Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was hoping I could contribute for my first post but that went down the drain. Just purchased an '07 Taco Sport Access Cab and I'm luvin the rubber off of it. Glad to see there is such a great forum for such a solid rig.
I had a couple of questions I'm sure several people can answer.

1. How to remove the third brake light for XM/GPS ant install? I'm guessing I have to access the light from the inside for removal.
2. Anyone every come across a Satillite Radio/GPS combo ant? I'd rather hide the both of them but I'd be willing to deal with the looks for excellent signal strength.

As soon as I get time to dismantle the dash I was considering changing the stock orange leds for white or blue. I have access to a good selection of surface mount components and and SMT work station. If anyone has already looked or has any part numbers for the exsiting leds post it and I'll check my stock or my suppliers.
 

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
Well I was hoping I could contribute for my first post but that went down the drain. Just purchased an '07 Taco Sport Access Cab and I'm luvin the rubber off of it. Glad to see there is such a great forum for such a solid rig.
I had a couple of questions I'm sure several people can answer.

1. How to remove the third brake light for XM/GPS ant install? I'm guessing I have to access the light from the inside for removal.
2. Anyone every come across a Satillite Radio/GPS combo ant? I'd rather hide the both of them but I'd be willing to deal with the looks for excellent signal strength.

As soon as I get time to dismantle the dash I was considering changing the stock orange leds for white or blue. I have access to a good selection of surface mount components and and SMT work station. If anyone has already looked or has any part numbers for the exsiting leds post it and I'll check my stock or my suppliers.
I suggest you seach for the first one as I know it's been posted before! I do believe Pb had a writeup for this exact thing! As for the second question I have not heard of such a thing but that does not mean it doesn't exist. Unfortunatly I doubt if one did exist that it would have decent signal quality. When you make a multiband antenna you tend to loose the sensitivity that a single band antenna gives you and therefore you lose signal strength.

As for that Dashboard thing...I would love to have a Blue LED Dashboard! How much would it be if I were to send you the PCB for my dash so you could switch the Orange SMD's for Blue ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
Well I was hoping I could contribute for my first post but that went down the drain. Just purchased an '07 Taco Sport Access Cab and I'm luvin the rubber off of it. Glad to see there is such a great forum for such a solid rig.
I had a couple of questions I'm sure several people can answer.

1. How to remove the third brake light for XM/GPS ant install? I'm guessing I have to access the light from the inside for removal.
2. Anyone every come across a Satillite Radio/GPS combo ant? I'd rather hide the both of them but I'd be willing to deal with the looks for excellent signal strength.

As soon as I get time to dismantle the dash I was considering changing the stock orange leds for white or blue. I have access to a good selection of surface mount components and and SMT work station. If anyone has already looked or has any part numbers for the exsiting leds post it and I'll check my stock or my suppliers.
there is a write up about the led change as well. if my memory serves me right, it involves a lot a lot of pin soldering and it's extremely meticulous work, but run a search on it.
 

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply's.

samcollett, yea I'm trying to search out the info but this forum is huge. If you happen to remeber the thread could you send me the link. thanks.

PiercedTiger, I haven't seen that one but the ones I have seen are similar in that they all mount by drilling a hole and aren't magnetic. I guess I'll have to just suck it up and slap down the magnet. Thanks though.

Sony, I'll keep abusing the search button. Not sure on cost yet as I don't have a part number for the leds, but I'll post when I do.

toku58, Pics are coming as soon as I wash her. Took out into the desert and moutains and she's one dirtytaco.


Anyone have problems with their DF-Toy not able to access the second input. I'm able to hit the disk button and listen to my XM player but can't get the second input, MP3 player to come up.

Thanks again for the replys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John_Hoffman: Usually I'm asking the same simple questions of from the people I work with. Yes it's plugged in. The factory radio doesn't seem to reconize the second input, it just jumps to the disc in the player or to channel one of the aux adapter.

samcollett: Thanks for the links. Has anyone verified that the Taco is using LED's and not incadecent bulbs? The hard part will be finding a similar spec'd LED to use. That is usually the case in any electronic component replacement. But I'm willing to spend some time at work searching.
 

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
Has anyone verified that the Taco is using LED's and not incadecent bulbs? The hard part will be finding a similar spec'd LED to use. That is usually the case in any electronic component replacement. But I'm willing to spend some time at work searching.
I'm 99.99999999% sure that the Tacoma Instrument Panel uses SMD LED's as I remember someone saying that the light setup was similar to the Camry which uses SMD's.
 

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access Cab
Joined
·
55 Posts
Somebody at CustomTacos forum posted info that you can change color of your gauges simply by swapping LED lightbulbs - model 194.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=110

You can get them at
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

This guy from Custom Tacos posted dashboard pic from earlier Tacoma but I know that our trucks also use LED bulbs so I'm guessing they would be the same (even if they are not - they must be some other type that is industry standard)
Website below verifies that Toyota Tacoma uses LED illumination of gauges - just check "Interior Features"
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/tacoma/models_access_cab.html
 

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I'm pretty sure the illumination is done by leds. Not many auto manufacturers use incadencent bulbs.

Pete78: I've been finding several write ups of people switching thier dash colors, but so far no one has posted doing it to a 05-07 Tacoma, so I can't 100% verify until I pop my cluster out. I'm going to try this weekend but time is dissapearing. Thanks for the reply's.
 
2005 Tacoma X-Runner
Joined
·
9,188 Posts
Pete78 said:
Somebody at CustomTacos forum posted info that you can change color of your gauges simply by swapping LED lightbulbs - model 194.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=110

You can get them at
http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

This guy from Custom Tacos posted dashboard pic from earlier Tacoma but I know that our trucks also use LED bulbs so I'm guessing they would be the same (even if they are not - they must be some other type that is industry standard)
Website below verifies that Toyota Tacoma uses LED illumination of gauges - just check "Interior Features"
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/tacoma/models_access_cab.html

Unfortunately, the '05 Tacoma uses a different LED system, it's not that easy. That writeup is for the ~04 Tacomas.
 
2005 Tacoma X-Runner
Joined
·
9,188 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
Well I was hoping I could contribute for my first post but that went down the drain. Just purchased an '07 Taco Sport Access Cab and I'm luvin the rubber off of it. Glad to see there is such a great forum for such a solid rig.

Welcome to TN! :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
DirtyTaco said:
1. How to remove the third brake light for XM/GPS ant install? I'm guessing I have to access the light from the inside for removal.
Welcome to TN

Unscrew the 2 screws at the 3rd brake light cover and the housing is just adhesive taped to the body. You just pull it real hard and it will come off. However, you will likely need new tape or whatever you choose to stick it back on.
 

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hcarman: So your saying it's technical. :D I pulled the lens off the other day to take a quick look. I could have sworn it was screwed in from the interior of the cab. But I suppose adhesive tape holds well enough. I'm reconsidering mounting the XM or GPS magnetic ant's up there. They scuffed the hell out of my Golf's roof. Plus I'm not about to take a risk with any leaks. It's a shame it's not screwed in, my Ranger was and I had cell ant and a XM/GPS combo ant through the third brake light. Never leaked. Started to look like a mobile communications vehicle but no leaks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
If the magnet is strong enough, what about putting some of that mesh under the magnet that people use in kitchen cabinets? I don't know what it's called, but it's sorta like foam, stretching, and grips like hell. I got a roll of it at a hardware store for about $3. I use it under my magnetic light bar to keep them from scratching the paint (2x 85lb magnets).

Still no name for it, but here's a link from a store that sells them:
http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.aspx?pageId=108&CategoryName=Shelf+and+drawer+liners

http://media.mydoitbest.com/imagerequest.aspx?sku=610941&size=1&warehouse=C
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
The 2 screws you removed holding the cover actually go through the light housing and into body. But once the screws are removed, the housing stayed up just by the double side adhesive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
I placed my Sirius antennae on the dash and my signal is outstanding. Normally I am forced to spend 2 hours running an antennae but for some reason on the Tacoma my signal is perfect on the dash. Sure saved ALOT of work.
 

·
Registered
Tacom Sport
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate everyones advice/experiences. I tried the dash mount and it worked well, 90% of the time 1/2 - 3/4 sat. strenth. Since I have to mount a GPS ant as well I figured what the hell and put both out the third brake light. Not too bad routing of wires. Used a little RVT sealant on the brake light just in case. ;) .
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top