Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing the timing belt on my 2004 Sequoia today. I lined up the marks on the cams and the crank. Put on the belt, checked the marks 3 more times and started reassembly. After the harmonic dampener was back on, I turned the engine over 2x by hand as prescribed. Checked timing marks again and the cams line up but crank is off by one tooth! UG!!!

The new tensioner is installed and the pin was pulled. Can I just remove the tensioner, correct timing and reinstall tensioner with the pin deployed or do I need a new tensioner?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
288 Posts
I was replacing the timing belt on my 2004 Sequoia today. I lined up the marks on the cams and the crank. Put on the belt, checked the marks 3 more times and started reassembly. After the harmonic dampener was back on, I turned the engine over 2x by hand as prescribed. Checked timing marks again and the cams line up but crank is off by one tooth! UG!!!

The new tensioner is installed and the pin was pulled. Can I just remove the tensioner, correct timing and reinstall tensioner with the pin deployed or do I need a new tensioner?
I’d say you probably need a new tensioner if the pin is already out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't follow your advice and hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I tried and failed to compress the tensioner with a C-clamp in an attempt to reinsert the pin. I just ended up reinstalling it in its extended state and tightened the bolts. The tensioner appears to have fully seated and looks properly aligned. The car is back together now and running nicely. I hope this doesn't put too much stress on the timing belt initially.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, I didn't follow your advice and hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I tried and failed to compress the tensioner with a C-clamp in an attempt to reinsert the pin. I just ended up reinstalling it in its extended state and tightened the bolts. The tensioner appears to have fully seated and looks properly aligned. The car is back together now and running nicely. I hope this doesn't put too much stress on the timing belt initially.
Well no predictions what it will do with it lol. But I wouldn’t of done it but I also couldn’t do that and get away with it at the dealership they watch everything we do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually glad to hear that...if I took my car to the dealership, I wouldn't want any shortcuts taken :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm actually glad to hear that...if I took my car to the dealership, I wouldn't want any shortcuts taken :)
Yeah lol I wouldn’t either and I don’t believe in taking short cuts either I believe in quality professional work.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,907 Posts
Even if you released the tensioner pin, Toyota has a procedure for recompressing it using a vice. Good you figured it out. On these engines if I screw up timing, I do it a little differently. Rather than remove the tensioner, I remove the upper timing belt idler pulley, set timing, and while pushing downward install the pulley. This basically works on all V6/V8 DOHC Toyotas where the belt forms a "Y" with the idler (1MZ/3MZ verfied but probably also 5VZFE even though tension is set differently).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Next time you could use a bench vise to compress the tensioner and put the pin back in. No need to buy a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts