Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandma has a 87 camry wagon(automatic tranny, manual windows and locks). The car ran perfectly it's just that it's been sitting for awhile and the battery drained. So she replaced her old battery w/ a new one... and accidently crossed the positive w/ the negative. Now the only thing that works is the headlights and hazards. None of the gauges, radio, brake lights, etc. work. And it does not start, doesn't even turn over.

I've checked all the fuses, only one was burnt so i replaced it... no change. I'm thinking she may have burnt the ecu.

My question is:

Where is the ecu located on a 87 camry?. And does anybody have any other suggestions on what may be causing this problem other than ecu?.

Thanks-

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
well when you turn the key do the lights on the dash turn on? or do you hear any beeping noise. also when you go to start it lissen for the starter even if the ecu is bad i belive the starter will still engage.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
ECU is positioned central, behind the dash. Pretty much behind the Radio cassette player. If you can get a hold of one, VERY simple to replace. Just unplug 3 connectors, remove, replace with new one, and connect!

The starter should still turn over if the ECU is burnt. Try the fuse box inside the engine bay, or even the 3 fuses on the positive lead of the battery. They are related to main systems of the car, including starter and alternator systems.

:)

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
I don't no jack about a 87' Camry wagon, but didn't it also have fuses under the hood under one of those back plastic boxes???

My father used to sell Toyotas so I've seen just about all of them at one time or another. Never worked on any of them though. For some reason I see a black box under the hood with a burnt out fuse. Must be my sixth sense kicking in, or maybe just an acid trip flash back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eh Masa,

Maybe some of the grounds went burn out. You in Hawaii so the grounds could've gotten rusty and just burnt up when it got crossed up.

PS - I'm originally from Pearl City, HI.

Aloha,
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok...check under the hood fuses...check for the fuse that says somethin like AM...that would most likely be the burnt fuse u need to replace..same thing happened with my buddy's car and we replaced that fuse and boom..worked just fine...so check under the hood fuses for that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chronoti:
none of the lights on the gauge cluster turn on when i turn the key to the "on" position, and no beeping sounds. I'll have to check again about the starter engaging.

JetspeedCamry, Mikey21, Magog and pgmomni... thanks for all the help!. I'll start trouble shooting immediately.

One more question:

How do you know when one of those black boxy and grey cylinder fuse/relays are burnt out?. I tried testing all of them with a multimeter and get a signal from some of the prongs but not all?. Don't know if i'm doing it right?.

Thanks again!

·
Grenaded piston
6,594 Posts
Have you checked the fuses in the little fuse box by the positive battery terminal?

Theres 3 fuses inside that box. 40A main, 80A alt., and 30A am2.

My bet is that one or more of those fuses blew, thats why your not getting power to anything within the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fixed it

^^^ it was the 80A alt fuse that was blown, replaced it and everything works:thumbup: . thanks for help guys:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts