Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Salvage96TercelRebuild
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on YouTube and was watching some Eric The Car Guy, when I got into the comments and ended up making quite a long winded argument regarding why its better to own a POS than a new car. I figured I spent all that time, and everyone in the Tercel section owns a "POS" (based off standards in our American culture) I figured I would share it with you all.

Don't let people who own new cars make you feel bad. They are idiots. And this is why:

MY ORIGINAL POST:
"I bought my 1996 Toyota Tercel for $500. The previous owner (my old boss) wrecked it. I put it back together (enough) and I've been driving it for like 4 years. I replaced the battery, starter, and the wiring to and from the aforementioned. It starts every time, and it has never left me stranded. The body looks horrible, but here is what I can do that you new car owners cant/shouldn't/won't do...

Do you live in a city and use parking garages every day? If there is no attendant, as is the case at the parking garage I use - I just pull up to the barrier arm, slowly pull forward until it is close enough to reach out and grab, then I just push it up and keep pulling forward. Once it is on the roof, I just let it drag down the back of the car... lol If you do the math... 5 days a week @ $5.. 52 weeks.. $1300 a year. Um yeah.. car paid for almost three times just over the coarse of 1 year. (Don't give me any shit about "stealing" parking.. IDGAF if you lilke it or not. Get a POS and you won't have to pay either)

You ever get home from work on trash day and your empty trash cans are blocking you from getting the mail??? Well I don't have that problem, I just bump them out of the way...

Ever follow a buddy with another POS? I like to give him a little bumpercar-like "nudge" at a stop light. Its always hilarious. Sometimes they do it back, in reverse... Its all fair in love and war, right?

Another trash can related activity... Have that friend who likes to joke around all the time and be a "jackass"? If its trash NIGHT, its always fun to back into a full trash can and spill their garbage all over the yard. Talk about laughing till you cry ALL THE WAY HOME. You won't be doing that at my house in your 2013 Dodge Charger.. I'll bet on that.

Its the 4th of July, guess where I light fireworks off of? That right,,, The roof.. Its already scratched to hell, so whats a little charring gonna hurt on a black car? FREE scratch filler! lol

Did I mention my car insurance is $26 a month? My yearly taxes are like $21 (Thats like $.90 or so a month!) Which just happens to be the cheapest possible amount you can pay legally in my state. (You may have to contest the value of your car at your local tax department - they employ adjusters to reassess value based on condition)

And since its a Toyota, it goes forever..

If you "need" a pretty, new car that's all flashy, you probably have some SERIOUS SELF ESTEEM ISSUES... You are NOT all the CRAP you OWN. You don't get to take ANY of your useless shit with you when you die.. So don't OVERVALUE your stupid possessions... they end up OWNING YOU!

But as long as you EGOMANIACS continue putting all this "WORTH" into owning a nice car, in the end its GREAT for me, because I work for a repossession agency, so as long as you IDIOTS keep buying shit you can't afford, I am laughing my ass off all the way to the bank DRIVING my 1996 Tercel, cause WE JUST LEFT YOUR ASS WALKING!

Suck on that!

·
Salvage96TercelRebuild
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would LIKE to have a newER car.. don't get me wrong.. its nice to have nice things.. I just don't think it is a "NEED". I think its is a much wiser financial decision to buy a pre-owned car..

I mean, I guess if you make $200,000 a year.. maybe buying a new car isn't that big of a waste to you.

That being said.. just from my experience in the repo business (repos happen WAY MORE than I ever realized) I have learned that some people are just making foolish decisions without really understanding how much money they are wasting.. then their credit is ruined, they are out of a car, and all the payments they made were for NOTHING.

Many times when people do stupid things its because they made a decision based on emotions instead of logic. If you are making emotional decisions to buy something you cant afford, there is a problem.

During my international travels from 2005-2006 I noticed that most (if not all) of the Europeans I met have no problem living within their means. I cannot say how many times I heard a European person say "well, FOR ME (insert anything you might be talking about) this works fine" The culture is just different.

SO this is my theory... I think this is kind of an American thing.. the whole 'trying to one up the next guy' mentality. I think it comes from our media.. like MTV videos of people driving Lambos and wearing $100,000 watches. I think it kind of implies that this is a STANDARD to strive for. I think it is a sickness of vanity and simply egomaniacal. Instead of worrying about living within our means, it seems most of us only care how much "cred" we have, or think it is more important to keep up appearances - at our own detriment. It just doesn't make sense to me.. I don't think like that.

Maybe I am way off.. maybe this is all irrelevant. Hell I don't know. But it is something that I think about form time to time, and it makes me worried for the future of our kids.

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
I have a 1995 vehicle....Do I have the need to own a new car? No. One thing though, I like to take care of my stuff and that includes my 19 year old car.
The year isn't what makes a p.o.s. Mine is a 92 Paseo that has been wrecked and since has been hoodless. The engine leaks oil due to excessive miles. The suspension is worn out along with the brakes and wheel bearings. The wipers work when you find the spot they like. The radio doesn't play the a/c doesn't cool and the cruise doesn't do jack. During cold weather the clutch switch doesn't want to engage the starter.

But the p.o.s. takes me to work, and the grocery store and pretty much anywhere I want to go. Why not repair it? Not into fixing wrecked cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.