of using a oscilloscope where wave for analysis is needed. Well to test an oxygen sensor don’t you have to analyze the wave form. These are the questions I have. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Try this:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It still does not answer my question: how do you test an oxygen sensor with out an oscilloscope. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Sometimes you gotta find the answer yourself if no one is willing to help you. I found an answer.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
If you search what you just typed you will find that the link works because it will be nearly the first result on there.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
Hey bull -

The answer to your question is not short and simple, not easy to post up like I think you want it.

The best way to start with sensor testing is to first get a firm understanding of how the sensor works. You need to know what each wire does, how the sensor operates in relation to the environment it is in (as in, does it energize a circuit, does it open a circuit, does it do it due to heat, noise, voltage, etc.). You need to know the voltage ranges of the sensor. O2 sensors for example range between 0 and 1 volts as their output voltage (going to the ECU). Once you have a pretty good understanding of HOW it works, then you can move to testing it to see IF it works.

The primary way to test is with an O-scope, or with a diag tool that reads the data in live mode and outputs that data to you. That last way is the best as you don't have to interpret the signal on the scope, you are just looking at the voltage swings and the timing on the chart the tool indicates.

This guy does a pretty good job describing the HOW, and a simple way to test basic functionality with a multimeter. Ratchets and Wrenches.

Many, many other videos you can watch on Youtube that show you how to fully diagnose these with various OBDI packages out there. You are looking for the voltage swings at various RPMs and at certain times (when you up the RPM and as you let the RPMs back down to idle). You need a charting, live data scan tool to do it.

All these tools cost more than the 02 sensor, but of course give you a tool to test many other things. If you are serious about testing various auto components/sensors for a long time, then invest in a good, high dollar scan tool like Autel or something like that. But plan that this tool will cost you in the $2,000 and up range if you want to have a reliable, stable, multi-use tool across many vehicles.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sf Camry. I have a launch crp123 scan tool. It has live data and graphing capability. Is that what you were talking about for test oxygen sensor.
Do you have a o scope. Thanks for reply

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,713 Posts
Sf Camry. I have a launch crp123 scan tool. It has live data and graphing capability. Is that what you were talking about for test oxygen sensor.
Do you have a o scope. Thanks for reply
I do not have an o-scope, not do I have a good scan tool that will graph live data. What you have may do it, I am not sure. You need to go through the menus and see if it has O2 sensor diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sf Camry. I go into my launch crp 123 scan tool menu. When I am in the menu. What am I looking for. Oxygen sensor diagnostics or something else. Thanks.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts