Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I <3 Taco
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in need of help looking for a grill for my 06 Taco , not the normal horizontal billet grill either, I had in mind a honey comb, I spotted a taco with a black honey comb grill with the TRD logo in place, but never had the time to ask where they got it. Or any ideas, something that looks good. Links, companies, anything

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
Yeah...grill craft is the best product i've seen, of course its a little more expensive, then again...you get what you pay for.

I'm going with the grill craft when the time is right.

·
Registered
xrunner
339 Posts
thanks guys ...i love it to well worth the money spent and fit is pretty much perfect...i have had billet grilles before and like them to but this one just does it for me...and she does mean business haha

·
lovin my TACO
'06 Tacoma 4x4
61 Posts
the grille really looks awesome. hurleyguy and i both talked about getting it for our trucks and is really tempting. just think it looks a lot better with darker color tacos.

·
Wrench Turner
141 Posts
xcomm said:
Has any one have this in silver... and maybe on a silver truck?
Click on Fluxaholic's sig he has a black one on his silver truck. On that Ebay link the guy offers the grill in black or silver. Would like to see what a silver one looks like especially on a silver truck before I bought one. Definitely a nice grill.

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Just ordered top and bottom for my truck from usspeedonline.com for $260. My Tacoma Sport TRD is silver so i went with the silver grill.

·
Wrench Turner
141 Posts
KPSK said:
Just ordered top and bottom for my truck from usspeedonline.com for $260. My Tacoma Sport TRD is silver so i went with the silver grill.
Take some pics when you get them installed as I would like to see what it looks like. I also have a Silver TRD Sport and by seeing how the grill looks on your truck it will help me to decide wether to go with the black or silver.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
I have to be different than everyone else. All trucks can not look a like. And yes i will do pics since i will be the lab rat that orders this first.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
KPSK, you got big balls for taking the plunge on the silver GrillCraft. I'm very curious to see how it turns out. When it comes in, you might want to hold the new grill up to the front of the truck in various light situations to see how it looks before cutting and drilling into your stock grill frame. I got my g/f to hold it up in the dark and in broad daylight and I checked it out from straight on and from an angle.

Even though my truck is silver, I like the black grill with my setup since I have the black headlights, the black bull bar, and the color matched grill surround. If you've got the silver headlights, silver bar, and/or silver grill surround, I think the silver grill would look damn good.

Also, while you're waiting for the new grill to come in, get some black matte paint for the shiny bits immediately behind the grill. They'll shine through the new grill and it'll look pretty fugly unless you paint them dark.

·
Registered
07 TACOMA TRD SPORT
77 Posts
Thanks for info. I will be cutting all of original grille out and i will check to make sure it is what i want also. Dont want truck to be ugly even though i want it different ya know. How long did it take to install? Alo i like the looks of yours.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
KPSK said:
Thanks for info. I will be cutting all of original grille out and i will check to make sure it is what i want also. Dont want truck to be ugly even though i want it different ya know. How long did it take to insatll?
That's exactly what I told my g/f. I didn't want a new grill just for the sake of making it look different. I'm very happy with the result.

Here's a breakdown of the time I spent:

Testing how the grill would look in different light situations and from different angles: 1 hour.

Taking the stock grill surround off the truck: 2 minutes (I've done it a few times).

Cutting out the stock grill insert and anally filing down the cut edges: 20 minutes.

Marking and drilling holes in grill surround for new grill insert and screwing it in: 40 minutes. The narrow angle between the screw heads and the grill make it a little tricky to screw it in. Using a flat rachet wrench makes it easier.

Painting behind the grill: 30 minutes (you'll have to tape it up before painting and then wait for the paint to dry if you want more than one coat).

Counting the trips to the fridge for beer and to the local hardware store for a new drill bit, the whole project took me a little more than 3 hours. Take your time and do it right.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts