Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I gotta let off a little steam. I picked up my '09 double cab sport in Silver Streak on March 17. The lease was about up on my FJ and I needed a truck again. I was happy with the deal I got since my dad financed me at 4 % (his money market is down, so its a good deal for him too.) The day I drove it off the lot, the a/c didn't work. The fan was blowing but the compressor wasn't coming on. I dorve it around about 30 mins and went right back in. The salesman tried to tell me i didnt have the settings right, that I needed to make sure that the a/c button was on. After he fiddled with the buttons for tenminutes, I showed him that you have to turn the therm knob up slightly to get the a/c buttom to be able to toggle on off. He quickly realized that I knkew how to work the a/c system better than he did and declared that something was wrong. They took it back, found some part behind the glove box that was cracked (they said probably during the factory install) and replaced it. Compressor kicked on and worked fine. Two days later, no a/c again. I called and headed down there the next mroning, but hwne I got there, it was working fine. They kept it all day and couldn't get it to quit, so i picked it back up. That was Thursday. I had a business trip Friday and Saturday. Got back Sunday. That afternoon, no a/c. Monday, working. Everything was fine till Thursday. My wife was headed to Lowes to get some plants and called me, no a/c. I told her to go straight to the dealer and leave it running. That was the 26th. They have had it since then. We talk everyday, and they really seem to be standing around scratching their heads. Yesterday they finally told me they have the problem figured out, a mister valve or something. But they have to outsource the part, and wont have it done till next week. They have given me a loaner car, so that is good. My frustration is not with my dealer. They have been very responsive and want to make things right. I am just pissed that I bought a beautiful new Tacoma three weeks ago and have driven the loaner carolla more than my truck.

Before I leave the dealer next week, we are going to talk about what happens if the a/c quits again. It may be lemon law time.

And before you blast me for using the a/c in march, I live in texas and it is already into the 80's here. And if it doesn't get fixed now, June and July could be pretty unbareable.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That sucks,what a pain,but in every apple tree there is at least one with a worm in it.Just be glad your dealer is trying to make it right instead of giving you the brush off.Hang in there until your satisfied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, considering that in my immediate family, we have owned 14 toyotas, everything from a celica to a sequoia, and this is the first one that we have had problems with. I guess we were due.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just sent an email to the sales manager asking what happens if this part doesn't fix the problem. I asked at what point do we move on toa new truck. I'll see what his response is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope i dont have to go the lemon law route. I really want the fix to work and be done with this. Still no word form the manager yet.

·
NorCal Tacoma
05 Black Dbl Cab
378 Posts
Hope everything works out for you. Atleast it wasn't something faulty in the suspension or something though

·
Registered
766 Posts
The Quality Control on these trucks seems to have slipped, but most dealerships still have enough goodwill right after the purchase to fix most problems to your satisfaction (and hold off any lemon law returns). My windshield squealed above 60MPH and it took me 4 trips to get it fixed, but no major problems since. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
that totally sux. hope they get it fixed for you.

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got an email response. He said the tech really thinks they have it this time, but they said that last time. He said if it happens again, that will be three docmented times for the same part, or if they have the truck for 28 days without being able to fix it, then we go lemon law. I just want it fixed. Good thing is I didnt have it long enough to mod a bunch of stuff. I was looking hard at moving forward on some 5100's too. I think I'll wait to make sure we have everything squared away fisrt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A quick update. Still no truck. The new part is supposed to be in today or tomorrow. Well today is over, so hoping they come through tomorrow. The frustration is growing. Maybe I'll just start hanging out in the corolla forum.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
Colorado Kool Aid???:spit:In Pittsburgh we call that stuff GIRLS Light...LOL.

Sucks about the A/C issue, how frustrating that must be. I hope they get it resolved for you! Sounds like a poke and hope situation. I had a friend who went Lemon Law on a Monte Carlo, that was no picnic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I've never known anyone that had to pull the lemon law. I just want my truck fixed. I hope that they do have the problem pegged and the new part willl get it straightened out. But I am getting a little dejected. They have told me twice that they had it pegged, put in the new part, and still no worky. I guess i"ll sit by the phone and wait for the call. I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update. Got my truck back Saturday morning. The ac works, for now. Of course it is now in the upper 60"s, so I may have to wait till it warms up to test it. The tech said it was a thermister valve, it opens and closes depending on the interior temp to keep the compressor from freezing over. It was screwing up and shutting the compressor off even whne the temp was fine. When I got home from the dealer, i noticed a small scratch in the plastic below the ac controls. It looks like they used a screw driver to pry off the plastic peice. So I started looking around. There are a couple of scratches in the piece that surrounds the vent just to the left of the radio. This one is more noticable because the piece is silver and where it is scratched is black. There a two long scratches in the lower door panel on the passenger side as well. All of them are fairly small and exctly like what will happen through normal wear and tear, but I didnt put them there. And the fact that I have owned this truck for about a month now and driven it for five days makes it sting a little more. I contacted the dealer and he told me that he would talk to the service manager and they would contact me Monday to see what they had to do fix it. Should be simple, they just have to order those three parts and install them. I was very patient with them through this whole ordeal, and I dont think that I should have to accept my brand new truck back in this condition. I am going to go out and go over the whole interior and take some pics. I'll post them later.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts