Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the current members that purchased the 2019/2020 hatchbacks, who will be trading up to the GR Corolla? Just curious to know.

Edit : am considering purchasing a new Corolla this winter or spring 2021. But without pricing info from Toyota, only can assume dealer markup. This would bring the cost into the Camry le/se price. Hopefully not.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
176 Posts
Only if it's rear wheel bias awd. Price probably be close to type r territory.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
This would bring the cost into the Camry le/se price. Hopefully not.
I wouldn’t hold my breath expecting a bargain because it’s Corolla, especially as it will be some kind of “halo” version for marketing purpose. A Corolla XSE already cost more than a base Camry. Some consumer are fine with paying more because they want equipment, not base.Same for performance. A Civic Si – even more for R – is already well in Accord territory. Just a different market.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback XSE
176 Posts
This is true. I heard there is delivery delays. Likely won't arrive until November/December. Anyone confirm this?
You are making it sound like we are really getting this soon. IMO, summer of 2021.

·
Registered
475 Posts
It’ll be a while. Unless it’s REALLY good and I’m in a much better financial situation, not a chance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Of the current members that purchased the 2019/2020 hatchbacks, who will be trading up to the GR Corolla? Just curious to know.
I would be very interested, but that really depends on what Toyota actually offers. Assuming the Corolla HB with the GR Turbo 3 and upgraded suspensions are part of base package, coming with AWD with 6MT would be a major draw card for me. Think of the market space as a Golf GTI with AWD, or the WRX (non STi) with a hatch.

Pricewise, it will not be a bargain, and I don’t expect it to be. Toyota is not likely to price itself out of the market either, the price will be competitive. People who are interested in the GR won’t be cross shopping a Camry, so price comparison with Camry is just a mental exercise. I don’t have any information on when it is coming. With the uncertainty of Covid, I would think planning for 2022 is better time to introduce such product.

·
Administrator
カローラxrs
12,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on the articles, supposedly there's 2 HP packages. The bigger one is 275hp. I am not expecting a higher cost unless they do a launch edition like the supra.

This is my prediction. If MSRP is roughly $36k USD, I expect markup to be around $45k. Steep as it is, it's the first awd since All-Trac and manual. Early adopters?

·
Registered
545 Posts
At $45k, the pricing is in the Golf R and STi territory, and both VW and Subaru are coming out with a new model with 400 HP each. The 275HP GR will be competing with some heavy hitters. Sounds like a hard sell. If the dealers mark them up due to new product and high demand, I don't need to have the newest and latest sitting on my driveway, I can wait.

·
straight cash homie
21,399 Posts
So we reached 2021, and nothing has been said about a Corolla GR yet for 2022...perhaps Toyota is so enamored with Corolla Apex sales...I got to see one at the dealer. Sorry, but the interior is straight from the L/LE model in light gray. AFAIK, all the Apexs are made at TMMMS, and not coming from Japan probably because of the suspension bits that it gets that aren't made there.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sadly, based on the media atm, Yaris GR will only be sold in Europe and Australia. Corolla GR in Europe is the same as NA's Apex :\ Still no word if hatchback GR will be made with Yaris' powertrain and where it will be sold...

·
Registered
37 Posts

Edit : am considering purchasing a new Corolla this winter or spring 2021. But without pricing info from Toyota, only can assume dealer markup. This would bring the cost into the Camry le/se price. Hopefully not.
Before you cross the issue of price, you'd have to address availability. In November of 2020, no dealership in the Cleveland metro area, essentially northeastern Ohio had a manual Corolla SE. That's just a regular poverty spec hatch, and I ended up ordering from several hundred miles away.

If a Corolla GR were worth having, I can't imagine supply would permit much price flexibility.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
687 Posts
Before you cross the issue of price, you'd have to address availability. In November of 2020, no dealership in the Cleveland metro area, essentially northeastern Ohio had a manual Corolla SE. That's just a regular poverty spec hatch, and I ended up ordering from several hundred miles away.

If a Corolla GR were worth having, I can't imagine supply would permit much price flexibility.
The manuals are offered but so hard to get i couldn't geta 20 or 21 manual hatch or sedan for 6 months..

·
Registered
37 Posts
The manuals are offered but so hard to get i couldn't geta 20 or 21 manual hatch or sedan for 6 months..
The reason for this remains mysterious to me.

Honda doesn't have a real hatch, and the Civic hatch is big and ugly.

VW is ceasing import of its regular Golf, and that car is getting an all touch screen dash that is loathed by many who review it.

Mini still makes a hatch, but BMW isn't exactly the first, last and only word in reliability and care free ownership.

Ford doesn't import the Focus hatch.

Mazda decided that the 3 hatch should be a stubby luxury car.

Toyota could really dominate this part of the market (less expensive manual hatch), and should be able to appeal to younger drivers who may be less adept at driving manuals just because the Corolla manual is so benign. Instead, Toyota treats its affordable hatch like Willy Wonka's golden tickets.

Toyota's niche seems to be proven technology that isn't quite current, but that allows good reliability. That's exactly what a manual transmission in a cheap car is. They should embrace it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The reason for this remains mysterious to me.
Likewise, I often wonder who decides how many of each trim of which model go to which dealer? And then there is the choice of colors on top of that. It can be a very complex guessing game to try to predict how many of each trim and model will be sold where for the coming year. I cannot imagine the manufacturer would dictate the allocations. So, do the dealers make requests on what cars they want and the manufacturer would try to fulfill the requests? May be somebody knows the car industry can charm in.

Multiple members here have indicated they had difficulty buying a MT Corolla. Does this mean the dealers are not asking for them? Or is Toyota not supplying them?

1 - 20 of 208 Posts