Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 85 PU was getting to hot without running the heater on high at all times. Tried everything except a new timing belt and water pump. Let my freind drive it and he ran it without the heater and and had triple AAA tow it home to me. It stiill turns over but won't start. Where do I begin to troubleshoot. Blew thr radiator hose when it shut down on him. How do i get to the belt? where is that belt? Can someone please reply! I am used to Fords and Chevy's but I love my little truck! 22R 2366cc 2WD...Thanks

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
490 Posts
Your 22R has a timing chain, not a belt. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. I would expect the problem to be mechanical, not electrical or fuel related. I guess I'd make sure the electrical and mechanical timing were correct, and the compression was reasonable. Overheating frequently causes cracked heads, but that wouldn't necessarily prevent starting.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how to get to timing chain?

I don't have a manual on this rig is there anything I would need to know about replacing the chain or water pump? is there any kind of of detail that i would need to pay special attention to?

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
490 Posts
Before you replace the chain, you should be sure it is causing your problem. Checking the timing should tell you if it has jumped. Replacing the water pump is easy. Water pumps usually fail by leaking. It is not very likely that they will stop pumping. I would get it running before pursuing the overheating thing. BTW, if you intend to keep the truck and are handy with tools, you will find a factory shop manual very useful. The aftermarket manuals are ok, but not as thorough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
manual

i have a manual on every other vehicle i own and just recently aquired the toyota where can i get a shop manual for cheap?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Check your PMs for a source. You might find one on e-bay, amazon.com, or ?? also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts