Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm coming due for a set of tires in the next few months.
I drive about 1,000ish miles a week, so tire life is crucial for me.

Came across these which are made exclusively for Walmart by Goodyear.
$100 per tire & $500ish out the door for 4 with an 80,000 mile warranty looks very attractive from the numbers.

Anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Assurance Outlasts?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-215-55r17-94v-SL-Assurance-Outlast/217715651

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm coming due for a set of tires in the next few months.
I drive about 1,000ish miles a week, so tire life is crucial for me.

Came across these which are made exclusively for Walmart by Goodyear.
$100 per tire & $500ish out the door for 4 with an 80,000 mile warranty looks very attractive from the numbers.

Anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Assurance Outlasts?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-215-55r17-94v-SL-Assurance-Outlast/217715651
I have no personal experience with that tire, but Tire Rack, an authoritative and respected site for tires, rates Goodyear Assurance as one of the best tires for long treadwear. $500 for 4 seems like a very good deal, especially with an 80,000 mile warranty.

Robert N.

·
counterattack
2001 Toyota Camry
83 Posts
No experience here either, however, have you looked into the Michelin Defenders? I think they are also rated for 80k miles. I have heard pretty good things about them, especially regarding tire wear. Personally, I am running Michelin Premier A/S due to the better grip and comfort. Wear life is not as important to me.

*Just checked tire rack I think Defenders have a 90k warranty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No experience here either, however, have you looked into the Michelin Defenders? I think they are also rated for 80k miles. I have heard pretty good things about them, especially regarding tire wear. Personally, I am running Michelin Premier A/S due to the better grip and comfort. Wear life is not as important to me.

*Just checked tire rack I think Defenders have a 90k warranty
Took a quick look at the Defenders. TireRack doesn't carry 215/55/17s for whatever reason and Walmart wants $155 per tire for the Defenders.
For an extra 10,000 miles of warranty, the $220 doesn't pencil out for me.

That said, that is absolutely amazing that a 90K rated tire is on the market. 100,000 will probably be here soon.

·
BeerSteakTxas
11,085 Posts
I have no personal experience with that tire, but Tire Rack, an authoritative and respected site for tires, rates Goodyear Assurance as one of the best tires for long treadwear. $500 for 4 seems like a very good deal, especially with an 80,000 mile warranty.

Robert N.
The tire in question is not listed on TR even though TR sells a bunch of different Goodyear tires. TR sells Assurance MaxLife, but it's a different model and "This tire hasn't received enough consumer feedback to be rated."
The thing is, long tread wear tires, especially sold by only certain retail chains or tire shops usually have less than decent construction, heat index and traction.
I'm shopping at WM for many things, but I wont buy a WM line of tires.
Personally, just going by specs, I don't like 51max psi -soft walls and 600 UTQG -does not correlates to 80K wear. For example, the Defender is rated at 44 psi max and have UTQG 820 @ 80K wear warranty.

I had 70K rated Pirelli P7+ and I'm currently on 80K rated Michelin Defender and would recommend both of them. Imo P7+ a bit quieter, but they both have great dry-wet traction and great wear. They both around $170 for 225/55/17, but you can get $100 rebate on them and DT had extra $50 off if you open their credit card.

·
BeerSteakTxas
11,085 Posts
Took a quick look at the Defenders. TireRack doesn't carry 215/55/17s for whatever reason and Walmart wants $155 per tire for the Defenders.
For an extra 10,000 miles of warranty, the $220 doesn't pencil out for me.

That said, that is absolutely amazing that a 90K rated tire is on the market. 100,000 will probably be here soon.
90K wear is not certain thing, that's just an estimate.

Treadwear Grades
UTQG Treadwear Grades are based on actual road use in which the test tire is run in a vehicle convoy along with standardized Course Monitoring Tires. The vehicle repeatedly runs a prescribed 400-mile test loop in West Texas for a total of 7,200 miles. The vehicle can have its alignment set, air pressure checked and tires rotated every 800 miles. The test tire's and the Monitoring Tire's wear are measured during and at the conclusion of the test. The tire manufacturers then assign a Treadwear Grade based on the observed wear rates. The Course Monitoring Tire is assigned a grade and the test tire receives a grade indicating its relative treadwear. A grade of 100 would indicate that the tire tread would last as long as the test tire, 200 would indicate the tread would last twice as long, 300 would indicate three times as long, etc.

The problem with UTQG Treadwear Grades is that they are open to some interpretation on the part of the tire manufacturer because they are assigned after the tire has only experienced a little treadwear as it runs the 7,200 miles. This means that the tire manufacturers need to extrapolate their raw wear data when they are assigning Treadwear Grades, and that their grades can to some extent reflect how conservative or optimistic their marketing department is. Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The tire in question is not listed on TR even though TR sells a bunch of different Goodyear tires. TR sells Assurance MaxLife, but it's a different model and "This tire hasn't received enough consumer feedback to be rated."
Yes, I was aware that the Assurance Outlast was not specifically mentioned, but I thought the OP might be reassured by the Tire Rack listing of Goodyear Assurance as "one of the best" for long tread wear, in view of the low price he was quoted, I know that I would feel better about buying them if I were in the market, but I'm entirely happy with my Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season+ tires and I only drive 10,000 miles/year.

Robert N.

·
Banned
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,454 Posts
Long lasting tire means little if you get stuck in snow, or hydroplane off the road, or skid out of control....

Reasonable life of a tire is important, but the tire's performance parameters are the most important. I'll take traction over life/warranty any day.

With Toyota's undersized Avalon tires, if you are running 215/55/17's, try a 225/55/17... might last a little longer.

Goodyears have served me well over the years. Since the local Walmart doesn't roadforce balance, and I don't care for spin balancing, I won't go there for tires. You'll know in a year how well these 'Outlast' tires worked for you. Post an update.

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid, 2018 Prius Three, 2018 Prius Two, 2021 Tesla Y Long Range
562 Posts
I'm with Greasymechtech on this. Longer wearing might have 2 issues: much harder rubber as the tires are worn (loss of traction), and the potential for serious road noise.

I have experienced both issues after 40-50k miles on most tires.

As with most purchases, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
2019 Avalon Hybrid, 2018 Prius Three, 2018 Prius Two, 2021 Tesla Y Long Range
562 Posts
Another consideration when purchasing tires, and asking for "internet" advice, is your region. I'm certain my tire needs in the DFW region (heat, coarse aggregate concrete, concrete expansion cracks and thermal heaving) are totally different than my previous region (DC/No. VA, endless miles of seamless asphalt, city potholes).

Tire longevity between the two regions is very different.

All that said, OP: put your region in your signature so we know what region we're discussing.

·
PJSMITH
1,696 Posts
My philosophy had been to expect solid performance from car tires for three years and after that, they begin to get hard and sidewalls begin to crack. Most of this is based on a car that remains outside most of the life of the tires. If parked in a garage, then maybe stretch to 4 years.
In the past few years my tires dealer has been pushing literature that 6 years a tire is dead. They would not fill my spare with air because of liability of the deterioration of the rubber and the pressure my blow the spare tire. It was a compact spare and 65 PSI. Most regular tires in the 30-40 PSI should be safely inflated. They said that it would probably be safe but it tis the company policy.
I also found back 10 years of so, that all tires have a date manufactured on the sidewall. Some are a code, and some are the week and year of the manufacture.
Since I ride a large Motorcycle and depend on the tires more than a cars, it's critical for the rubber to hold when you only have two tires and use more of the tire. (Leaning into corners, etc.) After three years the tires start to get cracked on the sidewall and have to be replaced in my book.
I believe that the main line (Michelin/Bridgestone/BFG/Yokohama) have a minimum quality to the rubber mix they use on premium tires. They charge more for their tires for some reason, more than advertising budget. Their warranties are better than the lower grades. I worked in a tires manufacturing store that make custom tires and there are different grades / qualities of rubber.

I buy tires that I expect the 3 year miles to be below the warranty. About 30% over.
I drive 45/k in three years, I look for 60Warranty.

Price is important, but not #1. I had better tires that got hard as they wore down and at 4/32 they really just got louder and harder. Tires started at 7/32.
They were done for my purposes and I did get a prorated refund of a few dollars.

I have had tires on a older truck and didn't put many miles on. the tires still had 4/32 but were 7 years old and that had no refund when I went back to the tire store and they said they are out of warranty at 6 years. No matter the miles or remaining tread.

Do your research and think as you buy.

Reactions: robnich

·
JL
2016 Camry SE
1 Posts
Like the Outlast

I bought 4 Good Year Outlast for a 2016 Camry SE. 441$ OTD, installed in 45 minutes. I then drove 500 miles from up North to NYC. The tires were quiet, traction was great, and I drove at 85mph with no vibrations. They were much better than my Turanzas with 45k on them. ( Of Course). I see the Turanzas are 173$ for my Camry. I have no complaints yet. I'll see how they hold up in the rain and snow. They drive as well as the General Altimax I had installed in another car I own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.