Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked my 2021 Highlander platinum in white last week. I noticed that the color of my bumper does not match the color of the rest of the car. Is it PPF or was it repainted before I took delivery of it? How can I resolve this? My first time having this issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you not look at it before purchasing it? Make use of your warranty.
Yes I did and it looked fine initially I was today that I really stood out. I then saw this photo of when I took delivery and looked closely to see the difference

·
Registered
2020 RAV4xse hybrid 2020 Highlander Pl
537 Posts
I suggest bringing it to their attention and say you'll wait a month or so to see if it blends in.....Sound crazy?

I installed an OEM Blizzard White side molding on my Rav4 a 5 months ago according to the directions printed off by the dealer blurry 650 mm looked like 850 mm and I installed at the wrong angle. Lived with it for a while but eventually pi$$ed my off and I purchased another one. When I removed the molding there was a brighter white shadow where the old one was removed......happened under the side facing the Sun.....polishing compound had no effect.

After a little over a week in the bright Sun the whiter shadow (previously covered by the molding) actually gradually darkened/faded to exactly match the surrounding paint. Problem solved.

Just a guess but when I bough myy son'd Rav right off the car carrier, the hood and bumper areas were protected with an opaque protective film for transport. Didn't seem to matter with his Moon Rock color but White may be a different matter and Blizzard White is the same as regular white but with an extra layer of sparkle goop under the clear coat.Park the car facing the bright Sun foir a week or two and see if it makes a difference. Nothing to lose really.....might just work and the way to go facing the alternative of immediately respraying the bumper with acrylic and losing the specially formulated flexible factory finish.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'd be inclined to leave it and hope the paint color will weather in over tIme. I usually don't like to mess with the original factory paint and clearcoat. Repainting is always never as good as original imo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd be inclined to leave it and hope the paint color will weather in over tIme. I usually don't like to mess with the original factory paint and clearcoat. Repainting is always never as good as original imo.
some colors show worse than others ,if you look close at other car brands the plastic bumper covers are all a little different color tones than metal.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
some colors show worse than others ,if you look close at other car brands the plastic bumper covers are all a little different color tones than metal.
I understand. I've observed this phenomenon in all my previous vehicles. I accept that there will be a very slight color mismatch due to dissimilar base materials. It's not a perfect science and for me it's good enough. Heck, my body side mouldings don't match at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is an issue with white vehicles from other manufacturers as well. For some reason the white paint differs in color depending if it's on metal or plastic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
could it be paint protection film?

Reactions: digdex

·
Registered
104 Posts
Plastics are finished by the manufacturer. Paint by Toyota. I was looking at a line of Camry’s and Highlanders at a dealer in SC. Not one had matching paint and plastics

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,056 Posts
I am fairly sure my front upper valance in front of the hood was repainted. I see and feel a tape line. Repainting would likely make it worse.

When metallics are applied you have to use a certain technique to get the metal flake to lay right / even. Painted off the car, they tend not to match.

The whites especially like to fade. Like others have said. Wait a while.

It pisses me off that they touch them up at the port or at distribution because they do not always do a great job and I have seen weird things happen years later.

What you gonna do????

·
Registered
559 Posts
I had the Blizzard Pearl on my 2019 and over a few months I noticed that the bumper was a very slight different shade then the other parts of the car, but I really had to look at it at a certain angle with just the right amount of light.
It really wasn’t bad enough to raise a fuss about, and I too worried the a repaint would only make it worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bumpers and other plastic trim will never match, some colors are more noticeable than others, this is due to how different substrates absorb color, plastics vs metals and is actually pretty normal, if you go to any car lot and start paying attention to color match you will see that on just about every car out there to a certain degree.
Also keep in mind that when vehicles are build the body and trim is not painted at the same time or even at the same facility for the most part.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My tundra 2020 (super white) and my Highlander 2021 (blizzard pearl) both have non-matching bumper/body panel paint. I have owned several -2010/2011/2016/2017 f150's and 2008/2013/2020 tundra's and 2003/2007/2014/ Camry's all white and none matched. I thought about repainting a few times but guarantee the repaint will never be as good as the factory. I would just live with it. Just my opinion

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
502 Posts
This could be because they may paint the bumper separately from the vehicle and something in process they they doesn't properly paint the bumpers to match. If it bothers you that much call Toyota and ask them to repaint the vehicle as white painted vehicles are almost impossible to color match.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
You definitely don't want the entire vehicle repainted. It will never be right after that. Plus, that may not solve the problem; as people have mentioned the same paint on plastic may not look the same as it does on metal.

I'd suggest taking the car to the dealer and compare it to other white Highlanders. If your bumper is noticeably a different shade of white from the other new ones, implying that the paint was just off the day they made your bumper, I'd ask about having the bumper swapped out for another one.

Otherwise, I'd let it go and let the sun work on everything over time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts