Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And I'm not talking about Halloween trick or treat candy.

Just got done ordering my TRD lowering Springs, Rear Sway Bar and Strut Brace. Oh my goodness can't wait. :D

I need a manual to help with the spring install. Does the nation prefer Chiltons or Haynes? After a month or so I'll get my rims and tires.

00602-48130-019 Lowering Springs $199.53
00602-53607-101 Front Strut Brace $167.85
00602-48800-101 Rear Sway Bar $158.62
All from toyotaparts4u.com.

I'm sooooo gellin.:D

PS -I'll be sure to post DIY Gen5 pics.

·
Mighty Flying Family Sedn
Camry
510 Posts
you're installing aftermarket springs w/ oem shocks?

wouldn't that wear out the shocks faster?

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
hey bro, get yourself a factory repair manual and save yourself the hassle of trying to figure out the 5 steps that haynes left out in the middle of an install. Haynes has left me in the dark on many an install. You got yourself some sweet parts.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Mikey21 said:
trd Camry 2003,

Thanks alot for the link. I printed it all out, it's ready to get dirty hand prints all over it. :lol: :lol:

Thanx,

Mike

NP man just a couple of min. of searching. I actually got it off a thread over at www.solaraguy.com

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
the haynes is better...again...you should get struts with your springs cus i doubt those OEM ones are gonna take the pressure

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
89SV21 said:
hey bro, get yourself a factory repair manual and save yourself the hassle of trying to figure out the 5 steps that haynes left out in the middle of an install. Haynes has left me in the dark on many an install. You got yourself some sweet parts.
My car is a 2004. This is probably one of the few things that I would need the manual for. Very few mods after these three. Car has ample power and good handling actually. I just want it to stick a little better in the turns.

Erbe said:
you should get struts with your springs cus i doubt those OEM ones are gonna take the pressure
My Camry is an SE. It's suspension is not CE or LE or XLE. It sits lower and handles better than other Camry's. I'm pretty sure the struts are an upgrade from regular OEM. The ride quality and handling are pretty good. I just wanted a better ride height and a little tighter handling in the turns. These struts will handle this set-up for atleast a few years since they're only 6 months old.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Mikey21 said:

My Camry is an SE. It's suspension is not CE or LE or XLE. It sits lower and handles better than other Camry's. I'm pretty sure the struts are an upgrade from regular OEM. The ride quality and handling are pretty good. I just wanted a better ride height and a little tighter handling in the turns. These struts will handle this set-up for atleast a few years since they're only 6 months old.
I wouldn't say they can last you a few more years. It varys a lot. Some ppl have had them bust in half a year, others have gone for a few years. It depends.

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CamNub said:
I wouldn't say they can last you a few more years. It varys a lot. Some ppl have had them bust in half a year, others have gone for a few years. It depends.
OK, Now everybody says the strut won't last. But what is a strut? By adding lowering springs to it how does that increase the load on it???

Are you saying the shock portion of the strut will wear out??? I think not because the up and down travel will be less than before.

As far as the structural components of the strut it is still carrying the same basic load as before.

What does a strut do??? It attaches the wheel hub to the body of the car. It carries the shock absorber and spring. It also turns the front wheels.

How does replacing OEM springs with lowering springs affect the life of the strut??? Unless I decided to run a Formula one closed course with the throttle mashed I don't get it. Maybe some of you watched fast and furious too many times?

On an average day I might take the freeway on ramp and off ramp a few miles an hour faster with the new set-up. But that's about it. I don't see myself doing much more than that on a day to day basis. Of course I might let it all hang out once in awhile but not enough I don't think to excessively wear out my struts.

Now I could understand the struts giving out if they were say 6 years old and I started to lean on them hard, but that's not the case here.

Any info as to why they give out and what part of the strut fails will be gladly accepted. I need more knowledge than to say "you need better struts cause they going fail".

Oh, by the way some body go find me some performance struts for a 2004 SE V6. I couldn't find any.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Talk to BlueMeanie. He knows a lot. Im just relaying what I know. But i don't know much in the theory behind.

Please post what bluemeanie says. How it wears.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts