Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My uncle recently asked me if I change my motor oil myself or take it somewhere. I told him that I did it myself for the past 8-9 oil changes. Then he asked if I ever grease wheel bearings and axles and I told him that I don't since I don't have grease thing and have no idea that i'm even supposed to do that. He told me that supposedly you have to do that?

How often if ever you guys do that? I was wondering if I should take it to oil change shop this time so I can ask them to do this grease job. What you guys think?

Car is 03 camry.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,100 Posts
The bearings are all sealed units. No grease can be added.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Yep, Toyotas aren't designed like American cars with open tapered bearings. Everything is sealed, and those on the rear are real buggers to remove too. Hope they never fail.

Now, tell your uncle you want him to show you how to grease the bearings, stand back, and watch the fun.

Reactions: Donald E. George

·
Registered
932 Posts
I would venture to say that very few cars being made now have wheel bearings that can be lubricated. Double row,sealed angular contact ball bearings are used front and rear on the Camry. These bearings are very robust, but all antifriction bearings have a finite life. Most owners[990 out of 1000] will never have a wheel bearing problem if they trade cars every five years.I keep my cars longer than that. Never had a wheel bearing problem. Not on front wheel drive cars nor on the old rear wheel drive cars with solid rear axels which used adjustable, tapered roller bearings on the front[greasable] and roller bearings on the rear.My 1984 Accord had tapered roller bearings on the rear that could be greased.Required an inch pound, beam type torque wrench to set the running clearance. Every Honda and Toyota after that used sealed bearings all the way around.Just musings from an old fart with nothing else to do. Regards

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. That makes sense. You guys are great! Thanks

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sealed means no maintenance, does not mean no replacement. Depends on conditions. Heat. Highway cars will require wheel bearings more often. On avg 200k is a good time to replace them. FYI, some of the sealed bearings are coming through with little or no grease these days to cut costs. Pop open the seal ring, add some. Sometimes I just replace the whole hub depending on how bad things are. Ran into an issue once where the hub was actually warped from years of abuse. So by the time its time for a bearing, the housing itself may be junk.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Sealed means no maintenance, does not mean no replacement. Depends on conditions. Heat. Highway cars will require wheel bearings more often. On avg 200k is a good time to replace them. FYI, some of the sealed bearings are coming through with little or no grease these days to cut costs. Pop open the seal ring, add some. Sometimes I just replace the whole hub depending on how bad things are. Ran into an issue once where the hub was actually warped from years of abuse. So by the time its time for a bearing, the housing itself may be junk.
I spent a lot of years in power generation and attended more than a few bearing seminars put on by the leading bearing and lubrication manufacturers. EPRI and FOMIS too. You are absolutly right about bearings. They all have a finite life due to wear and metalurgy.But bearing failure was mostly due to maintenance hands not following well written maintenance procedures. The old " if some is good,lots is better" bugaboo jumped up and bit us on a regular basis.And making the last nose picker in the door the designated lube guy/gal. And operations people pumping ep moly grease into Falk/Formsprag/Rexnord conveyor backstops and overrunning clutches. And people messing around with Trico Constant Level Oilers who didn't have a clue as to how they are set. Oh crap, this old fart is on his cross again and needs to find the Valium. Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts