Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my T100 is going to a junkyard. The frame is rusted through and the garages won't touch it.

Anyone have some suggestions of whether or not I should junk it, or if there is a place that will take it to part out?

Cook

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
Well...since yer up there in the rust belt...not much you can do about that.

I'd say if it's that bad...try to part it out. Whatcha got? ;)

Piccies say a billion words... :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
Here's one that's up yer way... Not too bad of a price but the high mileage might scare you. Since you know what the T-100 should be like, yer experience should come in handy to check that one out. ;)

The clutch pedal should be an easy fix.. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
If you are still set on a regular cab 4x4 manual...there's this one... :D ;)

·
Registered
1996 T100
488 Posts
93T100Cook, before ya take it to tha junkyard, let me know, id love to have some parts, lol

atleast ya would get a few good bucks outta it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I"m Fed Up Being Owned

Tell ya what...I'm gonna stick this out because I've come this far. I've done the break lines, now I need new drums, a fuel filter, and a line. If a dealership won't stand behind their product and service their customer no matter how many times the car has transferred, then :headbang: them!!!!

They CHARGE TOO MUCH, THEY'RE LAZY, AND THEY'RE SCARED SOMEBODY WILL SUE TOYOTA!!!

Well, if that's the case, it's up to people like us to do what they can't, won't, and are too scared to do!

You know what still makes the US number one? WE DON'T QUIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: We pull together, we make it work when others won't. I'm a vet and you adapt, you overcome AND YOU IMPROVISE!!!!

Cook

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
You got piccies of that frame? How bad is it? Have you tried gitting a quote from any frame shops?

I guess if you sourced a good frame you could probably transfer everything from yer truck over to it... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
Okay....got a deal of the day fer yah. There's a frame in Kenton, OH...looks like they've cut it in half? Here's the info...

Frame
Toyota T100 4X4, M.T- FRT HALF W/FAX,SUSP. AA022 $Call Brims Imports Auto USA-OH(Kenton) Request_Quote 1-800-221-3874 Request_Insurance_Quote
Frame
Toyota T100 4X4, M.T- REAR HALF CUT 103IN FROM REAR AA022 $Call Brims Imports Auto USA-OH(Kenton) Request_Quote 1-800-221-3874 Request_Insurance_Quote

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the frame is as bad as they made it sound. I was under there for several months figuring things out and didn't see any wholes. Its definitely rusted and flaking, but I think I can still get another 50-60k out of the engine.

I think I can still pull this off. The dealership simply wouldn't touch it due to the rust. I'll take some pics of the frame and post.

All I may need to do is have a straight line made and run it/bend it in a different directional path than the original line. I also don't understand why i couldn't have a flex line made that would hold up to ethanol. Lines like that would be much simpler and economical to work with. Anyone heard of that?

They also said the rear brakes are frozen up, which is probably why the bleed didn't work. I priced them out and they don't look exp. Napa quoted about $50.00 for new drums. The old ones are definitley rusted out and could use replacement.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
Since yer talking about the fuel line...it's under pressure from the fuel pump...about 40+ lbs? You could try it with hose vs lines...but you'll need to be careful about any leaks or failures. :(

If the rear brakes are frozen...it's probably the slave units. I think the drums themselves should be good but it wouldn't hurt to have them checked. Do you know if the shoes are contaminated?

I would make out a list of all the things that the truck needs to be done to it. See how much yer parts costs are and see if it will be economical fer you to repair the truck. If yer not that experienced with the work, then you'll have to add in the labor cost of a shop to do the work. If it looks like it's gonna be too expensive, cut yer losses now and move on...unless you just want to make this a project vehicle...then it's how long yer gonna pump money into it. If it's meant to be a daily driver...you'll need to make some choices. ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Bam,
I agree on the list. But the only thing I know for sure that needs to be fixed for it to drive is the fuel filter, fuel line, and the rear drum brakes. I'll definitely make the list and price all the parts as the exhaust system needs replaced, but my patchwork held up and I can wait a little longer on that. Labor costs are eliminated as I'm broke so i'm gonna get educated real quick.

I spent 2k on the truck, and only put 200.00 in it so far and most of that was just for tools. I have more time than money in it at this point. My plan is to try the fuel line and filter, then the brakes. If that works, then i'll keep plugging away little by little. If not, I'll sell her to someone who knows more about this stuff than I do.

I don't know what you mean by "contaminated" because I'm not that familiar with drum brakes. Are you talking contamination in the fluid? corrosion? rust?

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is a little late in the thread for me to chime in, but frame rust? what the hell? I don't know how many people, toyota dealers included, without even looking at my truck have started lecturing me about the frame rust. It's not a Tacoma!!!! If it's rusting, it's like any other pickup truck rusting! There was no recall on this truck! I'm not saying rust can't become an issue. It can become an issue on any frame, especially one on a truck less than 4,000 LBs curb, but if it is a problem on the T100, it will be from the outside in (including from the inside of the box out), like on any other truck. There isn't a problem with the steel that's going to make the truck crumble into the ground.

When I had the truck inspected last (before we sandblasted & POR15ed the frame), the tech schooled twit at VIP told me it couldn't pass because of rust, that the frame wasn't sound. I told him to show me, and he couldn't identify any spot that was unsound.

Rant off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since yer talking about the fuel line...it's under pressure from the fuel pump...about 40+ lbs? You could try it with hose vs lines...but you'll need to be careful about any leaks or failures. :(

If the rear brakes are frozen...it's probably the slave units. I think the drums themselves should be good but it wouldn't hurt to have them checked. Do you know if the shoes are contaminated?

I would make out a list of all the things that the truck needs to be done to it. See how much yer parts costs are and see if it will be economical fer you to repair the truck. If yer not that experienced with the work, then you'll have to add in the labor cost of a shop to do the work. If it looks like it's gonna be too expensive, cut yer losses now and move on...unless you just want to make this a project vehicle...then it's how long yer gonna pump money into it. If it's meant to be a daily driver...you'll need to make some choices. ;)
Morning Bam!! What are the "slave units?" I'm putting back in the garage tonight and jacking it up. Also, do you know what size and thread the bolts were to get the drums off?

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,747 Posts
Slave unit = wheel cylinders... ;)

Sorry...never got around to figuring those out. Haven't pulled the wheels off the new truck yet... :D

Oh...don't fergit to git a can or two of brake cleaner. Don't use water or compressed air to try to clean the brake dust off...and make sure you wear eye protection, and don't breathe in the dust. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts