Toyota Nation Forum banner

Grainding noise on cold start up

25559 Views 40 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  ecenter
Cold start up Grinding noise

Hello guys.
I start noticing a weird noise upon cold start up. It sounds like something is grinding. First goes starter sound and then engine noise together with this grinding noise. Grinding noise goes away withing sec. or so. It is not really loud, but it definitely not engine or starter sound.
It happens only on cold starts when engine is completely cold.
If I start engine, let it run for few minutes, shut it down and restart again, it starts without grinding noise.
Don't remember if car was doing it from beginning, never turned car while I was outside. Few weeks ago when temperature dropped below freezing point, I turned ignition through passenger door to warm up the engine.
After that I begun listening every start up. Every start up same noise. Every morning and every time after work I hear this noise.
No noise if car been driven recently or engine is still warm.
Do you hear anything?

not my car, but sound is identical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZK3jEwMZoRc
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· BeerSteakTxas
11,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly the Tumble Valve System..

The 2.5L AR engine has them and they're mainly used during cold starts..
never heard about TVS before. here is what wiki says about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine
New tumble control valves enhances combustion while the engine is cold, and helps to bring the catalytic converters up to working temperature quickly. The Tumble control valves, along with new 12-hole high atomizing long-nozzle fuel injectors, reduce the amount of fuel adhering to the intake ports and therefore maximize fuel economy and reduce harmful emissions.
is it really could be the source of the noise and is it normal?

· BeerSteakTxas
11,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your sure it's not the bendix (starter) grinding? I hear that on a cold morning starting any new Camry.
I wouldn't say it bendix. to me this noise sounds differently. it kind light grinding/ heavy electrical buzzing sound vs metal grinding bendix (I turned ignition on when car was already running on my older cars few times :)).
never heard it before and never heard it on 2001 2000 or 2007 2011 camry.
gonna try to listen my coworker 2013 venza today...

· BeerSteakTxas
11,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Bascially, VTEC. The Camry also has dual camshaft variable valve timing.

The engine will advance the exhaust valve timing and retard the ignition timing when it starts to warm up the engine and catalytic converter faster, as well as adjust the flaps in the inlet manifold. You may be hearing noises from any one of these, but it's nothing I'd worry about.

Some cars also have a vacuum pump to assist in building up vacuum when the timing is advanced at a cold-startup, as there is little to no vacuum pressure for brakes, etc. when the engine is running with timing settings like this. I'm not sure if the Camry is one of these cars or not.

· Registered
2,013 Posts
Hmmmm...turn on/off the AC compressor and take a listen to see if it's the same kinda noise. My mom's 2007 Accord EX makes a 1-second clunk sound as soon as it starts up when it self-tests the AC compressor - that's normal for those cars and may be similar to what you're hearing. That was before they changed the 2.4 a bit, so it doesn't have that same actuator as the 2008-12.

I've never paid much attention to the Camry outside the car, but I'll take a listen for you once it's been sitting around this weekend. The only thing I've ever noticed is the valves are a little clattery for a second or two after sitting all night, but the older Toyotas did this as well.

· BeerSteakTxas
11,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

· Registered
500 Posts
From what I know the differences between the old 2.4L and the new 2.5L are;

TUmble Valves
Roller rocker instead of bucket tappets
Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS)
Dual VVT-I opposed to just single VVT-I

That's about it I believe.

Most of the tech in this 'new' engine has been used in the GR series V6 since 2003 LOL

The V6 is way ahead of its time!

· Registered
2008 Camry hybrid
615 Posts
Hello guys.
I start noticing a weird noise upon cold start up. It sounds like something is grinding. First goes starter sound and then engine noise together with this grinding noise. Grinding noise goes away withing sec. or so. It is not really loud, but it definitely not engine or starter sound.
It happens only on cold starts when engine is completely cold.
If I start engine, let it run for few minutes, shut it down and restart again, it starts without grinding noise.
Don't remember if car was doing it from beginning, never turned car while I was outside. Few weeks ago when temperature dropped below freezing point, I turned ignition through passenger door to warm up the engine.
After that I begun listening every start up. Every start up same noise. Every morning and every time after work I hear this noise.
No noise if car been driven recently or engine is still warm.
Do you hear anything?

not my car, but sound is identical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZK3jEwMZoRc
What brand of oil filter and variety/viscosity of oil are you using? The sound is almost like the car's taking it's time building oil pressure and components are rattling until it does. That problem will be worse in the cold with higher viscosity oil - or if the oil is draining out of the filter, as with a anti-drainback valve that's not quite right.

· BeerSteakTxas
11,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
From what I know the differences between the old 2.4L and the new 2.5L are;

TUmble Valves
Roller rocker instead of bucket tappets
Acoustic Control Induction System (ACIS)
Dual VVT-I opposed to just single VVT-I

That's about it I believe.

Most of the tech in this 'new' engine has been used in the GR series V6 since 2003 LOL

The V6 is way ahead of its time!
I owned 2007 2.4 camry with 90K miles -no noise.
my brother got 2010 RX 20K miles - no noise.
sister- 2007 IS250 50K miles no noise.
according to TSB only 2.7 and 2.5 engines affected, but I found plenty complains about the same issue on lexus forum, Japanice Mark X affected too.
so looks like only dual vvt-i engines affected by this issue.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts