Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Camry XLE. My son is starting to learn to drive, so the motor to move the seat forward and backward has been getting a lot of use as we change drivers. It was working fine until about a week ago it started making a grinding sound. It would also not move all the way forward or backward.

I played around with it. Made sure no debris was in the tracks. Moved it without a person sitting in it (still the grinding, and noticed a 'shimmying' as the seat moved (i.e. it seemed to do the left side about 1/16" and then the right side, and then the left side, etc.)). I could 'force' it to move all the way forward and back by pushing the button and then adding my own force to push/pull the seat.

I found this TSB, TSB-0253-08, here:
http://workshop-manuals.com/toyota/...power_seat_grinding/groaning_noise/page_6940/
but it is for model years >=2002. Maybe I could us the same motor (85820-06080 & 85820-06070)? Maybe I could swap out the motor(s) from the passenger seat (which moves smoothly and is rarely adjusted)? I found the TSB, would the instructions be similar for my model?

Thanks,
Pauley

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
The FSM and the wiring diagram do not differentiate between the driver and passenger seat slide motor. So, just take a look and see if both motors look the same.

Seems like there is some issue with the motor alignment when it is installed, so see if the note at the bottom of the workshop manual page is relevant ... you can install the motor with the seat frame in place.

... post a snapshot of your work area, if you are so inclined ... somebody is always interested.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/5-introduce-yourself-here/207706-how-post-pictures.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks dc_98_cam. I'll have to see if I can find the WSM or just use the TSM I found for the 2002 and see how similar it is. As for my work area - it's my driveway. Nothing exciting there. Just trying to save some money by doing the work myself (if I can).

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,244 Posts
... interested to see what the motor and track area of the seats look like. ... where the motor installs.
There was a comment about installing the motor with the seat frame in place in order to insure proper alignment.
... I'm sure your driveway is just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.