Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, after shit sliding EVERYWHERE in my bed, i got the bed mat that everyone loves so much. And i have to agree this is the best! I searched and saw some threads on securing it so no dumbass will steal it. But i was thinking of doing it a tad simpler.

Most trucks i see have just 2 drain holes in the front of the bed. Ours have three. One in the middle. Was thinking about just finding a bolt that is the same size as the hole and bolting the bed mat to the bed in just that one location. That way i can still lift it up if i need to clean under it, and if someone were to try and steal it, it would be a pain in the ass. If they tried hard enough to rip the mat off the bolt, well then they get a mat with a tear in it. Better than getting a good one, since there were there to steal it anyway! The mat seems super strong, i dont see it ripping.

Think that would work? I was even thinking about finding like a hollow metal plug to insert into the hole i put in the bed mat so stop it from ripping if someone really tried that hard. I know i have seen them before. Its like a metal insert, that would go into the hole i put in the bed mat, then the bolt would go through that.

Its way cold to do this now though. I will wait for a semi warm weekend.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Instead of drilling a hole you could burn a hole in it, which would sort of cauterize the hole and keep it from ripping. You could use a torch to heat up an old screw driver or something like that and push it into the rubber to burn the hole.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Im not really sure if thats any more simple. keep your drain holes they tend to clog up easy, so the more the better. Plus it wouldnt be near as stong. Then again I dont do anything for mine. It just sits in there....

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I like to be able to take my mat out when hauling mulch or heavy stuff I want to slide out of the bed rather than lift it. So I don't recommend a "permanent" mount of any sort.

You could always do the extra D-Rings mod and use those to lock it down. Bike U-Lock, or a chain and padlocks through the holes cut for extra D-Rings.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Nobody ever messed with my bedmat before I got the camper shell. Do you live in an area where somebody would steal a bedmat? That's rediculous.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Well i like the idea about the bolt, but i wouldnt like having to unscrew it and get it off. What you could do is put the hole in the mat like you said and find something like a clip. So when you push it through the hole on the mat then the bed, it clips and stays there. It would then hold it in place and be easy to get out, just pull up, and there ya go!

EDIT: i dont know of one of those clips but im sure something like that is made. does anyone know of anything like that?

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
If you used a clip, then wouldn't that eliminate the security? Anybody can remove a clip.

YOu could put a bolt and nut through the bed, then put the hole in the mat through the long threads of the bolt. Then use a nylon insert (nylock) nut on top of the mat. The first nut would hold the bolt to the bed. The 2nd nut would hold the mat to the bolt. And with a nylock nut the theif would have to be carrying a wrench with him. It's hard to loosen a nylock nut by hand.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Woops!:lol: I misread the post. I thought it was because it was moving around or something. Im an idiot sry!:headbang:

·
Registered
05 Tacoma DC
319 Posts
Pb said:
Sounds like a good plan. Instead of drilling a hole you could burn a hole in it, which would sort of cauterize the hole and keep it from ripping. You could use a torch to heat up an old screw driver or something like that and push it into the rubber to burn the hole.
I haven't worried about my being taken. It's heavy and unless someone pulls up in another truck they're not going to walk down the street with it. If you're going to burn a hole or cut a hole in it I would reinforce it with a tarp gromet though because I'm sure once the integrity is compromised it's going to tear big time.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Just get an alarm, and put a door pin switch on your tailgate. Or a proximity sensor near the rear glass of the cab.

Or don't worry about it, and take a chance. My OEM bedmat was only $57. It's not a huge loss if it gets stolen.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
j4x4ar3 said:
I haven't worried about my being taken. It's heavy and unless someone pulls up in another truck they're not going to walk down the street with it. If you're going to burn a hole or cut a hole in it I would reinforce it with a tarp gromet though because I'm sure once the integrity is compromised it's going to tear big time.

The mat is actually very tough. It's made sort of like a tire with nylon(?) threads through it. I noticed those when I cut the holes in mine for the extra D rings. I doubt this sucker will tear easily. Unless you know someone that can rip a tire in half by hand! :lol:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pb said:
Just get an alarm, and put a door pin switch on your tailgate. Or a proximity sensor near the rear glass of the cab.

Or don't worry about it, and take a chance. My OEM bedmat was only $57. It's not a huge loss if it gets stolen.
Hey Pb
Where can you get the OEM bed mat for $57????

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
PiercedTiger said:
I like to be able to take my mat out when hauling mulch or heavy stuff I want to slide out of the bed rather than lift it. So I don't recommend a "permanent" mount of any sort.

You could always do the extra D-Rings mod and use those to lock it down. Bike U-Lock, or a chain and padlocks through the holes cut for extra D-Rings.
I was going to suggest an idea like Tiger. If you have D-rings up front, you have to cut a slot or something for them anyway, mine is cut so that the D-ring is spun toward the center of the truck and the ring sticks up through the mat. (Actually they're normally folded under the mat until I need them.) If you do that you could slide a hitch receiver lock through it, maybe with a couple big washers on it so you couldn't slide it through the D-ring. Easy to undo for cleaning.

OTOH, I feel like most others here, locking is a pretty modest deterrent. A dedicated thief just has to use a pocketknife to slit the mat, and a less dedicated one won't want to maneuver a heavy and ungainly item.

·
Lady in Red
1,515 Posts
I got my bedmat at my dealer for about $60 too. We play a little game at my parts department, whatever price they give me I smile and say ummmm can you go any lower on that, I can get it at another dealer for a lot less but I'd like to pick it up right now. He then checks again and of course comes in at least 20% lower. :)

I also get coupons in the mail all the time from my local dealers for % off parts and service so if you don't think you can sweet talk your parts guy you should be able to get some of those discounts. Make friends with the parts guy and he will recognize you when you come in and give you good prices. They even carried it out to my truck and unrolled it into the bed for me!! :thumbsup:

·
I Drink your Milkshake
810 Posts
These bed mats are one of the best additions to this truck!

I really like your plan for securing it, but I would definately use some type of liner grommet in the hole.

My current secuity consists of a bed cover to keep it out of site and a 300lb waterbag sitting on top of it and a lock on the tailgate. If somebody is willing to break the lock, rip the tonneau, and empty 300lb of water in 20 degree weather, they can have my bed mat.

·
Just duct tape it!
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
thanks for all the suggestions. I didnt think about something very heavy and not being able to slide it in because the bed mat is bolted. Although!... since it is just one bolt up front, i could just roll the mat up. If someone is gonna take the time to cut the mat away from the bolt, then oh well. They were there to take it anyway. This way it could deter them enough for them to say "forget it" or enough for me to be sticking my Benelli out the front door! :D

i am a bit worried about thieves here. Very small town. Someone has already stole a package off my front porch. I told them i wanted it to be signed for and if I wasnt there i will pick it up at the post office. They of course leave it on the porch and someone steels it. I also caught two kids trying to take off with my basketball hoop! My neighbor caught some other kids trying to take something off my porch area. Some punks ran around spraypainting the stop signs, guys truck across the street from me, side of the townhouse facing the police station saying "187 on a SC Cop", spraypainted "Blood" all over the road, ect. I think its all from the same little group of kids. I dont trust em. :ugh3: They need their heads knocked in, and id be glad to help if I caught them. I just put in a motion light on my house, so hopefully that helps keep them away from my truck.

Anyway, i think thats how i will do it. Like PB said, i will melt a hole (thanks) and i will find something like an insert or tarp thing like stated above. That would provide an enough deterent i think. At least make it harder for them.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Never clean your bed. Keep lots dirt, mud, woodchips whatever back there, then no one will want to touch it. That, or paint "POOP" on your mat. No one would want to carry a heavy mat w/ that written on it.

Actually why take the mat, when you can take the lighter and easier to carry tailgate? Several hunderd to replace that. Might want to check into locks in that neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts