Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a ticket in my new corolla tonight. And it had to happen after I was enjoying bringing a girl in my class home. WHat a good way to ruin a nice drive home.

heres the story- Brought her home, got on a local road I take home (not a lot of traffic). I was coasting down a hill (always have) then let my car slow down ( I mean everyone coasts down a hill so your 10 over for a few seconds big deal right). Got me 51 in a 35 (always slow down after done coasting down hill). I told him my stepdad said its ok to coast down a hill then slow back down after, he said argue it in court, he also said there have been a lot of people hit where I was driving through... But he was a nice guy. Its funny how I never had a problem before until tonight. I have a few questions I need answered...

1. Is it ok to go 5 over speed limit (coasting down hill, driving on highway) I always have without a problem. But now im scared too after getting a ticket.

2. There is a number on my ticket- do I call this number to find out how to pay in mail and not have to go to court.

3, Will this increase my insurance rate and points on license (Double fine speeding before I moved down here in NY 3-4 yrs ago) didnt affect anything then as far as I know.

ANd im not being a pussy and saying I didnt do anything wrong, I take full responsibility for my actions and want to learn from this mistake.
 

·
The Greatest
Joined
·
3,830 Posts
ToyotaMan1281 said:
Is it ok to go 5 over speed limit (coasting down hill, driving on highway) I always have without a problem. But now im scared too after getting a ticket.
I think so.
But I heard some states upped the limit by 5 and if you're over by 1, they can get you....
 

·
Registered
Toyota Camry 94
Joined
·
733 Posts
Most cops won't bother unless you are 5-8mph over, but there arent any rules about that. Speeding is just that.

To pay, you can just go to the courthouse. Call first to see what forms of payment they accept.

Sometimes even just one ticket can raise your rates. You might want to see if there is a traffic safety program, where you can go on supervision instead.

The fastest, easiest, and most expensive way is to call a lawyer. Normally costs around $200, plus $100 or more in court costs. You don't have to go to court, and it doesn't end up on your record as a moving violation.

Bear in mind that the safety program or traffic school option usually puts you on probation for 12 months. In my state, if you get another ticket during that time, you end up with the original ticket too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
811 Posts
a rule that a cop in my area told me and i go by it mosly is 9 youre fine, 10 your mine
 

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
Joined
·
13,302 Posts
swegyptian said:
Most cops won't bother unless you are 5-8mph over, but there arent any rules about that. Speeding is just that.

To pay, you can just go to the courthouse. Call first to see what forms of payment they accept.

Sometimes even just one ticket can raise your rates. You might want to see if there is a traffic safety program, where you can go on supervision instead.

The fastest, easiest, and most expensive way is to call a lawyer. Normally costs around $200, plus $100 or more in court costs. You don't have to go to court, and it doesn't end up on your record as a moving violation.

Bear in mind that the safety program or traffic school option usually puts you on probation for 12 months. In my state, if you get another ticket during that time, you end up with the original ticket too.


yeahhhhh.....and that doesn't always work....though usually at the very least they can usually negotiate you down to no points, but it'll still be a moving violation

:cursin: the one time I paid paralegal to take my case, all he did was get the judge to drop the points by dropping it from 20 over to 10 over....I could have done that myself by taking the plea option at the beginning of the trial
 

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To pay, you can just go to the courthouse. Call first to see what forms of payment they accept.


I can mail it in too, right?
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
^Yes. My dad did that when he got a speeding ticket.
 

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
Joined
·
7,764 Posts
Here in the California. It's okay for you to speed 5 mph over the the actual limit, BUT, if the CHP, California Highway Patrol, (California's equivalent to "State Trooper" elsewhere) is traveling over 70-75 mphs, don't pass'em. They're purposely speeding 5-10 mph over the limit so that if someone stupid enough goes past him, he gets him easily. That's why you see a large group of traffic going 65-70 mph whenever there's a CHP in front of them. It's really funny to see though, no ones passing each other.
 

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ funny!

When he gave me the ticket he said wait 10 days to call about it, how come?
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
^Its usually not registered into the system right away. 10 days is a good time to wait for it to register and be in the computer.
 

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
you can pay them by mail, but they usually dont take personal checks, only money orders. i have a little experience getting tickets - ive gotten 5 speeding tickets, 1 right turn on red, 1 license plate viotation, and 1 window tint too dark (and i just turned 28!). if you go into court, odds are they will knock down the ticket to a lesser fine but you will have to go to the court hearing. if you pay the fine, then you dont have to go to court. insurance tends not to care about just one ticket, but if you get another "major ticket" or two, then they will.

in ohio (im sure every state is different) you can take the traffic school program to drop 2 points, but you can only do this once. so with just one ticket, i wouldnt bother.

oh, and dont try the myth of overpaying the fine and not cashing the refund check - it doesnt work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
If this is your first violation of any kind, DON'T mail in payment for the ticket. Go to court and speak to the district attorney. Here in NC, first time offenders get a pjc (prayer for judgement call). You get no points and pay only court cost but if you get caught speeding again in the next 12 months, you eat both tickets.
 

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
insurance tends not to care about just one ticket, but if you get another "major ticket" or two, then they will.

got one up in NY 3-4 yrs ago, double fine- work zone- will it affect me here?? ANd if I mail it in will I get something back in the mail?? Cant let parents find out, lol...
 

·
Noob :-)
ST185 & MCV20
Joined
·
507 Posts
You only mail the ticket in if it specifies how much the fine is.
If it doesn't say how much the fine is, you will have to show up in the court.
The best way is to call the DA (wait 10 days like he said so it'll show up in the system)
 

·
Freshness
2005 Corolla S
Joined
·
276 Posts
damn... that sucks. I got a ticket the first day after i got my new car... :thumbdown: I think it was the exact same speed as you, 51 in a 35 zone.


I've used the lawyers pretty much every time, and it doesn't cost me more than $50-75... that's crazy they're $100-200 in IL, screw that.. only got a court cost once, for about $89.

Good luck.. hope they're easy on you..
 

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
eh I asked him about mailing it in, told him I have studies I cant make court at 9aam i get home from class late lol he said call to find out how to mail it in.. so apparently I can mial it in lol but it doesnt say how much to pay thats why he said call... just needed ur guys input to make sure im doing everything right and needed questions answered
 

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trace said:
damn... that sucks. I got a ticket the first day after i got my new car... :thumbdown: I think it was the exact same speed as you, 51 in a 35 zone.


I've used the lawyers pretty much every time, and it doesn't cost me more than $50-75... that's crazy they're $100-200 in IL, screw that.. only got a court cost once, for about $89.

Good luck.. hope they're easy on you..

thank you. Corollas ride so damn smooth sometimes you dont know how fast ur going, I mean I can think im doing 55 when im going 70 lol... Since the other night im checking my sped a lot more often lol.. but I do like the comfy ride...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top