Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a minor accident about a month ago, and my exhaust was slightly pushed in (rear-ended). The shop told me they "pulled" it back out and that it would be working fine.

I'm satisfied with the overall body work, but there are a few things that bug me now:
1) the car seems to idle louder than it used to. I'd say that there's a low grumble coming from the car that wasn't there before. From what I can hear, it emmanates from the front of the car, just under the engine (flex-pipe?).
2) I'm smelling more exhaust fumes in the cabin than before, especially when sitting in one place for even a few seconds (e.g. traffic lights). The tailpipe doesn't seem to be plugged, and I don't think that the exhaust is cracked anywhere upstream from the muffler (I haven't checked yet).
3) cosmetic detail: my stock muffler tips were bent/broken, and now replaced with some ugly piping from Crappy Tire. I hate it. Anyone out there have access to a junkyard where they can get two muffler tips from a '93 V6 Camry?

You can tell me I'm just being anal about details or whatever....I don't care. But if you're gonna do that, at least put in a few helpful suggestions ;) I can live with the louder idle, but I'd prefer to get the exhaust fumes issue fixed ASAP, as carbon monoxide IS a lethal gas.

Thx in advance,

Redline

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
You're going to have to go under it and check every inch. Also, make sure tailpipe(s) clears past the outside of the car. If not then when you stop the exhaust can drift up into the cabin.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,073 Posts
On the drivers side rear fender in the trunk , there is a cabin vent hole, with a rubber flap that is supposed to keep outside air out, but air through the heating/ cooling system can exit the car. It may have been stuck/ warped/ frozen? even.

Check that too.

Other than that, check the flex coupling... they are usually corroded at this age, and can start leaking, especially after being pushed and pulled beyond normal movement.

·
Sleeper-still sleeping
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ and ^^

thx for the replies. Sure hope it isn't the flex coupling :( I'll check out those suggestions in a couple days :)

Any other ideas? C'mon, the Camry forum is the largest one on TN....SOMEONE has to have had a problem similar to this. Also, still looking for the muffler tips.

Redline

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.